Items originally included with a new 2012 Leaf SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subleaf

I'm currently shopping for and intend to purchase a used 2012 Leaf SL. When I make the purchase, I want to be sure I receive all of the "loose" items that originally came with the vehicle. These would be things like keys, fobs, manuals, tire inflation kits, cables, etc. I did a search, but I didn't see anything that would help me in this regard. If someone could post what I should receive, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I have a 2012 Leaf SL that is actually going back next month. My 2 year lease is up. You should have either two or three manuals, don't know for sure since they are in my glove box so can't remember if it's two or three. I know that there is the standard car owners manual and a Carwings manual for sure. You should have a mini air compressor with the goop fix a flat stuff in the compartment inside the back hatch on the left side. Then of course you should have the EVSE or what some people wrongly call the "charging cable" to charge the car. That's pretty much it other than the key fobs. No spare tire or jack as far as I know but have never had a flat. Hope that helps.

My 2012's manuals came in several volumes and were kept in a vinyl elastic case. They are as follows:

• Owners Manual
  • Quick Reference Guide
  • Navigation System Owners Manual
  • Warranty Information Booklet
  • Supplement to 2012 Nissan Warranty Information Booklet and Owners Manual (pertains to Lemon Law redress by state)

These books are available in PDF form through the Nissan website.

As mentioned, things included with the car when new are 2 key fobs, 120 volt EVSE (aka "trickle charger") inside of a black nylon case, lug wrench in a vinyl bag, and a black plastic case containing air compressor with TPMS-destroying fix-a-flat. There is NO jack (but the place to mount one is there) and no spare tire, nor an official spot to mount it, though a few have made or adapted their own mounts or just left the spare loose in the trunk (which I personally don't recommend).

One item the 2012 SL model did come with is a cargo cover; it was an extra cost accessory on the SV trim level. Floor mats, trunk mat, cargo organizer, rear trunk opening scuff plate, driver and passenger door scuff plates, and the gigantic "Zero Emission" flat decal were also extra cost options (the much smaller Zero Emission chrome badges on the doors and hatch are standard) but may have been installed at the port and included in the window sticker.

You may also come across OEM EVSE's that have been modified to accept 240 volt power; it can be done, but has to be done properly. A few folks took shortcuts and simply added a 240 volt plug, and in the process blew up their EVSE's. There is a company called EVSE Upgrade which does the upgrade correctly; if you come across such an EVSE, you may want to contact the owner (he goes by username Ingineer here) to see if this is one of his products. If not, buyer beware.

Make sure the nav system SD card comes with it. They are about $300 if it has gone missing. Often dealers take them out to prevent theft, but a few have ended up getting lost.

Check the tires too, armor-all makes even bald tires look good from a distance.

OP besides worrying about the miscellaneous needs to first know how to check battery capacity, know how to review Nissan maintenance Service Community data to be sure it has capacity warranty and all required annual checks were done, to check that battery history wasn't reset (takes several cycles to read after this and months for capacity bar readout to be correct).

Yes the miscellaneous should be checked too, but there is a lot more than that in smartly buying a used LEAF.

My 2013 SV came with one of those "secure" lugnuts on each wheel, and the corresponding socket was in the glove compartment.

I don't know if this is standard for this car, or particular to my dealer. It wasn't pushed as an extra cost option or listed as a feature on the window sticker.

w6vms said:
My 2013 SV came with one of those "secure" lugnuts on each wheel, and the corresponding socket was in the glove compartment.

I don't know if this is standard for this car, or particular to my dealer. It wasn't pushed as an extra cost option or listed as a feature on the window sticker.

The wheel locks are officially a $55 option and are not normally included with the car.

Then of course you should have the EVSE or what some people wrongly call the "charging cable" to charge the car.

Hey! There is nothing wrong with that particular term, and I wish more people would use it. The incorrect term the poster was grasping for - and failed to find - is "Charger." Pretty easy to remember, especially when so many people make that damned mistake...

Back