July becomes August - the disappointment continues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn

Just got "the dreaded email" from Nissan a minute ago. This after Brendan and Ecotality both gave me a specific July delivery date in the past 48 hours. I've been preparing myself to deal with the loss of the full CA rebate, but this is one more kick in the gut that has me moving grudgingly into the "this will be my last Nissan vehicle" camp.

It's especially irksome when I look at the spreadsheet and see the rash of order dates starting ONE DAY after mine who now have their cars. Nissan, you really screwed this up. Sigh,

Glenn

kmp647 said:
can you post the email here for others to see?
Nothing to post, really. Just a form email saying:
Hi Glenn, the estimated delivery date for your Nissan LEAF™ has been updated. Sign in to "my account" to see when your vehicle is now expected to arrive at your Nissan Dealer.
So I logged on, naively expecting to see an actual date in July, but instead saw "August 2011."

I know there are still many with order dates earlier than mine who are in the same boat, so please don't think I'm saying it's all about me, it's really all about US! Everything's already been said a hundred times here on the Forum, so I'll just leave it at that.

Glenn

Glenn, what is surprising is that you ordered a silver SL-e. Silver was one of the colors Nissan was encouraging some people to switch to. Someone else here switched from blue to white and got moved from July to May.

You ordered two weeks before me. Not pretty.

Glenn said:
I've been preparing myself to deal with the loss of the full CA rebate...
You shouldn't be losing the full CA rebate. They'll put you in the waiting list for the next round of funds which will be available soon and your rebate amount will be under the rules for those funds, so you should still see a $2,500 CA rebate.

See this thread, and particularly the excellent post by Center4Energy.
Tracking the $5k California CVRP Fund

BlueSL said:
Glenn, what is surprising is that you ordered a silver SL-e. Silver was one of the colors Nissan was encouraging some people to switch to. Someone else here switched from blue to white and got moved from July to May.

I didn't know Nissan was encouraging people to switch to silver. It is actually my preferred color, maybe it'll help me out in the long run!

Is there a post or anything documented that shows Nissan encouraging some people to switch to Silver?

Thanks

TNleaf said:
BlueSL said:

I didn't know Nissan was encouraging people to switch to silver. It is actually my preferred color, maybe it'll help me out in the long run!

Is there a post or anything documented that shows Nissan encouraging some people to switch to Silver? Thanks
The blue and red are in short supply when I talked to Nissan CS 2 weeks ago. If you want them to find you an orphaned vehicle, being as flexible as you can on your order will greatly increase the chances of them finding a vehicle for you. Contact Nissan CS, and tell them what matters and what doesn't matter on your order to maximize your cahnce of getting a vehicle sooner.

ElectricVehicle said:
Glenn said:
I've been preparing myself to deal with the loss of the full CA rebate...
You shouldn't be losing the full CA rebate. They'll put you in the waiting list for the next round of funds which will be available soon and your rebate amount will be under the rules for those funds, so you should still see a $2,500 CA rebate.
Mike, I understand my loss will "only" be $2,500, that's why I said "loss of full CA rebate." I'm grateful the FY2012 reduced amount will still (hopefully) be funded. Still doesn't make it any more tolerable to see 23 or more LEAFs at the last BayLeaf meeting and realize it'll be four more months before mine might be one of them.

Glenn said:
but this is one more kick in the gut that has me moving grudgingly into the "this will be my last Nissan vehicle" camp.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once we actually you know...get the cars... and have them for a year we'll forget about this whole mess.

Remember - the problem isn't the car.

The problem is the horrible CS department Nissan hired which will sure have been figured out the next time around.

If it's a crappy car then yes you could go into that camp. Remember - it's all about the car - this will all be forgotten.

I received a similar email today, but the email gave me a delivery update of "month of July 2011", which I already knew. I logged in anyway to find the date had changed to " Month of August 2011"!!! Whatever!

I just changed my order 1-2 weeks ago from blue SL-e to Silver SL-e...

BlueSL said:
Actually, Blue, if I read things correctly, you ordered six weeks before me! Now that's REALLY not pretty! My condolences,

Glenn

Glenn said:
Just got "the dreaded email" from Nissan a minute ago.
I got the same email today as well. My Dashboard changed to August a week and a half ago, though (after being January 0001 for a day). Yeah, yeah, I can't help checking my dashboard every day :)

At least in my case the reason for the delay is that I decided to stay with red as my color choice. Nissan CS said that unless I wanted to change color my order time would be delayed 4-5 weeks.
Glenn said:
It's especially irksome when I look at the spreadsheet and see the rash of order dates starting ONE DAY after mine who now have their cars. Nissan, you really screwed this up.
Same here. :(

TNleaf said:
Is there a post or anything documented that shows Nissan encouraging some people to switch to Silver?
I had a message on my answering machine from Nissan CS about two weeks ago. When I called back, the original rep that called me wasn't available; the rep I talked to said that red and blue orders would be delayed up to 60 days and that I could change colors to avoid the additional delay. He admitted, though, that he didn't have all the details and suggested that I call back and talk to the rep that originally called.

