I'm tired of eco mode in my 2013 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of nice to have options, isn't it? I normally drive "D", use the SV/SL's "B" to keep the cruise control speed more constant, and use "eco" only when I'm worried about range. Our ICE RAV4, on the other hand, has always been too jumpy on the gas pedal for me.

For the first month I had it, I always used Eco. I thought it was the best way to get higher miles/kwh. But the driving experience wasn't what I wanted. The car felt like a wet sponge. So I tested out driving in normal mode and found that my miles/kwh are precisely the same. And that was going on the exact same commute, exact same times, same weather, etc... So I never use Eco anymore, unless I want more aggressive regen.

Oh, and my brakes are really grabby too at speeds below 5mph. It's almost embarassing sometimes with the "herky jerk" it does when I'm trying to creep forward at a light.

goaliepride said:
Grabby at high or low speeds? There's a (temporary?) fix if it happens at low, which is: Turn off traction control, inch forward, hold and press down the brakes FULLY for about 30 seconds. That's it. Mine used to be super grabby on/off style at low speeds, but now they're normal.

I tried on the way to work this morning at a notoriously long stop light. It seems to have helped. I think.

goaliepride said:
Grabby at high or low speeds? There's a (temporary?) fix if it happens at low, which is: Turn off traction control, inch forward, hold and press down the brakes FULLY for about 30 seconds. That's it. Mine used to be super grabby on/off style at low speeds, but now they're normal.

How did you discover this? Was there a service bulletin?

Nubo said:
pkulak said:
I think I'm too used to eco. I turn it off and like it at first, but after a while it just seems too touchy. Like the tiniest peddle movements change my speed too much.
This is primarily why I use Eco, as well. Just easier to accurately maintain a desired speed without having to concentrate on feathering the throttle by tiny amounts. D is just too fussy for me. A linear throttle mapping just seems to make a lot more sense to me. Leave the hyperbolic throttle-response mapping to those ICE engines that have to move heaven and earth to get torque at low rmps. ;)
My view exactly! I disliked D because it was too hard to keep my speed under control with the acceleration mapping; "fussy" is exactly the right word. I vastly prefer Eco for the linear power mapped accelerator. But I am a pretty good hypermiler, as opposed to a speed demon, so "easy-does-it" is second nature to me. And when I do want to leave the tailgater behind, just flooring the accelerator in Eco works really well.

Now, the only time I use D is when I want just a little regen slowing on mild downhill grades with foot off the pedals, then shifting back to Eco for additional slowing as I approach stops or turns. It is useful for that. But for accelerating? Never ever. I greatly dislike it.

Does it beep or otherwise tell you it's changed the brake algorithm?

Recent 2013 'S' owner here, I put it in Eco before I drove off the dealer lot, and have pretty much had it there since. The driving experience is fine and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. In particular, one-pedal driving suits me and the Eco level of regen is just about the right amount of braking for the kind of momentum-oriented around-town driving that I do.

My friction brakes, though, are grabby at low speeds just as others are describing. I'm very interested to try Goaliepride's adaptation procedure. (It'll remind me of my Dad adjusting the rear drums on our old Ford by backing down the hill while applying the brakes 5-10 times.)

I never drive in D and I always now have to hit the shift knob twice to get into it from neutral. I always drive in Eco because I like lots of regen when I take the foot off the pedal, and I don't like the instant jump when you hit the pedal in D.

What really irritates me, and I've had my car almost 2 years now and I am just as irritated by it now as when I first got it, is the low speed creep. I hate having to put my foot on the brake at low speeds. Is there a way to turn it off? I think Nissan should just let the driver program in whatever kind of pedal and regen and creep sensitivity they want rather than forcing us into what they think we should have.

I didn't get the latest firmware update, does it address any of these issues?

I think Tesla got it right with the Model S.

MarkBC said:
What really irritates me, and I've had my car almost 2 years now and I am just as irritated by it now as when I first got it, is the low speed creep. I hate having to put my foot on the brake at low speeds. Is there a way to turn it off? I think Nissan should just let the driver program in whatever kind of pedal and regen and creep sensitivity they want rather than forcing us into what they think we should have.

I didn't get the latest firmware update, does it address any of these issues?

I think Tesla got it right with the Model S.
+1000.
No way to turn it off unless you're up to rewriting the proprietary LEAF software.
Firmware update on braking had no impact on creep.
Only thing I know to do is keep griping about it on MNL and everywhere else. That probably should include letters to NHTSA, although I admit I haven't gotten around to writing that letter yet myself.

I'm back to eco for now. I do a lot of city driving and hills. Eco does save your battery I think. I second the wish to turn off the low speed creep. Funny how a company doesn't wantbto give the customer what they want. Maybe it's a safety rule and they have to do it for hill holding.

