ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saywatt said:
5PM: Crossing I-90 floating bridge: Very Heavy rain, wind, lots of hail, 37 degrees. Windshield wipers on high, defrost on 80% of the time. Speed limits was 50mph plus on average. From the west to east high-rise, mile indicator dropped from 52 miles to 24 miles. ""I think this is important because I :?: if this is when the Li Ion battery moved some juice over to the 12v battery due to all the accessories that were on constantly during the return trip.""
No. The reason for the big drop is the highspeed drive gaining elevation. 12V battery stores very little energy and won't make a difference.

Leaf calculates range based on the past few miles - giving more weightage to recent miles. That is why this forum is full of posts telling you not to pay attention to that "guess-o-meter" - GOM.

saywatt said:
I think you need more than air to defog a window in the GNW - you need the AC compressor to dry the air. It's the heater portion of the defogger that eats so much juice.
It's a double whammy - you need to run the AC to dehumidify the air (cooling down the air past dewpoint extracts water), but then you need to warm it back up using the power hungry resistance heater.

Efficiency wise, ideally you'd have a heat-pump heater compressor instead of the resistance heater and an AC compressor - it would cut the heater's draw by 50-300% depending on outside temperatures.

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one "challenged" on the trip to the Revenge flick Friday night. The Lake Stevens-U district round trip is only 65 miles. I was determined not to resort to Plan B... Fred Meyers. I knew it would be a bit of a challenge with the weather. The hail storm and lightning as we arrived was a bit more than expected. I took the longer Hwy 9, Bothell, Lake City Way going south. Used I-5 heading home. In hind site I could have saved 7 miles on the guess-0-meter if I had taken Hwy 9 both ways. Great movie with a happy ending, at home too... 15 miles left. I kinda felt like the guy at the end of the movie with the Porsche in Palm Springs. :cool:

Hello. We live in Kitsap County (West Puget Sound) and there are precious few public chargers in the area.

Does anyone know if there are any L2 or L3 public chargers in Port Townsend? I would like to take a trip to PT, but am not sure I can make the round trip without charging.

Thanks,
David

countryleaf said:
Hello. We live in Kitsap County (West Puget Sound) and there are precious few public chargers in the area.

Does anyone know if there are any L2 or L3 public chargers in Port Townsend? I would like to take a trip to PT, but am not sure I can make the round trip without charging.
For sure, no Quick Chargers. I believe the nearest L2 to Port Townsend is the Nissan dealer in Port Angeles.

Bill

countryleaf said:

Thanks,
David

Also, there are a couple of L2's outside Poulsbo on the Chargepoint network. May help depending on where you are traveling from.
16285 Washington 305, Poulsbo, Washington 98370

Does anyone have more detail on the "owners" invite to the Seattle tour Dec. 9-11? I want to go spread the word but it might be too cold to wear the free T-shirt! :lol:

saywatt said:
Does anyone have more detail on the "owners" invite to the Seattle tour Dec. 9-11? I want to go spread the word but it might be too cold to wear the free T-shirt! :lol:

its a test drive event i believe. at least it looks IDENTICAL to the test drive invite i received 15 months ago. but then i read the email. we can get VIP parking, charge for free, but this caught my attention

and enjoy VIP parking as well as a VIP area with food and beverages.
plus, use our quick chargers to charge up while you’re there.**

that alone makes me want to check it out. will these chargers be temporary ones or the official QC into to WA?

saywatt said:
No more info, but as instructed I sent an email saying I planned to attend the Seattle event on December 11. We'll see if any more info is forthcoming. Sure, I'll take the parking, the food, and a few kWh would be nice.

Bill

Yes the "quick charger" caught my eye also. I'll guess they will be temps run via generator. Reason being is that I don't think Seattle Center would be a first choice (or second for that matter) for a quick charge location. I wonder if they will be the new Nissan "low cost" QC? I've sent them an email showing my interest in the event—Heck, it's a free T-shirt!! :D

BTW, did you take the Leaf on turkey day? ;)

Geoff

DaveinOlyWA said:
saywatt said:

its a test drive event i believe. at least it looks IDENTICAL to the test drive invite i received 15 months ago. but then i read the email. we can get VIP parking, charge for free, but this caught my attention

and enjoy VIP parking as well as a VIP area with food and beverages.
plus, use our quick chargers to charge up while you’re there.**

that alone makes me want to check it out. will these chargers be temporary ones or the official QC into to WA?

saywatt said:
Opps, wrong person - Sorry! :oops:

saywatt said:
No, that is me. And, I chickened out - took the ICE. Turns out we were there much longer than expected, so L1 would have been fine. We are going to the same place next weekend and will take the LEAF, as their neighbors have an L2 EVSE that we can use. :D

Bill

Yes, it was you.

