If not at home, how often are you using Panasonic evse?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdmondLeaf

I used my Panasonic evse just twice for opportunity charging, even there is only one public evse in 100 mile range. Wonder how often are you using either not or modified Panasonic evse while away from your home?

edit - just twice within 2 months, but that was critical in order to get home safely. It is safety "just in case", today was 3rd time because I will be going home against strong wind

I've used mine once, and it was more of a show and tell. I used it when I was getting my windows tinted. The guy had never seen a LEAF and had lots of questions, so I told was showing him the EVSE and explained how it is powered off 120v. He offered a connection on a 20amp circuit and I got a free 45min charge while he was doing the tint on my windows.

So short answer: Once. For 45 minutes, and it was not out of necessity.

Upgraded EVSE, rev. 2

Probably around 5 or 6 times a month. Used at relative's homes, parking structures and lots.

I have the luxury of having an AVCON adapter which I have used a number of times and that there are J-plugs many of the places where I need a charge.

Depending on weather, once or twice a week. What has weather got to do with it? Weather determines if I'll go to the model aircraft flying field. When there, I will usually charge - sometimes L1, sometimes drag out the quick 240 volts unit. Not really necessary, but during cold weather I like the luxury of heat and defrost. And, as long as the car is sitting there, why not charge? Might want to take a detour on the way home.

Bill

It never leaves home. My upgraded unit is semi-permanently installed at home, and I have only taken it with me on two occasions as a backup and I've never used it away from home. I've only plugged in away from home once "just to do it" as it was not really necessary, just did it for the experience.

I used it once when I had to stop and get about 90 minutes of top up to get home. This was very early-on when there were much less L2 chargers around...

I was using it on 120V every day while I was working on my last project. I'm between projects right now (code for unemployed) so haven't had much use for it since. I did use it on 240V yesterday at my girlfriend's uncle's house. We've been helping him restore his 1929 Ford Model A and I discovered he had a 6-20R in his garage so with a L6-20R-to-6-20P adapter I am in business.

I also have an L6-20R installed in my garage in addition to my AeroVironment EVSE in case I have multiple EVs/PHEVs needing a charge at once though that situation hasn't come up yet.

After 9 months I have yet to use the Panasonic L1 unit. Home charging is all that I have needed and all the places I park have no EVSE provisions or even a 120VAC socket.

i use the supplied EVSE 4 times a week at work. The basement commonly has two spots near an outlet that are unoccupied when I arrive 4 days out of 5.

Unpacked from it's little sack on Day 1 and it's been plugged into the garage outlet ever since. It would be too much of a hassle to bag it up every day unless I was planning some edge-case driving with no charge stations to help out. So far that hasn't arisen.

It will assume its rightful place in the trunk once my Leviton 160 is wired up. I imagine it will be quite lonely back there unless my workplace starts offering L1 charge opportunities. But it's good to know I'll have access to some of the billion "fuel stations" out there if need be. :)

I use mine at least once every other week. Half the time it's on 240v. As others have put it, you never know what might happen, so having the opportunity charge is worth it. (Plus usually free!)

I've installed two L6-20 outlets over the last year at some places I commonly park for extended times/overnight, plus I have my "Quick240" device.

I'd say at least 15% of our customers use the upgraded EVSE as their "permanent" home charging solution, and out of those, about half have purchased additional units just so they don't have to move it from home to hatch all the time.

-Phil

Seems like a poll is in order for the top of this thread

0-5 times per year
6-11 times per year
1-5 times per month
6-20 times per month
21+ times per month

Probably a few gaps in this but 5 choices seems good. Ends up something like this.

Rarely
Up to once/month
up to once/week
up to 5 days a week
Frequently

I keep mine in the trunk. I cut the ground pin off and keep one of these handy in case I have to hot wire someone's porch light.

161857979p

(kidding)

I use mine almost exclusively for charging, work lets me plug in there. I'd say I use it 3-5 times most weeks. Charge L2 at home with Blink (never had any issues with the Blink either).

-Matt

I have the upgraded EVSE that is my primary charging cable at home. I take it with me when planning trips over the car's range limit. I've used it at RV parks and family homes, about once a month on average.

An upgraded (R2) is our primary home L2 charging source. In 5 months of use, we have removed it only once from the hanger on the wall to L1 charge 15 miles from home.

I've used my upgraded EVSE 3-5 times a week, plugging in where I can if I will be there for more than an hour. Mostly it's at 120V, but the foodbank I volunteer at allows me to use their 50A 240V outlet.

This has made a big difference in keeping the cab warm during these cold, wet months and not having to worry about running out of juice before getting back home.

Back