Just walked out of a CO dealer-what a disgrace

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENEV

I just walked out of a Denver, Colorado Nissan dealer after receiving, what I call, one of the worst experiences of my life. The dealer should be ashamed of themselves and the way they conduct business with consumers.

Each employee had no clue about leasing the LEAF or the federal or state tax rebate. The only thing my internet salesman initially knew was how to operate the ins and outs of the LEAF. That is it. Nothing else.

Now here's the kicker: I walked out of the dealer after waiting three months for my LEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dealer didn't deserve my hard earned money. Bar none.

Yeah, that's a disgrace. My dealer has a couple of rep who specialize in delivery of the Leaf. One of the reps met with me almost a month before I got the car to arrange a test drive, when I mentioned that I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. She went through all the features then, and passed me a stack of paperwork and forms. The only thing she did not cover is how to contact the utility company to arrange for a less expensive electric car rate scheme.

Did you orphan an order?

I would not expect tax information from a car dealer. Although they should have had no trouble setting up a lease. There are plenty of lease threads to be informed on how to calculate every penny and make sure you are getting a straight deal.

Otherwise what did you really expect?

smkettner said:
I would not expect tax information from a car dealer.
The rep at the dealer I purchased from did have the federal tax forms printed out for me to read, and the web page for the state rebate printed as well. They even have the DMV application form for carpool stickers printed out. I know the tendency in the United States is to say "talk to your account about your tax situation" but not being able to provide basic information is rather pathetic.

1. The dealer couldn't explain on a simple lease why the cap cost reduction numbers are different from mine.

Cap cost reduction(actual): $2599 (down payment)
$7500 (federal rebate)
$XXXX (State rebate) Dealer refused to include the State of CO Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit in the cap cost. Said I had to file with my taxes instead.

total: $10,099.00

Dealer Nissan Signature Lease paperwork
Cap Cost reduction: $9714.00

Now, they couldn't explain for the life of them why there was a difference.

2. The dealer couldn't prove that the monthly lease rate was based on the subtotal sales(after rebate) or the MSRP. Isn't the dealer supposed to use the after tax rebate to determine the monthly lease rate?

3. Never offered me a glass of water.

4. The sales staff and financial director kept walking away from me and going in the back office area for 10-15 minutes at at a time.

5. The financial director claims Nissan NA was doing me a favor by giving me, the customer, the federal tax rebate. I clearly let him know that it's a law, not a privilege. Is he nuts?

6. One of the internet salesmen brought over a completed Nissan Signature Lease form in its entirety for me to read and then walked away for 15 minutes, rather than sitting down and explaining it to me. when I finally approached him with questions about the lease agreement, he told me he would get someone else who is an "expert" on leases. He calls over my original salesman who doesn't know anything about anything. This guy just talks in complete circles. It's such a joke. He's an amateur in my book. I was so fed up at this point i didn't know what to do. Next thing I know the goof brings out a RETAIL LEASE FORM. I said what is this? He said it was a purchase form. The form was a retail lease form!!!! It was a custom dealer lease form. Why would they want me to sign a retail lease form and a Nissan branded retail lease form? I've never ever signed two lease form in the past.

Does $439/month for 48 months with $2599.00 down sound reasonable for a 2012 SL?

GREENEV said:
Does $439/month for 48 months with $2599.00 down sound reasonable for a 2012 SL?

Hard to say as I and everyone I've talked to got either a 36 or 39 month lease. Given that the bumper to bumper warranty is 36 months are you forgoing part of the benefit of leasing by going 48 months? For comparison I paid a little over $1300 down and 35 payments of $454.33 plus $27.26 tax (in Florida you pay tax as you go) for a 36 month lease on a 2012 SV with floor mats.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GREENEV said:

Hard to say as I and everyone I've talked to got either a 36 or 39 month lease. Given that the bumper to bumper warranty is 36 months are you forgoing part of the benefit of leasing by going 48 months? For comparison I paid a little over $1300 down and 35 payments of $454.33 plus $27.26 tax (in Florida you pay tax as you go) for a 36 month lease on a 2012 SV with floor mats.
I have good credit and told the finance guy that I wanted to pay $299/mo. That worked out to $5330 down for a 36 month lease. Your mileage may vary, of course :)

Sounds to me like the dealer wants the car to sell at a mark-up, or fleece someone that wants a car badly.

Sad, truly sad.

Hopefully you can get one elsewhere. I would also try contacting Corporate.

There are a lot of lease threads on the board. There are even spreadsheets that allow you to plug in your numbers and see what you get. They were instrumental in dealing with my lease fiasco.

GREENEV said:
5. The financial director claims Nissan NA was doing me a favor by giving me, the customer, the federal tax rebate. I clearly let him know that it's a law, not a privilege. Is he nuts?
Sorry, but you are wrong on that one. The law says the owner of the car can apply for the tax credit. (And it is a credit, not a rebate.) If you lease the car, Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation is the owner, not you, and they get the tax credit. Nissan NA worked a deal with NMAC so that the lease agreement is written as if you paid $9500 (or more) down, but they give you credit for $7500 of that.

