ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
springbank said:
How do I charge to 100%?

other charging options

Also planning a trip to visit some friends in Yakima and it looks possible if I use the one in Cle Elum,

http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also been many posts regarding Blink in an unfavorable way. Should I always have a backup plan if using the Blink system?

i dont think you need help figuring that one out.

recommendations;

if you have a smartphone;

http://www.waze.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are on Facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope everybody in the PNW will join us June 29, 2013, 9am-12noon for the launch of BC2BC-2013.

We plan to have government leaders and EV and transportation officials present from both the state of Washington and the province of British Columbia. The folks who organized and implemented the world class West Coast Electric Highway will also be there, as will members of the Electric Vehicle Association. Media will be present to bring public awareness to EVs.

Again, if you organize EV events, please consider hosting your event concurrent with the June 29 launch party at the Peace Arch starting at 9am until 12 noon when the first cars begin the rally.

Why the concentration of DCQC in densely populated areas like down town seattle? Would it not make sence to install these chargers out of the city where people actualy need them. No one is driving excessive distances in Seattle. just two stations at either end of the city would suffice. We need DCQC around the penisula and out to the ocean. We need them to be spread out more evenly. The car works perfectly around town, it is out in the country where it needs fast charging support. Wilder nissan needs to get the next DCQC not another Seattle or Portland dealership. This is worthlesss!

mortisier said:
Why the concentration of DCQC in densely populated areas like down town seattle? Would it not make sence to install these chargers out of the city where people actualy need them. No one is driving excessive distances in Seattle. just two stations at either end of the city would suffice. We need DCQC around the penisula and out to the ocean. We need them to be spread out more evenly. The car works perfectly around town, it is out in the country where it needs fast charging support. Wilder nissan needs to get the next DCQC not another Seattle or Portland dealership. This is worthlesss!

two?? for an metro area covering over 2 million people? that would make for one hell of a line!

we need to get away from this feeling that we have a limited # of charging stations and they must be deployed in the best places. Port Angeles is deserving but so is Bremerton and several other areas in the Olympic Peninsula.

There is also a need for places like Aberdeen but it does not have a Nissan dealership for within 50 miles of the place...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11426&start=420#p287056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted in the DCFC thread, wanted to share it here too. Burien Nissan has their DCFC online.

2 million people driving E.V's? People who use there cars in the city dont need quick charging, the overwhelming majority of them charge at home over night. it's when those people from the city want to go to Aberdeen or Forks driving through Bremerton, Shelton, Port Angeles. Oregon has level three chargers out to the cost in three locations.
DaveinOlyWA said:
mortisier said:
two?? for an metro area covering over 2 million people? that would make for one hell of a line!

we need to get away from this feeling that we have a limited # of charging stations and they must be deployed in the best places. Port Angeles is deserving but so is Bremerton and several other areas in the Olympic Peninsula.

There is also a need for places like Aberdeen but it does not have a Nissan dealership for within 50 miles of the place...

mortisier said:
2 million people driving E.V's? People who use there cars in the city dont need quick charging, the overwhelming majority of them charge at home over night. it's when those people from the city want to go to Aberdeen or Forks driving through Bremerton, Shelton, Port Angeles. Oregon has level three chargers out to the cost in three locations.
Sometimes, some of those 2E6 locals get visited by out-of-town friends, who'd like to quickly recover some goin'-out-to-restaurants range when they arrive.

