ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve said:
jlambeth said:
Steve said:
I'm sorry to hear this. You must be frustrated. It seems like my date is changing daily. I logged in and to my pleasant surprise found that my expected delivery date is now "week of June 24th."

Looking better and better. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll be gas free... well, at least in my car! :D

For the record ... no longer Leafless, as of June 17th.

UkrainianKozak said:
jlambeth said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
... do you know if these are the L3's we've been waiting for?

Nope ... this are just the same L2 chargers we have in our garages - in fancy outdoor cases. They did not plug into the L3 port on the Leafs. They do seem to be the first truly public (not in a private garage) ones in Seattle though. I think that's what the fuss was about.

I think technically we got first ones in South Lake Union (Boren and Harrison) without any fuss (installed silently without mayor presence :) ), they are technically in parking under Amazon offices, but it is a public garage, anyone can pay and park, and charge for free.

Exactly right. I walked over and asked the parking folks (office, not just the booth folks): Pay to Park, charge for free. I'm fine with that ... but that really doesn't seem in the spirit of "public" chargers.

Strangely - I'd have less of an issue with 'Pay to Charge'. Seems more straight forward. ... or I'm just crazy.

jlambeth said:
Strangely - I'd have less of an issue with 'Pay to Charge'. Seems more straight forward. ... or I'm just crazy.

But in downtown areas where there isn't free parking that really is the only model that makes sense. Or pay to charge and pay to park. Would you want your car towed if it finished charging and thus you were no longer paying for the spot? Even the City of Bellevue public chargers are in the cities pay parking lot, which is a little funny since just up a few blocks there are a ton of chargers in the free parking at Bellevue Square/etc.

QueenBee said:
jlambeth said:

But in downtown areas where there isn't free parking that really is the only model that makes sense. Or pay to charge and pay to park. Would you want your car towed if it finished charging and thus you were no longer paying for the spot? Even the City of Bellevue public chargers are in the cities pay parking lot, which is a little funny since just up a few blocks there are a ton of chargers in the free parking at Bellevue Square/etc.

although - Bellevue City Hall usually has free/open access on weekends. I charged at Bellevue City Hall a number of times before the chargers went in at Bellevue Square.

fyi - a few local Nissan dealers keep alerting those of us on the Seattle Nissan Owners forum in Facebook that they have an orphaned LEAF. Seems we get a announcement about once a week right now. Just in case someone is looking to get one sooner and still waiting.

I sure hope a inventory doesn't start to build at dealers yet.

sirfergy said:
Considering the markup they're asking, I'm fine waiting another month.

?? - yeah I was wondering how much of a markup they are asking. no specific dealerships need to be mentioned but I'd be interested to know. Is "guaging" underway or is this an extra 1/2 k?

Finally got our Leaf Saturday from Eastside Nissan - Tony was great; and did a great job of teaching us all of the ins and outs of the systems.

We drove home to Sammmamish, picked up our daughter and drove to the outlet center at North Bend and then on up to Valley Camp (off the Middle Fork Rd, about 5 miles off I-90 Exit 34). When we got there, the "guess-o-meter" read 35 miles; but we had 4 bars left. We charged for about 4 hours on a 110V outlet, had 5 bars and 40 miles on the guess-o-meter. When we got back to Sammamish (after making the whole drive with the climate control on - set to 70); we had 3 bars and about 30 miles on the guess-o-meter.

Finally, no longer Leafless.

ClayJ

clayj said:
"guess-o-meter"J

:lol:

also good to see a decent experience at Eastside. I had nothing but trouble with them when we first started investigating a LEAF. Glad to see things have improved with at least one of the sales team members.

QueenBee said:
jlambeth said:

Oh, I totally get it - and it makes sense. It's just that I had to shake hands with the Mayor while he was telling me that the Charging stations at Qwest Field were free - for a year. Lucky us - then we pay to park, and pay to charge! I don't like our Mayor much, which may color my judgement a bit. ;-)

towing would be appropriate. the stations are not designed to top off or charge your Leaf. its simply to boost your range while you do business in the area. charging for more than a few hours should be banned.

remember, the charging options although limited is growing but the Leaf population is growing much faster. i suggest we take it upon ourselves to only "take what we need" which allows us all to get something.

this is a concern to me being in Olympia where a trip to Seattle is just beyond my range but could be done with just a few hours on L2. i would hate to come up only to find that a major realignment of my schedule was required because i could not find an open place to charge.

