idle EVs at free chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

Over the past few weeks I encountered many EVs plugged in at free chargers, with a full battery. This morning there were two cars plugged in (only two plugs) overnight at a nearby shopping center. One was the center security car. There are 6 plugs at a nearby hospital, and it's not uncommon for 4-5 cars to have full battery. Last week there were two not even plugged in. One was a Tesla that, based on the sticker on windshield, had been bought or leased the day before. I'm astounded and disappointed that so many EV owners are this inconsiderate. I can't imagine that idle fees at pay-for chargers will be high enough to discourage this behavior. But what about free chargers? Can bringing more chargers online keep up with demand if folks are this selfish? Anyone else seeing this as an ongoing problem in your region?

rawlins02 said:
Over the past few weeks I encountered many EVs plugged in at free chargers, with a full battery. This morning there were two cars plugged in (only two plugs) overnight at a nearby shopping center. One was the center security car. There are 6 plugs at a nearby hospital, and it's not uncommon for 4-5 cars to have full battery. Last week there were two not even plugged in. One was a Tesla that, based on the sticker on windshield, had been bought or leased the day before. I'm astounded and disappointed that so many EV owners are this inconsiderate. I can't imagine that idle fees at pay-for chargers will be high enough to discourage this behavior. But what about free chargers? Can bringing more chargers online keep up with demand if folks are this selfish? Anyone else seeing this as an ongoing problem in your region?

It's been a problem since 2010 :lol:
As you will read here though, over the years, usually owners have found ways around this, especially with L2 extension cables. ;)

knightmb said:
It's been a problem since 2010 :lol:
As you will read here though, over the years, usually owners have found ways around this, especially with L2 extension cables. ;)

I appreciate the suggestion. I'll get one. However, I believe this assumes that the offending owner has not locked the plug into the vehicle, and that there is ample space to park without being in a fire lane, blocking traffic, etc. I wouldn't be comfortable doing this and walking away to grab a bite to eat.

rawlins02 said:
I appreciate the suggestion. I'll get one. However, I believe this assumes that the offending owner has not locked the plug into the vehicle, and that there is ample space to park without being in a fire lane, blocking traffic, etc. I wouldn't be comfortable doing this and walking away to grab a bite to eat.

It is assuming a lot, but I have seen pictures where someone was parked several spots away with a really long L2 :lol:
When it comes to hi-jacking that L2 port, usually you check to see if the vehicle has stopped charging and then a simple screw driver can pop any lock latch on the L2 without breaking anything. Better than just pulling really hard and forcing it off, which I've seen happen before to other EV others. :(
I've actually run into the locked L2 port myself and maybe a little shameful to say, I used a small screw driver to lift the locked latch and remove it from the EV. After I charged up, I plugged it back int other original vehicle, so I don't know if the owner even noticed as it appeared it was just left there all day and night perhaps. :?
Some EVs can have an alarm sound if the L2 is removed and well, it will stop after a few minutes I guess. I don't recommend anything I just wrote about since usually the L2 ports are not locked in and unless it's impossible to find the EV owner or it's an emergency like the weather is so bad, you need Heat or AC, I think asking for forgiveness is easier than permission at that point. :shock:

knightmb said:
I don't recommend anything I just wrote about since usually the L2 ports are not locked in and unless it's impossible to find the EV owner or it's an emergency like the weather is so bad, you need Heat or AC, I think asking for forgiveness is easier than permission at that point. :shock:

I suppose I just find leaving a car plugged in when full to be rude. From my experience, EV drivers at Boston airport park, plug in, and fly away.

Well past time that I sell my 2014 Leaf.

Back