Is XM difficult to cancel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I evaluated it and cancelled it in both the LEAF and 2009 Altima.
Only thing we miss is Bob Edwards.
Although variety of music available was nice on two hour trip in Altima.
But even in the Altima with Boss stereo their sound quality was mediocre.

They make cancelling a pain.
Like ATT does.
Just keep saying no and do it on phone with rep before the auto renewal.

You can even cancel after the auto-renewal period... I did it once on another car when I forgot and they cancelled it and refunded the amount with no problem. You just have to be firm with them...

TimLee said:
Just keep saying no and do it on phone with rep before the auto renewal.

LeftieBiker said:
Has anyone successfully renegotiated the latest $52 charge for three months, vs the previous 5 months for $30 that you had to threaten to cancel to get?

Well this is what I got this week for 6 more months, but I only have the Select plan, not all the sports channels and such. I remind them that I have options like Pandora/Spotify/Apple which are not limited to just my car.
Sirius.jpg

jpadc said:
LeftieBiker said:
The first subscription is typically better than subsequent ones - the ones where they think they have you by the ears, so to speak...
If its not clear, this is my second renewal after the free trial period.

I thought it was the first. I have basic radio only, but they always try to bill for more. This is my third *year* of subscribing.

It looks like you used a promo. Is there a code, or did you ask if there were any promotions?

LeftieBiker said:
It looks like you used a promo. Is there a code, or did you ask if there were any promotions?
No I just call the day my subscription ends, hence the 19 cent credit (I set a calendar reminder on my phone) and say I'm canceling, they try to talk me into staying - I say I'm not paying a penny more than I did the previous 6 months. They go through like 8 offers, and I say No... finally they "find" a promo that matches what I ask for. It wastes 15 minutes of my time, but it works...

I just renewed my other car today and after pounding on them for about 15 minutes, this is what I got:

Total charge: $40.43
09/20/2015-03/20/2016 Sirius Select 6 Month $24.99
09/20/2015-03/20/2016 Sirius Traffic 6 Month 11.97
09/20/2015-03/20/2016 U.S. Music Royalty Fee 3.47

jpadc said:
No I just call the day my subscription ends, hence the 19 cent credit (I set a calendar reminder on my phone) and say I'm canceling, they try to talk me into staying - I say I'm not paying a penny more than I did the previous 6 months. They go through like 8 offers, and I say No... finally they "find" a promo that matches what I ask for. It wastes 15 minutes of my time, but it works...

Oh, my goodness. To each his own. You couldn't pay me to go through that kind of hassle with such an adversarial, grubbing company.

War-Games.jpg

TomT said:
Nubo said:
Oh, my goodness. To each his own. You couldn't pay me to go through that kind of hassle with such an adversarial, grubbing company.
I actually find it to be kind of fun!

Maybe, if the product had any intrinsic value for me. I'm too old to think that paying for radio is even remotely something I'd care to do.

My hatred for commercials, and my love of some variety in the music I play, makes XM worth some hassle. I previously had a 6 CD player in the trunk of my Civic EX, and that was a PITA as well.

Just a heads-up for those waiting for the end of the month to negotiate with XM: they are now charging a pro-rated fee for the intervening time between the first notice and renewal, and not telling you about it until the last moment. I got the six month special by saying I was canceling, then was hit with an $11 charge for this month on top of it, making it about 6 3/4 months for $42. Much better than $52 every three months, but not anything to rave about...

LeftieBiker said:
Just a heads-up for those waiting for the end of the month to negotiate with XM: they are now charging a pro-rated fee for the intervening time between the first notice and renewal, and not telling you about it until the last moment. I got the six month special by saying I was canceling, then was hit with an $11 charge for this month on top of it, making it about 6 3/4 months for $42. Much better than $52 every three months, but not anything to rave about...
Ouch... as in, they're doing a pro-rated charge for the regular (ripoff) rate?

If that's the case, that means there's the extra inconvenience of actually letting my subscription run out before I call to get a deal.

Just put a reminder on your calendar to cancel the day it runs out. That is what I do.

I do miss the four free years I had though... :D

cwerdna said:
If that's the case, that means there's the extra inconvenience of actually letting my subscription run out before I call to get a deal.

Though I got a subscription transferred to the Leaf from my totaled Volvo, the XM database still sees me as cancelled and keeps sending me subscription offers that I cannot use to "bring me back." Every time I read how sharp Silicon Valley and tech community have become in data mining, I have to laugh.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
Ouch... as in, they're doing a pro-rated charge for the regular (ripoff) rate?

The prorated fee seems to be based on the $52 for 3 month price.

Back