ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know anything about this? It might be good to go and show the colors...

Renton Launches Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

For more information contact:

Alex Pietsch, Community & Economic Development Administrator, 425-430-6592
Preeti Shridhar, Communications Director, 425-430-6569

WHAT: “Plug In” Electric Vehicle Charging Station Launch Ceremony – Renton City Center. The first public electric vehicle charging stations installed by the City of Renton will be inaugurated in a ceremonial “Plug In” event. The kick-off includes a charge up demonstration at the City Center parking garage followed by a caravan of electric vehicles to the four charging stations in the garage at The Landing. The kick-off will take place at the City Center Parking Garage located at 655 S. 2nd Street. Join us as we unplug an electric powered vehicle at the City Center Garage and then caravan with city officials and local electric vehicle owners and enthusiasts to the second level of The Landing parking garage (810 N. 10th Place) for a special presentation. These are the first 8 stations of 15 to be installed by the city in 2011.

WHO: City of Renton officials, community and business leaders, electric vehicle enthusiasts.

WHEN: July 12, 10:00 - 11:00 a.m.

WHERE: The event starts on the first floor of the City Center Parking Garage (S. 2nd Street between Logan Avenue S. and Burnett Avenue S.) and, following a short caravan, will end on the second floor of The Landing parking garage located at 810 N. 10th Place.

Steve said:
Got the invite on Facebook. Unfortunately, work gets in the way of weekday events like this. I'd love to go.

Ditto. Wonder if I could take a long lunch break that day.... ;)

I am going to be at the Renton event in my red eco package LEAF.

I am genuinely shocked by how many LEAFs are on the road in just the last week alone. I end up tailing/passing by/etc at least 1 LEAF per day this week on 520 out of redmond...we are talking about a 1-2 mile stretch of road here. This area was predicted to be a super hot spot for EV users, but I find this statistically impossible to be just some sort of fluke. Even more shocking is Federal Way/NE Tacoma of all places....I have seen one each day this week (except today). This area is what I would consider more on the commuter outskirts of the Seattle area (reserved for nuts like me who commute about 75+ miles a day and roll in on 2-3 bars). Hope its working out for them as much as this is for me!

Things are going to start to get really interesting.

"SimCity: Residents demand an EV charging infrastructure"

Brought my orphaned Leaf back to a loving new home yesterday after a day of driving around and doing errands and all, only to discover that there was one unforeseen hitch... apparently, the plug I planned to use to trickle-charge until the EVSE is installed has a faulty ground! Nissan's little level 1 EVSE just gave me the blinky ready 'sorry, not gonna work' light. Some shuffling of vehicles ensued, and everything worked fine out of the other plug. No big deal, though an unfortunate thing to have to sort out at 10:45pm!

Love the car, though. I'm totally trying to find excuses to run errands this weekend. :)

Packet said:
Brought my orphaned Leaf back to a loving new home yesterday after a day of driving around and doing errands and all, only to discover that there was one unforeseen hitch... apparently, the plug I planned to use to trickle-charge until the EVSE is installed has a faulty ground! Nissan's little level 1 EVSE just gave me the blinky ready 'sorry, not gonna work' light. Some shuffling of vehicles ensued, and everything worked fine out of the other plug. No big deal, though an unfortunate thing to have to sort out at 10:45pm!

Love the car, though. I'm totally trying to find excuses to run errands this weekend. :)
Congrats! I'm also squarely in the "loving it" category. :)

Packet said:

Know what you mean about looking for places to go. Do check that oulet out. The ground is there for safety. Also, the ground wire could be loose in the box, just waiting to cause a short.

davewill said:
Know what you mean about looking for places to go. Do check that oulet out. The ground is there for safety. Also, the ground wire could be loose in the box, just waiting to cause a short.
Yeah, the shorted outlet is no longer in use, and I have an electrician coming to look at it on Thursday. I'm pretty sure it's just the ground wire of that outlet box; everything else in the garage tests out fine, but after the EVSE went 'no way, José' at that outlet, I went and got some stuff to test, sure enough, that one outlet box is not grounding consistently. So that outlet's out of commission until the electrician can look at it.

