Is something wrong with my battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENEV

Upon starting the LEAF up in the morning(set to 100% charge)the range indicator is indicating 70-72 miles(D) and 78-80(ECO).

The battery temperature = 4 bars
Garage temperature= 32F-40F

Does this sound right?

D'you mean, do the miles seem right (..yes..) or are you asking is that what to expect the lying GOM to say?! :lol:

GREENEV said:
Upon starting the LEAF up in the morning(set to 100% charge)the range indicator is indicating 70-72 miles(D) and 78-80(ECO).

Does this sound right?

Nothing is wrong with your battery. I hate to call the GOM right...

GOM is a guess based on how fast you drive, how much heat you use, the battery temperatures, the state of charge and the phase of the moon.

It will read lower in winter. You likely use some heat and the battery is colder and stores less energy, and air is slightly thicker at colder temperatures. Oh, and the phase of the moon? That is just a joke.

The GOM actually works really well, in my opinion, as long as you understand where the number is coming from. I have found it is accurate the vast majority of the time, and those times that it is not accurate, I understand the reason it is not. For example, I've been driving on side-streets on a warm weather day, then the next day is cold and I'm going to be on the highway. I know the initial estimate of my range will be way off.

adric22 said:
The GOM actually works really well, in my opinion, as long as you understand where the number is coming from. I have found it is accurate the vast majority of the time, and those times that it is not accurate, I understand the reason it is not. For example, I've been driving on side-streets on a warm weather day, then the next day is cold and I'm going to be on the highway. I know the initial estimate of my range will be way off.

Some background: The GOM was terrible and truely useless for 2011 and 2012 Leafs. Still the majority of people posting on these forums own these cars, and their comments about how useless the GOM is on these is correct.

However, the GOM for 2013 is MUCH better, though can still mislead the driver. Specifically, if you drive with a fairly stable Energy Efficiency (I drive 4-4.5 mi/kwh on both city streets and hiway), the GOM is very accurate. This means it is very useful, but if you drive on hills, or faster on the highway than 60mph, the GOM will mislead you. I have two 2013 Leafs, and because of the comments on these boards, didn't use the GOM at all for the first 4 months we had the cars. As I became aware of how close it was indicating, compared to SOC/GID charts, I started using it more and more.

It still has a major limitation, that is it gives no information if you drive below Very Low Battery warning-VLBW. If you want to get the greatest range, you will still need a real State of Charge meter (LeafSpy or LeafDD, etc). This is especially useful on the 2013 Leaf as there are more miles of charge left on the battery below VLBW than on the 2011 and 2012 Leafs.

stjohnh said:
As I became aware of how close it was indicating, compared to SOC/GID charts, I started using it more and more.
I wish they could give you two numbers, like some of the other plug-in cars do. One is a best case scenario and one is a worst case scenario. Then give you some sort of line in the middle that moves closer to one or the other depending on how your driving changes.

adric22 said:

I agree. On the 2013 they become more reliable, however, mine (at times) still says odd things. Like yesterday, it calculated if I left the heat off I should be able to go 90 miles (forecasted HIGH of -8)!

I have still learned to ignore it and just go off the battery percentage showing. I find that what I am getting for mileage in the first 10, 25, 33, and 50 percent all calculate out to the same (+/- a few miles).

GREENEV said:

Does this sound right?
Yes, just remember the DTE indicator (GOM - guess-o-meter) displays numbers that the computer has calculated based upon your driving style (efficiency driven) in your previous trip. You'll always see a higher estimated number in ECO than in D.

If you're not doing all the calculations, using a LEAFscan, GID meter or tracking kWh, etc. and don't have to stretch every bit of juice out of your battery for each trip, I believe I read there's 6.5-7 miles per fuel bar; this was mentioned in one of the older threads or it could be in a chart in the wiki. That's without heat or AC, of course. Cold weather always takes a hit on your battery and range. I try to keep that in mind, but YMMV.

GREENEV said:
Do the miles on the GOM seem correct for those conditions?
Your battery and car are fine.

GOM is bad at best, worthless and idiotic at worse. I find in the winter it's consistently overrating my range by a factor of almost two, this despite now weeks straight of cold weather and fairly consistent miles/kWh. The damn thing just refuses to learn.

'12 leaf

Last night GOM said I had 18 miles left and I had a 16 mile drive. Arrived home with 2 miles showing. I would say that is fairly accurate for what it is.

And yes I understand there might be some extra hidden miles. GOM starts a bit optomistic but the bottom 1/3rd, when it really counts, seems fairly good IMO.

I concur with that the couple times I have been down to low battery. The miles at the bottom (especially last 15) are pretty accurate. That said, I am also super conservative driver at that point as well.

Back