Increased electricity cost for charging a Nissan Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnKuthe said:
...when Steve Case starting mailing a free AOL CD...
When he first started mailing, it was 3.5" floppies, not CDs :D

My Leaf added about $35 a month to my electrical bill or about 40% of what I was paying for gas at the time. Also, I have taken a couple of swims through a 'free nights' electrical plan, during which Leaf charging costs dropped to $0.

John,

Assuming you have the 24KW battery:

Find out what he pays for per kWh.

Keep track of how many times you charged in the month and from what percentage.

If you were totally "empty" that's probably around 21kWh x cost per kWh. I recently ran my Leaf down to the "very low battery level" where is shows dashes. Leafspy report in had 1.2 kWh remaining when I parked. In my case I pay $.10 per kWh, making a full charge cost around $2.28 in the VLBW case. There is also some loss in the line not factored in, but let's not get into that.

If charged from a 50% SOC, let's be charitable and call that 12 kWh. In my case that's $1.20. Hopefully you are on good terms with your landlord and fellow tenants as there is some trust involved here on your part. Who knows when another tenant leaves a 1200 watt space heater running for 12 hours?

Most people are unfamiliar with how EVs work assume they suck up massive amounts of power. He may be assuming suddenly his bills will jump up $100 a month. In reality if you are driving 400 miles a month his cost would probably increase $12-$13 month.

HTH

I earlier spent almost half an hour composing a reply similar to yours, but John quickly straightened me out, outraged that I didn't know that he's an electrical engineer and obviously knows how to calculate his energy costs.

So, don't try answering his question "Increased electricity cost for charging a Nissan Leaf?" - we've both tragically misunderstood his intent, lol.

He started this silly post, not because he wanted any actual assistance with understanding his electricity costs, but to understand YOUR electricity costs.

Instead, to appease him, tell him what you spend on YOUR electric bill and then fool yourself into thinking that's somehow relevant to his circumstances.

Or just ignore it...

John unKuthe

alozzy said:
John quickly straightened me out, outraged that I didn't know that he's an electrical engineer
No chance in h3ll. He later admitted to being a nursing student and he fits that profession to a tee: numerically and technically illiterate, and a big chip on the shoulder..

SageBrush said:
alozzy said:
John quickly straightened me out, outraged that I didn't know that he's an electrical engineer
No chance in h3ll. He later admitted to being a nursing student and he fits that profession to a tee: numerically and technically illiterate, and a big chip on the shoulder..

I worked for IBM from 1995 when I had just graduated until one of 2002 when IBM had laid off 15,001 workers worldwide and I was the ONE!

I COULD easily calculate my Leaf's charging energy requirements, but I was looking for someone who could say "It cost me this much more a month for electricity." Maybe several someone's!

John Kuthe...

It cost me less than $.03 per mile to charge at home. When I am driving 300 miles a week that is less than $9/week. If you drive 50 plus miles a day and do all your charging at home, you should round it up to $10 a week to make it easy.

JohnKuthe said:
SageBrush said:
alozzy said:

I worked for IBM from 1995 when I had just graduated until one of 2002 when IBM had laid off 15,001 workers worldwide and I was the ONE!

I COULD easily calculate my Leaf's charging energy requirements, but I was looking for someone who could say "It cost me this much more a month for electricity." Maybe several someone's!

John Kuthe...

John, part of the issue is that type of question is generally asked when someone is trying to get a rough idea what it will cost them.

My question for you is, why do you ask?
The dollar amount alone won't tell you anything.
The answers range from $0 to $250 (WAG).

Yeah, I could easily... er..
JohnKuthe said:
I KNOW how to calculate my cost several ways. I'm an EE and I learned and love dimensional analysis and also used it in nursing school for drug calculations.

I was asking others what THEIR costs are/were? Calculated or measured, and specify which please.
OK then..

Never mind..
If you KNOW, then obviously you are already good.. :shock:

I'm reminded of a phrase about flies and honey... :D

desiv

desiv said:
sub3marathonman said:
Wow, I remember the KIM 6502 back in college, we'd store the program on a little cassette tape. :lol:
Magnetic tape??

Kids..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_tape

:D :D :D

desiv
Yep, I've still got boxes of punch cards :eek: a little larger than a dollar bill and made of card stock, handy for writing notes on or even using for shims by stacking them :lol:

desiv said:
sub3marathonman said:
Wow, I remember the KIM 6502 back in college, we'd store the program on a little cassette tape. :lol:
Magnetic tape??

Kids..

desiv
Whippersnapper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

SageBrush said:
desiv said:
sub3marathonman said:
Magnetic tape??

Kids..

desiv
Whippersnapper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

In high school 1975 we used to have punch card machines to "write" FORTRAN programs on punch cards then bunch our program's punch cards up and put a rubber band on then, put them in a box to be run on the IBM mainframe computer and the next day we'd come in and hope our program produced meaningful output on greenbar paper!

John Kuthe

Here are some usage numbers from my 2011 on a Blink EVE:

PSE Used
Plus Array Used
From Blink Equal Total

FY 12 1,287.72 8,768.00 14.69%
FY 13 1,400.48 7,958.98 17.60%
FY 14 994.19 7,368.70 13.49%
FY 15 1040.25 7,614.00 13.66%
FY 16 920.733 7784.00 11.83%

CY 2012 Total 1,402.82 8,283.86 16.93%
CY 2013 Total 1,180.71 7,450.82 15.85%
CY 2014 Total 1,041.14 7,666.00 13.58%
CY 2015 Total 943.90 7,684.00 12.28%
CY 2016 Total 1,039.14 7,809.00 13.31%

PSE is the power supplier. From Blink is the measure of the KWh that we used at home (very little other places). The next column is our household consumption (including the EVE). You are really only looking at the first column, but I pasted in total and percent LEAF of total because it was there. We only drive about 4,000 miles per year in the mild pacific northwest. Multiply your rate by these numbers and you'll have a good annual estimate range.

Back