iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
joeriv said:
vrwl said:
I purchased the http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFFG1JE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it'll be here in a couple of days (Prime). It's the one with the automatic on/off timer after it's been inactive for 30 minutes. I'll report how well it works as soon as it gets here.

I bought this one also - plugged it in, made the settings per instructions in Leaf Spy and it's up and running. What I really like is to see the 12v battery voltage - one thing that Nissan should have on the dash as it can be critical.
I tested this one yesterday and found, at least for the one they sent me, it would never wake up again. I had to unplug and replug to use. It also never went into power save always pulling 50 ma.

I would be interested if others have the same problem. Leave it plugged in but disconnect iOS device from it. Then after an hour see if you can connect to network again. For me network was listed as V-Link. Pressing the button did nothing to wake it up again.

Mine arrived yesterday. I'll play around with it this weekend to see if I also have any problems with it waking up.

I have the same issue - it does not activate after it shuts down - I had to unplug and plug in to get it going. If this is a problem with the unit, I have to send it back.

Turbo3 said:
joeriv said:
vrwl said:
I purchased the http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFFG1JE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it'll be here in a couple of days (Prime). It's the one with the automatic on/off timer after it's been inactive for 30 minutes. I'll report how well it works as soon as it gets here.

I would be interested if others have the same problem. Leave it plugged in but disconnect iOS device from it. Then after an hour see if you can connect to network again. For me network was listed as V-Link. Pressing the button did nothing to wake it up again.

I found this comment on Amazon re this device:

"If you leave this plugged in all the time, does it automatically come on (send the WiFi signal) when you start up the car?

A: Yes, it will, but it need connect via software, not your phones WiFi directly, thanks. Wu Wensheng answered on February 25, 2015"

A little cryptic but it seems that what I and others experienced is how it works.

I may have found a bug in the software. I have now on multiple occasions noticed that the day/night mode switches without my direct touching of the icon. Similarly the method of reading the tire pressure also seems to randomly switch without my touching the control area. Both of these items are on the lower left corner.

Seems to happen when I am swiping from page to page.

joeriv said:
I found this comment on Amazon re this device:

"If you leave this plugged in all the time, does it automatically come on (send the WiFi signal) when you start up the car?

A: Yes, it will, but it need connect via software, not your phones WiFi directly, thanks. Wu Wensheng answered on February 25, 2015"

A little cryptic but it seems that what I and others experienced is how it works.
That is more than cryptic. It makes no sense. What software? If the WiFi is not up no software on the phone is going to help.

The instructions that came with it state: "don't need to draw the Icar2 after the car stall (but still have power supply), 30 minutes later it will automatically come to sleep mode and stay in power saving condition. Tomorrow morning or next time to start the vehicle you can use the Icar2 directly only by press the switch not need do plug again, ..."

That is a little cryptic but can be understood that software will not wake up the Icar2 after the car has been off for 30 minutes. But if you press the button on the Icar2 it will wake up and you can link to your phone.

However, as all who have used the Icar2 have found, pressing the button does nothing and you need to replug to power cycle and get the WiFi working again.

Based on the instructions that came with the Icar2 the answer to the above question should have been a clear NO. You need to press the button to wake it up. So the person answering the question does not seem to have read the instructions or used the product.

epirali said:
I may have found a bug in the software. I have now on multiple occasions noticed that the day/night mode switches without my direct touching of the icon. Similarly the method of reading the tire pressure also seems to randomly switch without my touching the control area. Both of these items are on the lower left corner.

Probably not a bug. Swiping between screens can be a little difficult because of all the "hot' tap areas.

If you tap the blue asterisk in the upper right corner you will be able to see the "hot" tap areas which are large to make it easier to hit while driving.

It is best to start a swipe off the screen then move on to the screen to avoid activating any of the hot areas.

The night mode will also auto switch based on the headlights and the headlights come on if you use the wipers.

The tire pressure / battery temperature window defaults to alternating between the two but I guess you know that. A tap on the window can disable the toggling and then a tap can manually switch between the two. A long tap will re-enable the alternating function (phone vibrates to confirm this).

Turbo3 said:
epirali said:

Probably not a bug. Swiping between screens can be a little difficult because of all the "hot' tap areas.

If you tap the blue asterisk in the upper right corner you will be able to see the "hot" tap areas which are large to make it easier to hit while driving.

It is best to start a swipe off the screen then move on to the screen to avoid activating any of the hot areas.

The night mode will also auto switch based on the headlights and the headlights come on if you use the wipers.

The tire pressure / battery temperature window defaults to alternating between the two but I guess you know that. A tap on the window can disable the toggling and then a tap can manually switch between the two. A long tap will re-enable the alternating function (phone vibrates to confirm this).