I used to think lots of QC's linking distant places was the key to better adoption, now not so much. it helps perception by proving capability and I'm glad they are there, but it doesn't change usability as much as I thought it would. QC's, for a limited range car like the Leaf are needed mostly where the car is used the most, in highly populated metro areas and then fanning out throughout the state over time. A car with the limited range of the Leaf will never be popular for long distance travel no matter how fast it can charge, since frequent stops kill average speed, adding considerable travel time to a trip. no matter the size of the pack, most charging of EV's happens at home. it's the unexpected trips or bad weather/high discharge rate during the daily commute that make the value of an occasional QC s so high. I've driven the Leaf out to Wenatchee and back and Portland and back and quite a few other distant places and I have to say it's not all that practical to do with any kind of regularity, not for the masses anyway. a 3 hour trip to Portland quickly becomes a 6.5 hr trip with lots of stops and waiting around killing time at charging stations along the way, and that's when all the fast chargers are in working order. really, IMHO, the QC roll out should have started in the densely populated areas and gradually fanned out, with realistic expectations of what task the Leaf is most suited for. on a cold day in the winter, when energy use is at it's peak and battery performance is at it's low, QC's are key even in the city where commutes are relatively short. even 10 minutes on a QC lowers the anxiety level quite a bit and makes the Leaf a fun car to drive in a metro area rather than a fogged out stress machine.

mortisier said:
2 million people driving E.V's? People who use there cars in the city dont need quick charging, the overwhelming majority of them charge at home over night. ...

mortisier said:
Yes, if the "city" or location of all of those EV's is a point source. However, Seattle is quite a long distance to cross back and forth. Also, I would posit that most of the EV owners are located in the more "well heeled" areas, actually away from the downtown area. For those folks, it would actually be useful to have something in the city. Imagine someone who lives in Redmond/Kirkland/Mill Creek, but works in Renton. You could also imagine working in Everett but living in Redmond. If I come home from work after driving 40-50 mi, I cannot easily refill in time to return to the city for a concert/theater/etc. Then there is the person who lives in south Seattle area, but wants to travel to Bellingham (alternatively the north Seattlite who wants to travel to Tacoma or the Penninsula). These folks need a DCQC on the opposite side of the city about 60 mi from home. It is likely that there will be a DCQC within a couple of miles from their own home that isuseless for long trips, but useful for quick top ups to get to the theater. Strange concept having a DCQC near home that you will hardly ever need (well except Oly Dave). When they start charging $10/hr for charging, most will charge at home unless it is an emergency or allows for a more enjoyable, long trip. So, yes, we DCQCs everywhere, not just 60 miles from my home. ;)

GaslessInSeattle said:
I used to think lots of QC's linking distant places was the key to better adoption, now not so much. it helps perception by proving capability and I'm glad they are there, but it doesn't change usability as much as I thought it would. QC's, for a limited range car like the Leaf are needed mostly where the car is used the most, in highly populated metro areas and then fanning out throughout the state over time. A car with the limited range of the Leaf will never be popular for long distance travel no matter how fast it can charge, since frequent stops kill average speed, adding considerable travel time to a trip. no matter the size of the pack, most charging of EV's happens at home. it's the unexpected trips or bad weather/high discharge rate during the daily commute that make the value of an occasional QC s so high. I've driven the Leaf out to Wenatchee and back and Portland and back and quite a few other distant places and I have to say it's not all that practical to do with any kind of regularity, not for the masses anyway. a 3 hour trip to Portland quickly becomes a 6.5 hr trip with lots of stops and waiting around killing time at charging stations along the way, and that's when all the fast chargers are in working order. really, IMHO, the QC roll out should have started in the densely populated areas and gradually fanned out, with realistic expectations of what task the Leaf is most suited for. on a cold day in the winter, when energy use is at it's peak and battery performance is at it's low, QC's are key even in the city where commutes are relatively short. even 10 minutes on a QC lowers the anxiety level quite a bit and makes the Leaf a fun car to drive in a metro area rather than a fogged out stress machine.

mortisier said:
2 million people driving E.V's? People who use there cars in the city dont need quick charging, the overwhelming majority of them charge at home over night. ...

