LADWP Pulls Plug on EV Charging Downtown

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Yeah. that would work for me too.

JeremyW said:
I think I could make the next one, in three weeks?
I'm in for the second Tuesday also. Let's plan to coordinate on this.

I may attend the session tomorrow, only to learn the particulars and idiosyncrasies of how they're conducted, but if I do I won't participate, only observe. I think it would be better to present a united front the first time we appear.

Attended the DWP Board meeting today (April 2) for about an hour to observe protocol and consider our strategy for addressing them about the parking/charging access issues.

First, EV parking/charging spaces were available for me; there were about four free when I entered the lot around 1pm (Tuesday). This is no doubt due to the new four-hour parking limit. I was handed an EV parking placard for the dash by the security guard at the Gate 6 kiosk as I entered; the rules and regulations are printed on its back for ready reference. I have pics of the placard and other materials related to the Board meeting, but am not a paid forum member so cannot post them here. Will try to post them on a shared cloud folder later.

The Board meeting room on the 15th floor is a very comfortable space with plenty of theater-type seating for the public. As you enter there is a sign instructing you to take a comment card from a stack and fill it out if you want to address the Board. A uniformed security guard takes the completed cards and submits them to the Board. I took a few blank cards for anyone on this forum who would like one in advance (pic available too).

The meeting itself was fairly interesting and well-paced, and the only member of the public who submitted a card was accommodated fairly early on. When he was finished presenting, which took less than five minutes, the Board adjourned for a private session before returning to resume the public session later. I left when they were in private session.

If anyone would like to see the placard front and back photos, or comment card, PM me. Or, if you are a gold member, I can email them so you can post them in this thread.

Just to be clear, is this meeting on the 16th or the 23rd? If its the 16th I have work till 5:30 and I'm not sure how fast I can make it over there with the traffic.

JeremyW said:
Just to be clear, is this meeting on the 16th or the 23rd? If its the 16th I have work till 5:30 and I'm not sure how fast I can make it over there with the traffic.
It will be Tuesday, April 16th at 1:30pm. Doesn't sound like you'll be able to make it.

Details on the Board meetings here: http://www.ladwp.com/board" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't think anyone else could make it today, so I was planning to delay it until the first Tuesday of next month, hoping for others to be able to attend too.

I have extra blank speaker cards I can mail in advance to anyone interested. Just PM me.

Tim

I attended the April 16 DWP Board meeting this afternoon, and the timing was favorable. By chance, one item on the agenda was a presentation, called "Overview of LADWP's Electric Vehicle Charger Program."

It was presented by Marvin Moon, Director of Engineering, who I've exchanged emails with in the past few months about DWP's plans to install 16 DC fast chargers soon (he told me he's going to be buying a Leaf himself shortly, knowing the DCFC infrastructure would be there to support it). So, I had the chance to meet him in person and hear the latest news regarding DWP's relevant programs. One point that was raised is that DWP's home charger rebate program (up to $2,000 rebated) ends June 30. So if you know anyone who is eligible to benefit (must live in DWP service area) urge them to get moving. The program is likely to be revived, according to Marv, but under what terms or rebate limits is unknown. There was a handout of the presentation; I would guess it will appear in the EV pages of the DWP web site, which also has been updated and expanded recently according to Marv.

His presentation led smoothly into my brief address to the Board. Basically, I riffed on the following prepared remarks and they were received with interest and consideration.

DWP BOARD MTG ADDRESS - Tuesday April 16

First of all, as an electric vehicle driver and emerging environmentalist, I want to commend DWP for its record of serious commitment to promoting the adoption of EVs, such as Charge Up LA, residential EV rate discounts, and the expedited permit-to-plug program for the installation of home charging stations.

In addition to those programs there is, 15 floors below us in the parking facility, a remarkable initiative consisting of a dozen EV charging stations that are open to the public, which encourage and support electric vehicle adoption.

Until recently these charging stations were accessible to the public EV community seven days a week until midnight. The security officers who admitted electric vehicles to the parking facility through gate 6 advised EV drivers only that we were not permitted to park overnight.

Around the first of April this policy was changed. Access hours and days were restricted. Public EV charging was no longer permitted on weekends. Entrance was granted only until 5pm on weekdays. Essentially, business hours became the access policy. [mentioned here that I agreed with and supported fully the new four-hour parking limit provision]

These restrictions do not seem consistent to me with DWP's otherwise admirable record of supporting and promoting electric vehicle adoption. The DWP knows that the demand for electric power by residential and commercial customers is not restricted to business hours. So, why should access to electric charging stations be limited to business hours?