I called back the next day and talked to the rep that originally left me the message. She said that the delay to stay with red would be 4-5 weeks (she seemed confident of that delay) and specifically offered a color change to black to avoid the delay. At 4-5 weeks I decided that I'd stay with red, so I didn't ask whether changing to silver or white would avoid the delay as well.

Glenn said:
BlueSL said:
Actually, Blue, if I read things correctly, you ordered six weeks before me! Now that's REALLY not pretty! My condolences,

Glenn

My eyes are weakening. I see you are January '11, not November '10, as I had thought. Oops. This explains why I did not get "the email." My order is holding steady at July today, as it has for the past month or so.

Gotta love the spreadsheet. If Nissan stops delivering blue and red cars, it will show up there plainly. We are approx. 70 days past the earthquake, so one would think the impacts might begin to show up in the next few weeks.

Glenn said:
So I logged on, naively expecting to see an actual date in July, but instead saw "August 2011."

...ouch. This strikes me as particularly odd, since I'm in the second round of reservations (i.e., was allowed to reserve and order only this month in May), and I currently have a delivery date of August 2011. Though I seem to be one of the rare ones who ordered my LEAF in black, which may have benefited me here.

Packet said:
...ouch. This strikes me as particularly odd, since I'm in the second round of reservations (i.e., was allowed to reserve and order only this month in May), and I currently have a delivery date of August 2011...
Please don't take this personally, Packet, but it's orders like yours that have many of us on MNL especially frustrated and disappointed. The "lucky ducks" from February and March who are already driving LEAF's is bad enough. But when we see folks who are just now reserving and ordering getting delivery dates essentially the same as ones for those of us who've been here since April, May, or June of LAST YEAR, well...

I wish I could go to that Zen place some have found, but it seems to be taking me a bit longer. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat,

Glenn

Pretty soon somebody, who never even ordered the car, will be able to walk into a Nissan dealership on a whim and purchase the car on the spot.
No waiting required. :D

-Reddy

Reddy said:
Pretty soon somebody, who never even ordered the car, will be able to walk into a Nissan dealership on a whim and purchase the car on the spot.
No waiting required. :D
I'm sure that's very true.

And at the same time, some of us will be still waiting for our orders :evil:

cdub said:
Glenn said:
but this is one more kick in the gut that has me moving grudgingly into the "this will be my last Nissan vehicle" camp.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once we actually you know...get the cars... and have them for a year we'll forget about this whole mess.

Remember - the problem isn't the car.

The problem is the horrible CS department Nissan hired which will sure have been figured out the next time around.

If it's a crappy car then yes you could go into that camp. Remember - it's all about the car - this will all be forgotten.

Perhaps - I'll personally remember this entire process as a representation of Nissan's culture and priorities, and that will impact future decisions. Product is important, but service is as well.

I have a wonderful Optoma projector, it works great and I love it ... and I will *NEVER* under *ANY* circumstances own another optoma product due to their service. That incident was over a year ago. So there you go, anecdotal evidence proves anything :p

Glenn said:
Please don't take this personally, Packet, but it's orders like yours that have many of us on MNL especially frustrated and disappointed. The "lucky ducks" from February and March who are already driving LEAF's is bad enough. But when we see folks who are just now reserving and ordering getting delivery dates essentially the same as ones for those of us who've been here since April, May, or June of LAST YEAR, well...
Oh, believe me, I'm not taking it personally. I am, however, surprised. I'd assumed the May RAQ/order -> August delivery was simply because they'd finally worked the kinks out of the system; the last of the legacy folks (minus those affected by the red/blue paint issues due to the tsunami) would have their cars in May/June, maybe July, and then the new orders would start coming in August and September. That seemed reasonable and rational, and in line with what I was hearing rumored.

So seeing a legacy order that's been pushed to August 2011 confuses and (truthfully) annoys me. I mean, I'm excited to see an order time that soon for me, sure. But I'd actually rather not line-jump if I had the option! I know that as frustrating as it was for me to just miss the reservation cutoff last year because of my decision to wait for a test drive, people who /didn't/ miss the cutoff and have been waiting for their car since last year have to be on the verge of smoke coming out of their ears due to order dates like mine.

(Of course, if the fulfillment system is still evidently being managed by the Three Stooges, what are the chances that my 'August 2011' date is anywhere near a realistic date? So, look on the bright side: you may still get your car well before me! :lol:)

Back