You have basically nailed exactly what current EV'ers already know (if they have chargers to use)

It is really amazing that something so obvious to us is such a foreign concept. part of it is due to the fact that Puget Sound is very much a regional area. So many things to see and do that require 1-2 fast charge stops which is very doable without much inconvenience as long as they are properly positioned

as far as what that means, we need to realize that probably less than 10% of LEAF owners in Puget Sound live in Seattle but at the same time, Seattle is a prime destination for the state, region, country and World. Obviously World travelers wont see a benefit in fast charging but you get the point right?

the WCGH is a great project and links outlying areas in a way that is valuable and needed but it is not enough. OR has taken that project as a start and expanded it to cover the rest of the state. WA has not and its a big fail. We have vast areas of the state that are big big big destination areas that are geographically close but still unreachable with the LEAF for all but the brave which naturally means I have done it but had Nissan Roadside on Speed dial but as one would guess, most people wont travel that way.

I coined a term the "Forgotten 5"

1)Thurston/Pierce County (the most populated area in the state with only 3 FCs, only 2 publicly available)

2)The Olympic Peninsula which harbors Bald Eagle Sanctuaries, Great fishing, the Hood Canal, Rain Forests and nearly pristine beaches (they have none and not even a handful of L2's)

3) The Washington Coast. Gray's Harbor County has been hit very hard by WA's movement away from the Timber Industry (fueled by Weyerhaeuser getting out of the biz) But still offer a lot of potential for tourism. Putting fast chargers here will help encourage more visitors. Now, a group of us venture to the area in their LEAFs now but we would hardly qualify as "normal" ;)

This area proves to be the most challenging (there is not a Nissan Dealer within 50 miles Aberdeen, the largest city in the area) and where the State needs to step up.

4)The Cascades which might be taken off the list soon since WA has committed more money to the WCGH fund and hopefully this MAJOR tourist, hiking, camping and ski resort area will be well accessible. (lots of elevation challenges here!)

http://www.thereflector.com/news/article_1ef5ebd2-a616-11e2-b9d0-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5)Eastern WA. I add this at the risk of being called out since this kinda goes against the premise of the post of the LEAFs use as a Local/Regional/interstate vehicle (since most consider E WA to be another planet much less another state!)

and there are some people addressing that issue with private donations in Central WA to install a series of high capacity AC chargers (great for Tesla i guess...)

DaveinOlyWA said:
5)Eastern WA. I add this at the risk of being called out since this kinda goes against the premise of the post of the LEAFs use as a Local/Regional/interstate vehicle (since most consider E WA to be another planet much less another state!)
Thanks, as always we appreciate your understanding. :lol: Feel free to PM me before traveling over here if you need any advice.

I probably shouldn't mention it, but we do have some very fine wineries (I think one was rated #1 by Wine Spectator at some point in the past), so it could be considered a tourist destination for well-healed wetsiders. Please come on over and drop some tourist dollars. Oh, and bring a couple of DCQC's and we'll let you use them. ;)

DaveinOlyWa:

That article you linked to was inaccurate. Gov Inslee is committed to expanding the electric highway, but the governor's transportation package hasn't passed yet. I received a nice email from the WCGH folks and they say if it is not passed in a special session later this month (guess which party is against it?) then they plan on going to the federal government for a possible grant.

DaveinOlyWA said:
http://www.thereflector.com/news/article_1ef5ebd2-a616-11e2-b9d0-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From the article:
There are fast-charging stations already in place at the Gee Creek Rest Stop area near Exit 11 on I-5 as well as Country Cafe, located at 6370 Pioneer St. at the Ridgefield I-5 junction (Exit 14).

I didn't know that there was a fast charger at a rest stop. Is this an error in the article?

Luft said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

From the article:
There are fast-charging stations already in place at the Gee Creek Rest Stop area near Exit 11 on I-5 as well as Country Cafe, located at 6370 Pioneer St. at the Ridgefield I-5 junction (Exit 14).

I didn't know that there was a fast charger at a rest stop. Is this an error in the article?

pretty sure its an L2 donated by SEVA at both ends

Back