TimLee said:
+1000.
No way to turn it off unless you're up to rewriting the proprietary LEAF software.
Only thing I know to do is keep griping about it on MNL and everywhere else. That probably should include letters to NHTSA, although I admit I haven't gotten around to writing that letter yet myself.
Re: creep and NHTSA, as I think I've posted this here before, http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-12051.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; explains (to steal from http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-linkfarm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
NHTSA/DOT starter interlock and transmission safety standards NPRM for hybrids, that explains the whole rationale about "creep" force and directional cueing for a driver.

cwerdna said:
TimLee said:
+1000.
Re: creep and NHTSA, as I think I've posted this here before, http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-12051.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; explains (to steal from http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/prius-linkfarm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
NHTSA/DOT starter interlock and transmission safety standards NPRM for hybrids, that explains the whole rationale about "creep" force and directional cueing for a driver.
Yes, you have.
But the NHTSA mandate is for reverse "creep" for directional cueing for the driver to know the vehicle is in reverse.
It has nothing about forward creep, which is why Tesla intelligently gives the driver the ability to turn it off, rather than add more danger from forward creep than is present in 99% of ICE vehicles.

TimLee said:
Tesla intelligently gives the driver the ability to turn it off, rather than add more danger from forward creep than is present in 99% of ICE vehicles.

If Tesla can do it...

MarkBC said:
I think Nissan should just let the driver program in whatever kind of pedal and regen and creep sensitivity they want rather than forcing us into what they think we should have.

That would be nice, but I imagine every legal sphincter in Nissan-land puckers up at the suggestion. :lol:

placing foot lightly on brake pedal turns off the creep. the creep does appear to be one of the least efficient ways of moving down the road. I tried it once for about 2 miles one day. averaged 1.2 miles per kwh!

DaveinOlyWA said:
placing foot lightly on brake pedal turns off the creep.
You are correct Dave, it doesn't take much brake pressure.
It is just such an unnecessary and unwise thing to build significant forward creep into an extremely quiet electric vehicle.
An electric vehicle is so quiet, that I think the most common human performance error is to fail to put it in Park or turn it off. On at least two or three occasions when I was in a hurry and distracted doing something else I had failed to put it in Park or turn it off while sitting in a parking spot, and failed to recognize that until I saw the creep moving the vehicle forward.
Not a very safe good notification system.
Nissan recognized the human performance error when they retrofitted the warrning chime if the door is open and the vehicle is not shut down.
Nissan needs to do the smart, safe, intelligent thing and give the driver the ability to eliminate forward creep.

I flip flopped on eco fro first few weeks. But having used eco for almost 8 months I'm kinda use to it. Tried non-ecoa few times and it seemed to aggressive, maybe I'm getting old.

Epi117 said:
I flip flopped on eco fro first few weeks. But having used eco for almost 8 months I'm kinda use to it. Tried non-ecoa few times and it seemed to aggressive, maybe I'm getting old.

I'm young and drive aggressively. I like that I can rest my foot on the gas pedal and not have the car take off like a rocket. I don't mind pushing down all the way when I want power. Eco is for me!

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
placing foot lightly on brake pedal turns off the creep.
You are correct Dave, it doesn't take much brake pressure.
It is just such an unnecessary and unwise thing to build significant forward creep into an extremely quiet electric vehicle.
An electric vehicle is so quiet, that I think the most common human performance error is to fail to put it in Park or turn it off. On at least two or three occasions when I was in a hurry and distracted doing something else I had failed to put it in Park or turn it off while sitting in a parking spot, and failed to recognize that until I saw the creep moving the vehicle forward.
Not a very safe good notification system.
Nissan recognized the human performance error when the retrofitted the warrning chime if the door is open and the vehicle is not shut down.
Nissan needs to do the smart, safe, intelligent thing and give the driver the ability to eliminate forward creep.

I have forgotten to put it in park a few times and every time was lucky enough to be far enough away from the curb or building or whatever that nothing came of it.

I figured after I did it once, i would learn but I seem to do it once every 4-5 months or so. Now, I just did it a few days ago so hopefully I am good for the year!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I have forgotten to put it in park a few times and every time was lucky enough to be far enough away from the curb or building or whatever that nothing came of it.

I figured after I did it once, i would learn but I seem to do it once every 4-5 months or so. Now, I just did it a few days ago so hopefully I am good for the year!
Thanks Dave, for confirming that I'm not the only one that has encountered this human performance error problem. :D :cry: :oops:
I have worked hard at changing my behaviour in the LEAF to always push the button to put it in Park before doing anything else.
But it is like all the other distracted driving hazards, its the time I'm running late and focused on two or three other things like when pulling into the parking spot to go in and renew vehicle registration, that the mistake occurs. I'm like you, so far the error hasn't resulted in any damage.
But it is a significant risk in all ultra quiet electric vehicles.
Building in significant forward creep just increases the hazard.

Back