J-1772 plug/socket not engaging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmw

I have had a problem with the J-1772 nozzle of my Clipper Creek EVSE not plugin all the way - not clicking in. After emails from a very helpful Clipper Creek service technician, I was able to fix the problem with the nozzle/plug after following his instructions. Had no problem with my Nissan supplied L1/L2 charger. Today at a public charger I was unable to get their nozzles to plugin far enough. These were Clipper Creek chargers and none of the 3 I tried would work. I checked with the owner of craft brewery if anyone else had a problem and was told no. I wonder if there is some problem with the J-1772 socket on my Nissan S+. Why would it work with some nozzles and not others?

Has anyone had a similar problem? And were you able to resolve it?

Back with my previous cars (much shorter range than present car) when I used public EVSE charging units once in a while, I had several times where the J-1772 connector would not plug in completely. In all of those cases I found an O-ring seal or cushion out of position. I was able to properly position the O-ring using a small screwdriver or similar tool in each case so I could charge the car. I also lubricate the connector on the car and the connectors on my home EVSE's with food-grade silicone grease (safe for plastic) periodically. This makes it easier to plug/unplug the connectors.

It interesting to note that Clipper Creek was very responsive in helping me solve the problem with my J-1772 plug. A service person asked me for a photo of the plug end. He sent it back to me with an indication of what was wrong and told me how to fix it. On of the connectors inside the plug was a bit bent. Just straightened it with a drill bit by end. Has worked perfectly ever since. I shouldn't have waited so long to post this.

Back