Is it ok to skip 'Park' and just hit the 'Off' button?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milanski

Ever eager to reduce the number of button presses, I noticed that I could just hit the big orange 'Off' button and the car would go into park

Anyone know if this causes any harm?

That is what I do - just turn the car off (when not rolling :p ).

And, if you want to reduce control actions, the parking brake will auto release if you have your seat belt connected, the selector is in D, ECO, or R, and you advance the accelerator.

Bill

That bring another question did anyone try emergency shut off mode (taping on ON switch 3x or pressing ON switch for 3 sec). If so what happened. Is P engaged right on or after car lost speed. Another question did you/are you using electric parking brake?

No, but on the subject of pressing buttons counter-intuitively, today I for the first time tried shifting into "N" by moving the shift lever into reverse at speeds over 7 mph. LEAFfan, our forum's efficiency leader, informed me that coasting to a stop in neutral is more mileage efficient than coasting in gear and gaining regeneration. Going into N by trying to go into R is faster than moving the shift lever twice to the port side, as recommended by the manual.

After years of driving a Prius, I just assumed that of course the LEAF would work the same way, that turning it off would put it in Park. I never use the Park button in the Prius or the LEAF -- well, except if I am going to take my foot off the brake pedal while the car is on, such as turning around to get something from the back seat, or letting my wife listen to the radio while I dash into a store.

EdmondLeaf said:
That bring another question did anyone try emergency shut off mode (taping on ON switch 3x or pressing ON switch for 3 sec). If so what happened. Is P engaged right on or after car lost speed.
That would be insane! The way Park works is it rams a piece of metal between two teeth in a special gear. If that happened at speed, you would end up with pieces of metal knocking around in the transmission/transaxle case. No way will the electronics let that happen while the car is moving.

Ray

planet4ever said:
No way will the electronics let that happen while the car is moving.
Unless it relies on the vehicle speed sensor signal that all you guys are hacking so you can use the NAV panel while moving! :)

Actually, IMHO, it's much better NOT to press P. I know of people who've accidentally left their Leaf powered on when they parked. If you never press P, you'll know it if you try to get out without powering down, especially if you don't set the parking brake :lol:

Back