I am here today to ask DWP to rethink and reconsider its policy with regard to the access restrictions recently imposed on the EV resource just 15 floors below us.

A charging station is a terrible thing to waste.

The General Manager was sympathetic to my argument, saying he was aware of the issue and regretted that it was not, unfortunately, as cut and dried a decision as it might seem. He did not blame "abuse" of the charging stations or parking privilege for the policy change, but did invoke security as a consideration, and then mentioned the Boston Marathon incident yesterday as being relevant to the discussion. He seemed to indicate that he was in favor of restoring more access if the other considerations could be addressed. Another Board member asked him if the Board could look forward to some progress on the issue in the next month or so and the GM was clear in saying yes, he expected some decision to be made in that time frame and that he would be reporting on it to them.

My feeling is that the chances are favorable of regaining some lost access; perhaps not all that we had, but some. Watch this space.

By the way, the Board meeting proceedings will be broadcast on channel 35, per the GM, if anyone wants to see and judge for themselves how things went. He said to contact the station for the broadcast schedule, if interested.

All in all, a very interesting and worthwhile experience, regardless of the outcome.

i am not sure why anyone would think that someone would drive a 30k car into the dwp lot to blow up part of the building when there are dozens and dozens of other city buildings, state buildings and public buildings available for targeting.
that issue is a total red herring.

Thanks for attending TH; it sounds like you gave an excellent and well-reasoned presentation! It appears as if there may still be some hope...

Security as a limiting issue is obviously kind of silly since, if I WAS going to blow it up, I'd do it during the weekday when people and vehicles are there! And that is exactly the time that we *ARE* currently allowed to park and charge there!

timhebb said:
I attended the April 16 DWP Board meeting this afternoon, and the timing was favorable. By chance, one item on the agenda was a presentation, called "Overview of LADWP's Electric Vehicle Charger Program."

my point is that people have access to scores of parking lots and buildings in downtown, many of them in or near buildings with govt employees or major financial firms, etc.
why does the DWP think they need special protection?
are the Owens Valley rangers coming down here to get revenge?

the terror excuse is just that, an excuse.
is there any history of terror or other attacks on the vast network of DWP facilities and offices around the area?

thankyouOB said:
the terror excuse is just that, an excuse.
is there any history of terror or other attacks on the vast network of DWP facilities and offices around the area?
The argument you are referring to was made at the April 16 Board meeting I attended by Ron Nichols, General Manager of DWP. His email address is in the very first post of this thread.

I presented my case in person to DWP's Board at that meeting. I strongly suggest that all other contributors/readers of this thread who share the view that access to DWP's charging facilities should be broadened, contact Ron Nichols directly to express your opinion.

As always, civil and respectful expression is likely to carry more weight than mere ranting, although I see no harm in pointing out the logical inconsistencies inherent in the "security" issue. For example, as TomT noted, if the charging stations are in a particularly vulnerable location - directly underneath the main DWP facility - then wouldn't the building present an even more attractive target during the daytime (when charging is allowed) and the building is fully occupied by employees and visitors - than during nights and weekends, when the building is relatively empty (but charging isn't permitted)??

Nichols' argument certainly seems specious. There is the possible danger, though, of too thoroughly analyzing the issue for management, to the point that they will simply decide to make the resource off limits, all the time, to the public.

That's a risk I think we need to take, though. I plan to continue attending Board meetings, as appropriate, until the issue is worked through and resolved one way or another. Your moderate, reasoned and persuasive emails CAN be instrumental in moving things our way. Please write!

Was there ever any further movement on this, perhaps under the new GM?

timhebb said:
That's a risk I think we need to take, though. I plan to continue attending Board meetings, as appropriate, until the issue is worked through and resolved one way or another. Your moderate, reasoned and persuasive emails CAN be instrumental in moving things our way. Please write!

TomT said:
Was there ever any further movement on this, perhaps under the new GM?

timhebb said:
No movement at all. I pulled up at the gate a week ago Monday to get a QC and was turned away: I'd forgotten it was Columbus Day, and DWP doesn't accommodate EV drivers on holidays. Stupid policy!

Why don't you write a letter or send an email to the new GM yourself, Tom? It just might help...

I know this thread is dead for years now, new gm is in and another issue is QC when down it takes them more than 3 months to fix specialy in the san fernando valley area. We would email them hundreds of times but still no improvement, is there anyone outside of ladwp to contact for them to move and fix things?

Back