Ok so let me recap/clarify:

The night mode always auto switches and there is no control to disable?

The tire pressure defaults to alternating even if I have disabled the setting?

BTW for testing purposes I am very careful when swiping. So I am pretty sure I am not hitting a hot zone by mistake. Unless you mean if a swipe is started anywhere in a hot zone then it is considered both a tap and a swipe? I am pretty sure this is not what you mean.

epirali said:
Turbo3 said:
epirali said:

Ok so let me recap/clarify:

The night mode always auto switches and there is no control to disable?

The tire pressure defaults to alternating even if I have disabled the setting?

BTW for testing purposes I am very careful when swiping. So I am pretty sure I am not hitting a hot zone by mistake. Unless you mean if a swipe is started anywhere in a hot zone then it is considered both a tap and a swipe? I am pretty sure this is not what you mean.
Actually no to both.

You can override night mode after it has switched and it will stay in that mode unless the conditions change again. For example if you are driving with headlights set to auto mode and you go through a tunnel that is dark enough to cause the headlights to turn on the app will switch to night mode. You then override night mode with a tap and switch back to day mode. You will stay in day mode while in the tunnel with headlights on and of course when you get out to daylight. You continue to drive and go through another dark tunnel. App will go into night mode again when the headlights turn on again.

In a typical situation there is only one transition from day to night so your override is good for the rest of the drive. The dark tunnels is a worst case where it would keep switching to night mode each time the headlights came on and off when you exited to daylight if you have headlights set to auto.

What is interesting is after all these words the actual code that handles automatically changing night mode is very simple. Where LightsOn is the current Headlight state and LightsOnOld is the previous Headlight state. To override you are just toggling NightMode.
Code:
If LightsOn<>LightsOnOld Then
	Main.NightMode=LightsOn
End If
Sorry, by default I meant the first time you install the app. If you change that in settings you can disable the alternating as the default when the app is first started. You can switch between alternating or not and which one is displayed (PSI or Temp) with a tap or long tap. Pressing the Home button to go to the home screen and then tapping the icon again to open LeafSpy does not reload the Settings so whatever you had selected before is still selected. iOS does not normally kill and app just because you press the home button. Which means the app picks up from where it left off.

The tap and swipe events are handled outside my code (iOS). In my code I am given only one. The system decides which one. Either I get a tap event or a touch event but not both.

At least on my test iPhone, I have noticed that the screen is very sensitive and I only need to get my finger close to the screen but not actually touch it to make a tap event.

Turbo3 said:
Actually no to both.

You can override night mode after it has switched and it will stay in that mode unless the conditions change again. For example if you are driving with headlights set to auto mode and you go through a tunnel that is dark enough to cause the headlights to turn on the app will switch to night mode. You then override night mode with a tap and switch back to day mode. You will stay in day mode while in the tunnel with headlights on and of course when you get out to daylight. You continue to drive and go through another dark tunnel. App will go into night mode again when the headlights turn on again.

In a typical situation there is only one transition from day to night so your override is good for the rest of the drive. The dark tunnels is a worst case where it would keep switching to night mode each time the headlights came on and off when you exited to daylight if you have headlights set to auto.

What is interesting is after all these words the actual code that handles automatically changing night mode is very simple. Where LightsOn is the current Headlight state and LightsOnOld is the previous Headlight state. To override you are just toggling NightMode.
Code:
If LightsOn<>LightsOnOld Then
	Main.NightMode=LightsOn
End If
Sorry, by default I meant the first time you install the app. If you change that in settings you can disable the alternating as the default when the app is first started. You can switch between alternating or not and which one is displayed (PSI or Temp) with a tap or long tap. Pressing the Home button to go to the home screen and then tapping the icon again to open LeafSpy does not reload the Settings so whatever you had selected before is still selected. iOS does not normally kill and app just because you press the home button. Which means the app picks up from where it left off.

The tap and swipe events are handled outside my code (iOS). In my code I am given only one. The system decides which one. Either I get a tap event or a touch event but not both.

At least on my test iPhone, I have noticed that the screen is very sensitive and I only need to get my finger close to the screen but not actually touch it to make a tap event.

So FWIW I have seen the switch from day to night when I have the headlight set to on (not auto), and had override to night mode (switched to day).

I have turned off the setting for tire pressure, so that was already done.

I am pretty careful about "wrong hit from sensitivity" but I'll pay even more attention.

I'll see what conditions cause both of these to happen.

Thanks.

As you can see from the code, anytime the headlights (not the switch but the actual headlight low beam) changes state the app will match the new state of the low beam (dim when on, bright when off). There is no memory that you had previously overridden it. You override after the state change if you don't like the change that was made. No current way to lock it in one state.

