LADWP - Second meter installation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sranga

Hi

I was wondering if anybody had a second meter installed from LADWP.

* Since I am part of the EV project, would I be able to use the same contractor to install the second meter?
* What is the general cost (range) of installing a second meter?
* Any contractors that you would recommend to do this work?

Appreciate your help.

- Ranga

I ran the numbers and the ROI for a second meter was just not there for me under LADWPs current rate scheme. You could have the contractor install a second meter for you but it would have to be out of your own pocket since, in L.A. at least, the EV Project will not pay for it (I asked them).

sranga said:
Hi

I was wondering if anybody had a second meter installed from LADWP.

* Since I am part of the EV project, would I be able to use the same contractor to install the second meter?
* What is the general cost (range) of installing a second meter?
* Any contractors that you would recommend to do this work?

Appreciate your help.

- Ranga

A second meter wasn't an option for me in my condo's parking garage. They don't seem to be able to add meters to such a setup. If I had my own home/garage, I'm not sure I would do it. The electricians would be paid to install the box that houses the meter, then LADWP comes out and puts a meter in that box. I think. When my electrician updated my quote to reflect the 2nd meter wasn't an option, the price dropped $400. Not sure how much LADWP's part of the installation would cost. I do know that updating my EXISTING meter to a TOU is free installation wise, and costs $8/month to keep.

I ran the numbers and the ROI for a second meter was just not there for me under LADWPs current rate scheme. You could have the contractor install a second meter for you but it would have to be out of your own pocket since, in L.A. at least, the EV Project will not pay for it (I asked them).

Same here for me. Did not pencil out since I would have to pay for install. Will get whole house TOU meter.

jcodeglia said:
A second meter wasn't an option for me in my condo's parking garage. They don't seem to be able to add meters to such a setup. If I had my own home/garage, I'm not sure I would do it. The electricians would be paid to install the box that houses the meter, then LADWP comes out and puts a meter in that box. I think. When my electrician updated my quote to reflect the 2nd meter wasn't an option, the price dropped $400. Not sure how much LADWP's part of the installation would cost. I do know that updating my EXISTING meter to a TOU is free installation wise, and costs $8/month to keep.

You might want to check the LADWP site for FAQs on EV charger/installation. I know I saw one that said LADWP would install through the EV program at apartments and condos with the owners permission.

Meanwhile, I am pondering the plus and minuses of a second meter. I contacted the company that did the install of my charger and the manager I spoke with advised me not to get the second (TOU) meter. I don't know why, but now that I know a bit more about how this all works I will call him back and see if I can get an answer. In the meantime I look forward to that first bill from DWP :lol:

I notice I use the charger not on a daily basis, so that could be a reason, along with the $8 montly fee, to avoid a second meter.

Any comments appreciated.

waynor said:
Meanwhile, I am pondering the plus and minuses of a second meter. I contacted the company that did the install of my charger and the manager I spoke with advised me not to get the second (TOU) meter. I don't know why, but now that I know a bit more about how this all works I will call him back and see if I can get an answer. In the meantime I look forward to that first bill from DWP :lol:

I notice I use the charger not on a daily basis, so that could be a reason, along with the $8 montly fee, to avoid a second meter.

Any comments appreciated.
The reason to get a 2nd meter is to qualify for the LADWP rebate and/or if it is required by Ecotality. You will still get the EV discount rate with a whole house TOU meter.

You don't want a 2nd meter if you have solar and are producing more electricity than you use for your house.

My electrician's assessment happened today (from OnTarget Electric) in the LA area. LADWP had previously done a drawing to include a TOU meter for the EV ONLY, which required a separate feed from the masthead to the electrical panels. The tech today told me that was no longer necessary; they could just take a feed from the main panel (40a breakers) to the TOU and then to the EVSE. My first thought was ... that means the power will be going through two meters, and I'll get charged twice.

I called LADWP's EV unit, and they told me they have (just a week ago) rolled out a TOU meter for "statistics only" and I wouldn't be billed for it. In addition, there would be no $8/mo fee to read the second meter.

