iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeafSpy Pro with Dropbox is out for a test right now. I put the iPhone in the glovebox with LeafSpy Pro running and Dropbox enabled. With the LeafLogger web app I can track where the Leaf is as my wife drives to class.

I like it better than the Android setup with FolderSync. FolerSync always erased the file before copying it over. Cycle rate is also very good. Set at one minute sync the updated file shows up on the home PC at 1-2 minute intervals.

For now Dropbox users will be limited to 100 users while the app is in development mode. To get out of development mode and into Production the Dropbox people need to test the function. That is going to be interesting as I can not really release the app to iTunes if it is limited to 100 people so I am going to need them to send me the email address of the person testing and make them a tester. They are also going to need to get a WiFi OBDII adapter and a Leaf. We'll see how well that goes.

If they are willing to accept just seeing folders created by the app and not actual files transferred then they won't need a Leaf or Adapter.

As I said above, while I have version 1.0.10 in formal release to iTunes mode I can not upload another app for testing. So until the now "old" version without Dropbox support gets released you will not be able to test this new Dropbox version.

LeafLogger now shows the Leaf parked. 33 min trip, 14.9 miles, Avg Spee 24.6 mph, 24% SOC change and used 57 Gids.

QueenBee said:
Nubo said:
Hope we don't need this dropbox thing to run the app?

That's optional as a way to get the logs off the phone quickly, and even in near real time.
Yes, totally optional. Default setting will be not to use Dropbox.

That being said, it is the easiest way to get data out of the app. Otherwise you need to plug into iTunes to transfer any data. Once enabled and linked data just shows up magically in a folder.

I just added a Dubug Logs folder to make it easier for me to see the data I capture while debugging a problem.

Completely late to the party and very excited to see Leaf Spy on the iOS platform. Is there an update? I'd love to buy this app.

Last Thursday (one week after I uploaded the app) Apple finally started reviewing it. But two hours later they requested I make a video showing the app working. So I made a video and resubmitted it to iTunes. LeafSpy has been in "Waiting for Review" since then. Looks like I am at the bottom of the queue again. Perhaps by Thursday they will get around to reviewing the video.

If you have a device running iOS 8+ you can send me an email to join the testers' group and run the same code I gave Apple.

While waiting I have been working on the next release it fixes a number of bugs, adds Dropbox support and just now I am testing having the app run in the background or while the screen is off.

Turbo3 said:
Last Thursday (one week after I uploaded the app) Apple finally started reviewing it. But two hours later they requested I make a video showing the app working. So I made a video and resubmitted it to iTunes. LeafSpy has been in "Waiting for Review" since then. Looks like I am at the bottom of the queue again. Perhaps by Thursday they will get around to reviewing the video.

If you have a device running iOS 8+ you can send me an email to join the testers' group and run the same code I gave Apple.

While waiting I have been working on the next release it fixes a number of bugs, adds Dropbox support and just now I am testing having the app run in the background or while the screen is off.

Woo hooo I'll wait for the next release, this is great of you to do for us iPhone users ! I'll be a loyal customer for sure !

S

Turbo3 said:

Running in the background or when the screen is off is a good idea, especially for folks who use their normal phone that they carry around to run this. This allows keeping the logging going while doing something else on the phone. It already does the right thing when a call comes in or if you ask Siri to read a text or something, picking up where it left off.

Another use model is that someone might just leave a spare old iphone in the car, plugged into the 12v socket. In this case the user would just hit the sleep button when they shut the car off. If the app keeps running in that case, it should be careful to not waste power when the leaf isn't talking, since the lighter socket is not powered when the car is off (or charging.) Many users may have wifi dongles which are always powered on and so the network is up, but the leaf is not. If the app runs, and uses power polling to see if the leaf is up, the battery in the phone could discharge a bunch. Having an option to have it not run when the screen is off, or when the screen is off and the phone is not plugged in might be desirable.

The way Background mode works is as follows.

Case 1: In the app you have not enabled GPS to run all the time. Once the app has connect to the Leaf (Leaf has been turned on) you can switch to another app or turn off the screen. App will keep running in the background as long as the Leaf is not turned off. If you turn the Leaf off background operation will stop. If you have turned the Leaf off and then turned it back on you will need to bring the app back into the foreground and let it connect before it will run in the background again.

Case 2: You have enabled GPS to be running all the time in the app. Once the app has connected to the OBDII WiFi adapter (Leaf does not need to be on) you can switch to another app or turn the screen off. App will keep running in the background. If the selected WiFi adapter changes to something other then the OBDII WiFi adapter you will need to manually re-select the OBDII WiFi adapter. The app, even in the background, will then start to communicate with the OBDII WiFi adapter. So you don't need to bring the app back into the foreground. To stop the background mode either kill the app or go into the app settings and disable always running GPS.

For Case 2 I can run an old iPhone 4 for about 7 hours on internal batteries before it dies.

What is keeping the app running in the background is GPS. That is the reason iOS is letting the app continue to run. When the app turns off GPS iOS knows to not let the app run in the background. So once the app turns off GPS the only way to get the app to run again is to bring it to the foreground and reconnect to the Leaf. iOS needs a reason to let an app run in the background unlike Android.

A combination of factors.

LEAFStat the other iOS app goes for $9.99. LeafSpy Pro has a lot more function than LEAFStat. I also had to purchase a Mac computer, yearly developer's fees and lots of WiFi adapters some costing $80 or more.

Keep in mind I only get 70% and must pay state and federal taxes plus VAT and other fees on international sales.

It will take a lot of sales to break even not including my time. If I were to add in my time at my normal rate I don't think I will ever break even. So this is more a hobby.

Search still does not work but direct link works for me. Please try again.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafspy-pro/id967376861?mt=8

It may take a second or two to load. Here is what it should look like.
bDkTxk.png

Turbo3 said:
It will take a lot of sales to break even not including my time. If I were to add in my time at my normal rate I don't think I will ever break even. So this is more a hobby.
We all appreciate your wonderfully helpful hobby, and understand it is a wonderful donation to the community, not a for profit endeavor.

The higher iOS price was just a little humorous.
At least to an Android user who doesn't have any Apple devices yet.
With the new iWatch you never know ;)

this will be the third time I've happily paid. Original donation and have now bought both the android and iOS versions and a fourth for LEAFStat. The moment Ingineer talked about his plans of making a hardware monitor I knew the real solution for the masses was a phone app. I'm glad you made my imagination come true using existing displays everyone already has and relatively cheap dongles. Thanks for all your hard work!

Back