If you can find a sequence that always fails provide the details and I can do some tracing to see what is going on.

Ok, I will look again at those GID counts. So would this reset when i shut the car off, thus starting at zero at each boot-up? It seems this is how the Wh used per trip works.

How do I get the elevation screen to work? Have not seen any on/off settings and when tapping "load"? it asks again to tap "load" or cancel and tapping "load" a second time doesn't do anything that I can tell?

I will second the 12 volt battery comment: really like having the 12 volt reading!

Great info on this app, great work and thanks for all the answers so far.

Curt

finman100 said:
Ok, I will look again at those GID counts. So would this reset when i shut the car off, thus starting at zero at each boot-up? It seems this is how the Wh used per trip works.

How do I get the elevation screen to work? Have not seen any on/off settings and when tapping "load"? it asks again to tap "load" or cancel and tapping "load" a second time doesn't do anything that I can tell?

I will second the 12 volt battery comment: really like having the 12 volt reading!

Great info on this app, great work and thanks for all the answers so far.

Curt
The Gids count displayed clears at the start of each trip or charge. This is what gets saved to the Trip/Charge Log.

Elevation should be automatic. You may need to go into iOS Settings/Privacy/Location Services and check that LeafSpy is being enabled for location data. If not then enable it.

Things are far enough along for me to test the full release function and have LeafSpy Pro show up on the iTunes Store

So I just uploaded version 1.0.7 to iTunes Connect and it is now in the "Waiting for review" state.

A review may take days to weeks so the next test release (1.0.8) may be available to testers before 1.0.7 shows up on the iTunes Store. Version 1.0.7 might also get rejected for any number of reasons which is why I would like to go through this process and see if there is anything else I need to fix to meet Apple's release criteria.

Please continue to test and report any issues or suggestions.

Fixes in this release are:

* Wh/Gid range now 70-80 Wh/Gid
* Fixed bug that crashed app if the Charge file name was ever an empty string. Hard to do but I somehow did it last night at the SFBayLeaf meeting while testing Quick Charge.
* When you use a Long Click on the PSI/Temp area to re-enable Alternating between the two you will get a confirmation message just like in the Android version.
* Added a "%' symbol to the bottom of the right side units scale so make it clear this is % of Gids (281=100%) and % SOC that is being graphed.

One more question: I may be missing something but I am having issues with GPS data. Initially I had not enabled access to GPS, and now that I have I can never get the app to use the GPS.

Am I missing something?

epirali said:
One more question: I may be missing something but I am having issues with GPS data. Initially I had not enabled access to GPS, and now that I have I can never get the app to use the GPS.

Am I missing something?
I will need to add some additional messages for GPS status. Then we can better see where the problem is.

epirali said:

Am I missing something?
Can you go to the Privacy Settings and select Location Services (which should be On). Under the list of installed apps that want to access location data you should find LeafSpy if not let me know. For LeafSpy what does it list for the permission (Blank, Never, While Using, Always, On, Off or something else)?

After doing some testing I think you will find the permission field blank. Select 'While Using" and it should start working.

There is a bug in the code that should trigger the popup from iOS for you to give permission for LeafSpy to use Location data. Will be fixed in next release. For now people will need to manually give permission to LeafSpy in the Privacy Settings.

Turbo3 said:
epirali said:

Am I missing something?
Can you go to the Privacy Settings and select Location Services (which should be On). Under the list of installed apps that want to access location data you should find LeafSpy if not let me know. For LeafSpy what does it list for the permission (Blank, Never, While Using, Always, On, Off or something else)?

After doing some testing I think you will find the permission field blank. Select 'While Using" and it should start working.

There is a bug in the code that should trigger the popup from iOS for you to give permission for LeafSpy to use Location data. Will be fixed in next release. For now people will need to manually give permission to LeafSpy in the Privacy Settings.

My options are always and never, no while using. And I have noticed that no matter how many times I select always it keeps reverting to neither (no option is checked).

epirali said:
Turbo3 said:
epirali said:

Am I missing something?

My options are always and never, no while using. And I have noticed that no matter how many times I select always it keeps reverting to neither (no option is checked).
That would be the problem. Not being able to set Always. Next release should fix that.

What iOS device do you have?

Turbo3 said:
epirali said:

That would be the problem. Not being able to set Always. Next release should fix that.

What iOS device do you have?

iPhone 5s, running 8.1.3

Version 1.0.8 was just uploaded to iTunes Connect and is "Waiting for Review"

* GPS fixes so it should ask you to enable Location Services
* Allow enabling GPS even if Logging is disabled
* Wh/Gid range changed from 75-80 to 70-80
* Fix crash if Charge file name was null string
* Added % sign to right side bottom of Charge Graph

8:40 AM 3/2 - "In Review"

Back