Over time we will overcome this Range Anxiety thing. I was almost there when winter hit my Leaf. Now with heater use I've had to recalculate.

ebill3 said:
saywatt said:
Opps, wrong person - Sorry! :oops:

saywatt said:
No, that is me. And, I chickened out - took the ICE. Turns out we were there much longer than expected, so L1 would have been fine. We are going to the same place next weekend and will take the LEAF, as their neighbors have an L2 EVSE that we can use. :D

Bill

countryleaf said:

Thanks,
David

We e-mailed the Northwest Maritime Center (Wooden Boat Foundation) and they replied that they do have an L2 charger out front for public use. Thought I'd mention it just in case others want to take a field trip to PT. Port Townsend is an interesting town to visit.

It seems that there are quite a few chargers out there that are not on the charger maps.

Does anyone know of any L2 public chargers in the Shelton area? Preferably near Sanderson Field along Hwy-101? I see from PlugShare that there is one at the Taylor Shellish store but I'm wondering if there are any others.

Here is the response I received on the Seattle event next week. Perhaps this could be our next big PNW turnout :?:

Thank you for your interest in attending the drive electric tour sponsored
by the 100% electric Nissan LEAF. As you know, we will be at the Seattle
Center International Fountain Plaza, located on 2nd & Harrison Street,
December 9th - 11th. Please feel free to come any day between the hours of
11:30am and 5:00pm and bring your friends! General Parking is available at
the 5th Avenue Parking Garage (located on 5th Avenue and Harrison Street)

As a VIP you will be offered, complimentary snacks and beverages, a LEAF
owner exclusive t-shirt, as well as access to our charging stations -
including the quick charge! Please work with our Event Staff if you need a
charge. All we ask is that you come and share your love for the LEAF with
potential consumers.

Once onsite, please locate the registration tower, inform the staff that
you are a LEAF owner and they will take care of you from there.

If you have any further questions please let me know, thanks!

ebill3 said:
saywatt said:
No more info, but as instructed I sent an email saying I planned to attend the Seattle event on December 11. We'll see if any more info is forthcoming. Sure, I'll take the parking, the food, and a few kWh would be nice.

Bill

Countryleaf:

I live in Port Townsend and checked out the charger at the Wooden Boat building a few months ago. It was old and had a connector that WAS NOT compatible with the Leaf. I talked to the woman in charge and informed her of that situation. She told me that she would look into getting the charger changed out so that it would be compatible for the Leaf. Before going out there depending on a charge, call the place and check on the status of their charger. If anyone is in Port Townsend and is in desparate need of a charge, call me at 360-385-9956. I have a Leviton charger installed in my garage, and I wouldn't mind providing a charge to a needy Leaf driver. Just ask for Ed.

saywatt said:
Here is the response I received on the Seattle event next week. Perhaps this could be our next big PNW turnout :?:

Thank you for your interest in attending the drive electric tour sponsored
by the 100% electric Nissan LEAF. As you know, we will be at the Seattle
Center International Fountain Plaza, located on 2nd & Harrison Street,
December 9th - 11th. Please feel free to come any day between the hours of
11:30am and 5:00pm and bring your friends! General Parking is available at
the 5th Avenue Parking Garage (located on 5th Avenue and Harrison Street)

As a VIP you will be offered, complimentary snacks and beverages, a LEAF
owner exclusive t-shirt, as well as access to our charging stations -
including the quick charge! Please work with our Event Staff if you need a
charge. All we ask is that you come and share your love for the LEAF with
potential consumers.

Once onsite, please locate the registration tower, inform the staff that
you are a LEAF owner and they will take care of you from there.

If you have any further questions please let me know, thanks!
Hey, what happened to the VIP parking :?: :eek:

Bill

Back