Is XM difficult to cancel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
TomT said:
Nubo said:
Oh, my goodness. To each his own. You couldn't pay me to go through that kind of hassle with such an adversarial, grubbing company.
I actually find it to be kind of fun!

Maybe, if the product had any intrinsic value for me. I'm too old to think that paying for radio is even remotely something I'd care to do.
+1 that said the LEAF is quiet, so if one enjoyed music, a fine stereo would make sense... So too maybe XM. I am bothered every time I have to scroll by it in the sources...

After many years of XM, I soon discovered that if you mark your calendar, so 363 days after you subscribe, you call to cancel the service... i just say "Don't play games, just transfer to the Cancel service Dept! When you finally get to the cancellation guy, tell him you want the $85 buck special. He will go away to speak with his boss (get coffee) and come back and say OK with Autorenew. OK! you get the date when Autorenew occurs, call 2 days before it occurs. I have not paid over $100 a year for XM ever!

I'm in my car so little now on my commute, and don't use the freeway at all. So I absolutely don't need XM traffic any more and can get by for the 15 minutes a day I am in my car with music from the local FM "Oldies" station.

KK6PD said:
After many years of XM, I soon discovered that if you mark your calendar, so 363 days after you subscribe, you call to cancel the service... i just say "Don't play games, just transfer to the Cancel service Dept! When you finally get to the cancellation guy, tell him you want the $85 buck special. He will go away to speak with his boss (get coffee) and come back and say OK with Autorenew. OK! you get the date when Autorenew occurs, call 2 days before it occurs. I have not paid over $100 a year for XM ever!

I have paid $0 for XM ever, and I didn't have to do a thing. :lol:

Interesting thread, I was going to start one myself but decided to do some searching and this one really hit home.

After my trial period ended, like almost everyone else I got a barrage of emails inciting me to subscribe. I was always very leery because of the whole sign up cheap for xx months, oh and after xx months you will automatically be renewed at the regular full price crap! Well after many many months of letters I finally got one I couldn't pass on. It was 4?? months of free service(no CC required) but after the free period I'd get a invoice I could pay if I wanted to continue. They suggested calling the 800 number if I wanted to cancel which would stop the non binding invoices. I figured since they wouldn't have my CC I wouldn't really be on the hook. Well when the free time ran out I got an invoice telling me my service would continue at the regular rate and I'd have to call their 800 number to cancel. I like it how you can pay and do everything else via the web but to cancel they make you call that 800 number........

Well I tried for several days but after being on hold from anywhere from 5-25 minutes I'd hang up. I really wanted to notify someone I was going to cancel so I wouldn't keep getting invoices but again my trump card was they didn't have my CC number. In desperation I tried calling various other departments(none of which could cancel my service) all of which answered their phones in a very timely manner, just the cancellation number that no one seemed to answer :x I can't remember all the details but I finally ended up leaving a voice message(which I was told was NOT an acceptable method to cancel) telling them I wanted to cancel and stop sending me invoices. A few days later my XM radio stopped working so I assume they got the message, I haven't got any invoices since.

Ever since then I still keep getting the offers, the most recent is something like 5 months for $25?? which if it were really true and I didn't have to sign my life away(agreeing to auto-pay and only being able to cancel by calling a number than no one answered) I might go for but I'm not going to agree to auto-pay if it means I have to call a number to cancel, just not worth my time!

It's too bad it has to be such a scam and maybe the times I tried to call them it just happened to be their busiest time in history, therefor the very long wait times, but I doubt it. IMO the whole thing is geared like a scam, like many other things in this world, best to just say NO :(

Truthfully I mostly enjoy the quiet in my Leaf, the XM was mainly for my kids who seem to require constant noise of some sort, although I would have appreciated being able to turn on the radio on occasions and actually hear music I liked as apposed to the constant commercials on regular radio, not so much during off times but during the time I'm mainly in the car(morning and evening drive time) all they seem to be able to do is talk talk talk :x

After reading this thread and other peoples experience with trying to cancel, I think I'm going to hold my ground and the only offer I'd go for is one I won't have to agree to an automatic pay option, something that I doubt I'll ever see again, especially since I went for it once and ended up not renewing.....

I use the paper invoices and send checks. I've never had a lot of trouble getting through to threaten to cancel, but then I avoid peak calling hours. Their trump card, though, is that they can bill you for what they think you owe if you don't cancel or renegotiate, and it does have the force of a legal debt if you haven't negotiated something else. So if you don't want to have to argue with them every 5 months, I wouldn't do it.

Back