The downside is that there would be NO discount for power registered on the TOU meter. But the good news is that the $2,000 LADWP rebate would still be honored (the $1200 Ecotality rebate is factored into the $2k, you don't get both!)

So, there are now several options:

1) Whole house on a TOU meter.
2) Whole house on a regular meter, including the EV.
3) TOU meter fed separately from the mains.
4) TOU meter fed from the primary panel, for statistics, NOT for billing.

I don't know if things have changed at LADWP, but I understand that you can not receive their $2000 credit if you do not have the second meter installed.

I qualified for Ecotality's free Blink charger, but to upgrade my home's power it ended up costing $2441 so I paid the extra $441.

If I had the time, I probably could have tracked down a contractor, purchased an EVSE, arranged for the second meter and had it all installed for under $2000 and got it for free, or had I been a more hard nosed bargainer I probably could have got Ecotality to knock the price down a bit more (something I would've had time for).

Anyway, you probably aren't going to save a whole lot more than $8 a month, so the 2nd meter is kind of a wash, but the $2000 credit makes it worth it.

Also - it could take up to 3 weeks by the time LADWP and LA Buildings and Safety sign off on the instal and actually turn the juice on.

rpmdk said:
I don't know if things have changed at LADWP, but I understand that you can not receive their $2000 credit if you do not have the second meter installed.

I qualified for Ecotality's free Blink charger, but to upgrade my home's power it ended up costing $2441 so I paid the extra $441.

If I had the time, I probably could have tracked down a contractor, purchased an EVSE, arranged for the second meter and had it all installed for under $2000 and got it for free, or had I been a more hard nosed bargainer I probably could have got Ecotality to knock the price down a bit more (something I would've had time for).

Anyway, you probably aren't going to save a whole lot more than $8 a month, so the 2nd meter is kind of a wash, but the $2000 credit makes it worth it.

Also - it could take up to 3 weeks by the time LADWP and LA Buildings and Safety sign off on the instal and actually turn the juice on.
take the 30% federal rebate and your costs are down to $300 or so.

hopefully - the EVSE rebate is not applied to the AMT - so we'll see next spring if that works out

Read back a few messages. Things have changed with the LADWP once again as of today!

rpmdk said:

rpmdk said:
hopefully - the EVSE rebate is not applied to the AMT - so we'll see next spring if that works out

if you are into the AMT, you are making enough bucks to forgo a few hundred dollars in savings.

From the LADWP, here's a link to their current (7/25) options for metering EV charging:

http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp013832.pdf

Thanks for the pdf but it has been the same since at least May. The question is your statement "The downside is that there would be NO discount for power registered on the TOU meter."

The LADWP program as I understand it:
1) Whole house on a TOU meter. 2.5 cents/kWh discount on a block of energy up to 500 kWh for night and weekend use.
2) Whole house on a regular meter, including the EV. No discount.
3) TOU meter fed separately from the mains. Discount of 2.5 cents/kWh for night and weekend charging.
4) TOU meter fed from the primary panel, for statistics, NOT for billing. New possibility. What are the conditions?

According to what Walter at LADWP told me on 7/27, if you choose to do the TOU meter that is fed from your primary panel, and NOT an independent feed from your mains, AHEAD of your primary meter, it would be used for statistics only (although they have no plans to collect any data as of now) and there would be no EV discount. You would, however still qualify for the $2k installation rebate.

He tells me the only way to get the EV discount would be to have a TOU meter fed separately from the mains, or to have a whole-house TOU meter.

I talked to Walter this morning and apparently those of us who had our install done prior to the new LADWP EV program taking effect are now exempt from having to add a second meter of any kind if we do not want to, regardless of what Ecotality might say or claim.

LittleChap said:
According to what Walter at LADWP told me on 7/27, if you choose to do the TOU meter that is fed from your primary panel, and NOT an independent feed from your mains, AHEAD of your primary meter, it would be used for statistics only (although they have no plans to collect any data as of now) and there would be no EV discount. You would, however still qualify for the $2k installation rebate.
He tells me the only way to get the EV discount would be to have a TOU meter fed separately from the mains, or to have a whole-house TOU meter.

Back