DaveinOlyWA said:
this is a concern to me being in Olympia where a trip to Seattle is just beyond my range but could be done with just a few hours on L2. i would hate to come up only to find that a major realignment of my schedule was required because i could not find an open place to charge.
Definitely a valid concern until there are more than enough charging stations. One solution would be to only allow one to park in front of an EV station if you are actively charging as well as a time limit. Put a timer on the EVSE that indicates how long the station has been idle - if idle for more than 30 minutes (or some other pre-determined time) the car gets the boot to make room for the next EV.

So I ended up buying an orphan, no markup, exactly the same config as the one I have on order. From my conversation with the dealer it sounds like a lot of people are not taking delivery once they realize what an electric car really is. Guess that explains why more and more orphans are showing up.

sirfergy said:
So I ended up buying an orphan, no markup, exactly the same config as the one I have on order. From my conversation with the dealer it sounds like a lot of people are not taking delivery once they realize what an electric car really is. Guess that explains why more and more orphans are showing up.
When I picked up last week, the guys (and gals) at Younkers seemed genuinely surprised that so many people were taking delivery after such a protracted ordering process. According to them, they hadn't had any orphans, although I noticed that they got one the very next day.

I wonder what percentage is standard in the business. I mean, with the launch of any new car, and with only a refundable $99 charge to get your name on the list, how many people would change their minds?

Are we so sure there are so many people turning down their order once it arrives? I can see how all the upset over delays may have spoiled the mood somewhat and how all the perseverating over range and other stuff on forums like this could cause people to shy away but you'd think now that the people who are going through with the order and putting lots of real world miles on the Leaf and having a very positive experience, that all the negativity would become a thing of the past and sales would increase not decrease. If sales have slowed from the upset and fears, I suspect they will rebound soon enough. The car has certainly surpassed my expectations, meeting even more of our driving needs than expected. It's fun to drive and a fraction of the cost of a gas car per mile to operate. It's just a matter of time before people will realize they are actually paying something like 8 times as much to drive their car on gas, as they could on electricity, for the majority of their driving needs!!
G

sirfergy said:

sirfergy said:
I missing the point here... what exactly do they realize? I realized a lot of things after purchasing Leaf, but definitely not prior to that. I realized that 100 mile range is unattainable with it where I live, but at the same time I realized that I don't drive more then 25 miles per day and once in a while I may go up to 60 for my commuting. I also realized that if I didn't buy Leaf, I would want the most efficient hybrid car which is Prius and the price for base Prius is higher then after tax price for Leaf and it's not anywhere near the efficiency of Leaf. Another thing I realized that after putting 2k miles that I like Leaf even more after getting comfortable with every aspect of the EV ownership.

Steve said:
sirfergy said:
When I picked up last week, the guys (and gals) at Younkers seemed genuinely surprised that so many people were taking delivery after such a protracted ordering process. According to them, they hadn't had any orphans, although I noticed that they got one the very next day.

I wonder what percentage is standard in the business. I mean, with the launch of any new car, and with only a refundable $99 charge to get your name on the list, how many people would change their minds?

Younkers had the first orphan ... way back in January. I think they are just making conversation.

IBELEAF said:
sirfergy said:
I missing the point here... what exactly do they realize? I realized a lot of things after purchasing Leaf, but definitely not prior to that. I realized that 100 mile range is unattainable with it where I live, but at the same time I realized that I don't drive more then 25 miles per day and once in a while I may go up to 60 for my commuting. I also realized that if I didn't buy Leaf, I would want the most efficient hybrid car which is Prius and the price for base Prius is higher then after tax price for Leaf and it's not anywhere near the efficiency of Leaf. Another thing I realized that after putting 2k miles that I like Leaf even more after getting comfortable with every aspect of the EV ownership.

It's not rocket science ... as I had the same thoughts myself. I really wanted this car - and also really wanted a new car (ie - get rid of what I was driving.) I reserved nearly 15 months ago now, and reasonably expected a car in January or February. Just got it at the end of June ... and had nearly given up hope of seeing it before August. It was tempting to throw in the towel and buy something else - and go one more round without the electric car. Granted, most of us would want our $99 back right now in that case - but I'd nearly forgotten about it myself.

I wonder how many forked over the $99 - and never told their spouse; not until the car showed anyway ...

Back