And if you buy, rather than lease, you are responsible for the full cost of the car, without allowing for the tax credit. You have to come up with all the money up front, as cash and/or a loan. The $7500 applies to your federal income tax for the year in which you get the car. If you buy right now you are probably going to have to wait a full year to get the $7500 back, and you may not get all of it, or even get it at all, depending on your tax situation. (There are lots of complicating conditions, depending on when your personal fiscal year ends, how much you pay in income tax, whether you can adjust payroll deductions, what other tax credits you might have, year-end adjustments in capital gains, etc.) But whatever money you get is not going to come from Nissan or be credited to you by Nissan.

So the law doesn't say anything about Nissan giving you $7500, whether as a credit or rebate, whether you buy or you lease. Yes, Nissan NA is definitely doing you a favor by getting that $7500 credited to you up front when you lease.

Ray

smkettner said:
Did you orphan an order?

Update: I decided to go back and lease the car last evening. The showroom was deserted. The way I like it. I dealt with a different salesman who completed the deal. The original clueless salesman still got the credit for selling the car. I couldn't do anything about that.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that the dealer was holding MY car I ordered and waited three months for. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

FACT: I never have to go back to that dealer as long as I live. I will write a formal letter to Nissan Corporate. Firing off a letter to corporate will really put the screws to 'em. I will also post multiple comments on Edmunds.com and Google.com regarding the treatment I received at the dealer. Car dealers can't take the heat from corporate.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GREENEV said:

I opted for a 48 month lease to reduce my monthly payments, but mostly because I'm wrapping the car from head to toe with graphics. It makes more sense to keep the car longer with expensive graphics.

GREENEV said:
smkettner said:
Did you orphan an order?

Update: I decided to go back and lease the car last evening. The showroom was deserted. The way I like it. I dealt with a different salesman who completed the deal. The original clueless salesman still got the credit for selling the car. I couldn't do anything about that.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that the dealer was holding MY car I ordered and waited three months for. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

FACT: I never have to go back to that dealer as long as I live. I will write a formal letter to Nissan Corporate. Firing off a letter to corporate will really put the screws to 'em. I will also post multiple comments on Edmunds.com and Google.com regarding the treatment I received at the dealer. Car dealers can't take the heat from corporate.

I dont know what is going on here, but the story lacks the ring of authenticity. YMMV.

good question, AmpUp; what dealer was that?

I opted for a 48 month lease to reduce my monthly payments, but mostly because I'm wrapping the car from head to toe with graphics. It makes more sense to keep the car longer with expensive graphics.

What?

Train said:

What?

+1 -- assume you mean that you plan to use it as a moving billboard for your business or advertising, I had thought graphics would be difficult to remove after the fact so as not to be penalized after a lease return (for modifying the car, just like putting in leather seats, etc.) but have only seen folks wanting to know where they can get their cars wrapped, not getting it removed. With the LEAF paint being so thin, my concern would be for it to get pulled off or otherwise damaged during the removal process.

I hope all the "green" dealers aren't going to give the Leaf a bad name. I'm anticipating a fight with my dealer about added (not ordered by me) equipment. I certainly didn't order wheel locks and nitrogen filled tires he reference in an email about lease details! I can almost see trying to sell added stuff on normal stock (ie when they need to match customer wants with stock) but on a customer ordered car! No! If I wanted wheel locks I'd have ordered them!

smkettner said:
I wonder what a clear wrap would cost. The protection package seems like a lot for what it covers.
When I was having my windows tinted, I asked and was told that it'd be in the $500 range. The thing is that it does not have a long enough warranty (only 2 years against turning yellow), so it doesn't make sense to put it on.

GREENEV said:
1. The dealer couldn't explain on a simple lease why the cap cost reduction numbers are different from mine.

Cap cost reduction(actual): $2599 (down payment)
$7500 (federal rebate)
$XXXX (State rebate) Dealer refused to include the State of CO Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit in the cap cost. Said I had to file with my taxes instead.

total: $10,099.00

Dealer Nissan Signature Lease paperwork
Cap Cost reduction: $9714.00

Now, they couldn't explain for the life of them why there was a difference.

The difference in the numbers is because when you lease, the sales tax is added to the monthly payments, not to the total value. The reason for this, is that at the end of the lease, you had paid for the depreciated portion of the vehicle and the tax on that part. The residual has not been taxed, therefore, if you decide to keep the car, you are responsible for the taxes on the residual.

What that means, is that when you put money down on a lease, you need to pay the sales tax on the portion of the car that you are buying that day with your down payment and the federal tax credit (because that is considered income under the law).

During the following 47 months, you will pay the sales tax by bits with every monthly installment.

Even if you were to buy, the $7,500 credit is considered income; so, if you get your credit back in 2013 by filing your 2012 taxes, you need to declare it as income for 2013 when you file your taxes in early 2014. It is just the law.

If you want to reduce your monthly payment a bit, see if you can borrow the state credit from your own savings and use it with the down payment; that way you are not paying to borrow that money from the bank and still get it back with your next tax return.

At last, the monthly payment sounds just a bit high for 48 months. Look at the dealer fees, and title and registration. Is the road tax or ad-valorem tax included, or you still need to pay that when you pick up your plates?

I don't think it is worth walking away just yet.

Back