Saw a blue Leaf parked outside the University District license office yesterday evening. Hello to whoever that was! ;)

There were 3 Leafs in Elliott Bay Marina last Thursday. I met the the other Blue Leaf's owner, but not the black one's. It makes sense to me that sailors (or even power boaters) would be attracted to these cars. :D

My Leaf is doing very well replacing my Entourage mini van as an SVSV (Sailing Vessel Support Vehicle).

I've started seeing two (or maybe one twice) blue Leafs on a regular basis:
1) Mornings, pulling onto I-405 North from Exit #9 (I'm watching you from the bus stop, have you seen my little green 3-wheeled Xebra at the park-n-ride?)
2) Parking lot next door to the Expedia building in Downtown Bellevue

There's also a blue one that parks IN the Expedia building garage, but that doesn't count because that's my co-worker! :) Funny that the only three I've seen in the wild (not counting our meet-ups) have been blue.

I've actually seen a Leaf on the road or parked somewhere every day since getting mine (and a couple times before I got mine). They're multiplying!

New Blink Charging Stations in Sodo District. Good news, we now have three Blink Class 2 chargers at the Sears at Landers and First Avenue in the Sodo district. Great place to stop for a charge. Plug-in, then wander through the Craftsman Tool section, maybe go over to the Starbucks, or go across the street to Pecos Pit for some BBQ. They are located right in front of Sears. Also, two of them are on the end of the aisle so even if there is a Hummer in the space you can safely "illegally park" and get a charge.

speedracer said:
New Blink Charging Stations in Sodo District. Good news, we now have three Blink Class 2 chargers at the Sears at Landers and First Avenue in the Sodo district. Great place to stop for a charge. Plug-in, then wander through the Craftsman Tool section, maybe go over to the Starbucks, or go across the street to Pecos Pit for some BBQ. They are located right in front of Sears. Also, two of them are on the end of the aisle so even if there is a Hummer in the space you can safely "illegally park" and get a charge.

Thanks for the info. However, the chargers you mention are not listed on the Blink website? Any thoughts? It might be a good idea to go to Electric Car Stations and add them to their site. You can post pics of you car on one of the stations for all to see. I did it with the Blink chargers at The Landing in Renton.

I will check out your info, if for any reason, to go to the Pecos Pit!!

saywatt said:
Thanks for the info. However, the chargers you mention are not listed on the Blink website? Any thoughts?

While I was starting to charge at Sear at Sodo, the Building Manager stopped by. She said they had just been installed and I was the first person she saw using them. It probably will take a week or two to hit the blink website. Remember your Blink Card to activate the charger. Unlike the ChargePoint stations I did not see a 1-800 number if you did not have a card.

highcountryrider said:
Blink Card :?:

https://www.blinknetwork.com/membership.html

"Blink Membership Benefits:

Enjoy faster, easier charges using your Blink Membership RFID card
Receive special, members-only discounts through a variety of methods
Reservation preferences
Easier, convenient payment methods
Enhanced Blink Network capabilities.
"
I have one card but I never used, yet.

highcountryrider said:
Blink Card :?:

The Blink website says you do not need membership to use their chargers; however, when I got to the charging station it wanted you to use the Blink RFID membership card and I did not see a 1-800 number to call. At the ChargePoint stations there is a 1-800 number posted on the unit if you do not have membership.

Membership is free and for now usage of the Blink Chargers are free. You can get a RFID card on the Blink Website
http://www.blinknetwork.com/membership.html

I also signed up for the ChargePoint membership. They have chargers in Bellevue and Redmond. I use them at Bellevue Sqaure. With ChargePoint they charge you an initial fee to get a card but like I said if you do not have a card you can just call the number on the charger if you want to use them without the card.
http://www.chargepointportal.net/
/chargepointamerica.com/charging-cards.php

There are several threads here on the MNL site, just search for "RFID".

Back