J plug power splitter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

Ok so here is my idea for the day. Get a box that will accept the J plug to get power from the evse and have two or more J plugs extending out to multiple vehicles. Easy to charge two Leafs from a single 40a supply J plug. Any additional vehicles would need a signal to reduce the max current. This could possibly double or quadruple the number of cars that could charge from a single supply.

Seems like a waste for all these 40a charging stations occupied by 20a vehicles.

Any thoughts?

There are already devices on the net that adapt J1772 to a standard 240v plug. It would be easy to plug two MOD L1s into one.

http://www.tucsonev.com

Yes like that only two or more cords coming out.

J1772BoxLabelWholeThing-web.jpg

Phil made up a J1772 splitter to torture test his 16A EVSE mod at 26A, however the electrical code would prohibit such a device in normal use; the cord is supposed to be continuous, no intermediate connectors, between the EVSE and the connector which plugs into the car. For 2 cars, one could design a smart dual EVSE, which would offer 16A to each if both cars are charging, but a full 32A if only one car is charging.

smkettner said:
Ok so here is my idea for the day. Get a box that will accept the J plug to get power from the evse and have two or more J plugs extending out to multiple vehicles. Easy to charge two Leafs from a single 40a supply J plug. Any additional vehicles would need a signal to reduce the max current. This could possibly double or quadruple the number of cars that could charge from a single supply.

Seems like a waste for all these 40a charging stations occupied by 20a vehicles.

Any thoughts?
Great idea, but essentially you are building 2 new EVSE's. The cost of just the two J1772 handles and the inlet gets you into a very high price point. Right now there isn't really even a business case for building a nice compact portable EVSE like I'd want.

-Phil

pic

smkettner said:
Yes like that only two or more cords coming out.
Actually, you would use exactly that device. Buy a junction box and mount two L6-20 receptacles in it and wire them up to that. You'd be all set to plug in your EVSEs and buddy charge off the one 40a J1772.

How about a cigarette dongle with 33 plugs in series connections that has a L3 connector for fast DC charging to one LEAF?

EVDRIVER said:
How about a cigarette dongle with 33 plugs in series connections that has a L3 connector for fast DC charging to one LEAF?
Good but I don't have a QC port. I just want to tap in when I find all the charging stations occupied :)

Back