LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GetOffYourGas said:
Reddy said:
OK, just another dealer rumor, but..... He said that the 250 mi Leaf will not be available until Dec 2017 as a 2018 model. :cry: He also said that in testing it had traveled more than 300 mi on a circular track (I'm guessing indoor test track).

I'm glad to hear he thinks the 2018 Leaf will have 250 miles of range. Assuming that's actual EPA range, it will be a strong competitor. It's better than the rumor that the 200+ mile Leaf won't arrive until 2020 or later.

I really can't believe we haven't learned anything in 6 years... a 40kWh LEAF isn't going to go more than about 160 EPA miles. It will also go 300 miles at 15 mph on a track.... or 200-250 miles with the Japan and Euro ratings.

In the real world I would expect to safely get 200-250km from a 40kWh battery in good weather.

Which would be perfect for me, the 100km I get from my 2015 can be problematic with multiple stops and errands.

This source is saying an April reveal...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/510181/nissan-australia-planning-for-next-gen-leaf/

I'm still betting on CES next week. Maybe? :D

DaveinOlyWA said:
Its starting to look like the next LEAF will be a bargain option with a 40 kwh pack. So not really in direct competition with either the Bolt or the T3

I would agree. Honestly our 30 KW leaf will suit all our needs for years to come but a 40 KW would be a nice step up. Beyond that I wouldn't even consider spending a 1000 bucks for an additional 20 KW. Why would I. Total waste of money. For those who need more range it will be nice to have more options but in my opinion there will be a market for a cheaper shorter range EV about the size of a leaf. We have a 17.5 KW Smart ED that we rack up about 8000 KM a year on and we have never been below 20 percent on the battery. I figure it is good for about 140 KM in the conditions we drive it although the most actual KM we put on one charge was about 118 KM with about 20 percent left on the meter.

I guess the other thing is are the present choices. I suspect the Chevy Bolt will cost considerably more than the Leaf, if and when it is ever available in our province. So even at double the range and if it was the same price, it is still a Chevy. We have had three, all junk in every regard and unsupportable outside of the warranty unless you want to drop 500 to 1000 dollars EVERY FREAKIN YEAR. A lot of people are writing off the leaf but the reality is in many places it is still the only game in town. We were still in the looking phase in October so we stopped by our local volkswagen dealer. We showed up in our smart ED which they promptly ridiculed. We smiled and asked about the Egolf as we wanted to replace our last fuel burner and they made it quite clear that they do not now and will never sell any electric vehicle as they were simply a political gimmick. They also cautioned us on buying any electric vehicle as we would be replacing batteries every second year and they would never do that to their customers. Needless to say VW was off the list.

I guess my point is I don't think it will be just about who has the biggest battery. Many are smart enough to know that adding capacity when they don't need it is old school thinking.

JMHO

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Its starting to look like the next LEAF will be a bargain option with a 40 kwh pack. So not really in direct competition with either the Bolt or the T3

I would agree. Honestly our 30 KW leaf will suit all our needs for years to come but a 40 KW would be a nice step up. Beyond that I wouldn't even consider spending a 1000 bucks for an additional 20 KW. Why would I. Total waste of money. For those who need more range it will be nice to have more options but in my opinion there will be a market for a cheaper shorter range EV about the size of a leaf. We have a 17.5 KW Smart ED that we rack up about 8000 KM a year on and we have never been below 20 percent on the battery. I figure it is good for about 140 KM in the conditions we drive it although the most actual KM we put on one charge was about 118 KM with about 20 percent left on the meter.

I guess the other thing is are the present choices. I suspect the Chevy Bolt will cost considerably more than the Leaf, if and when it is ever available in our province. So even at double the range and if it was the same price, it is still a Chevy. We have had three, all junk in every regard and unsupportable outside of the warranty unless you want to drop 500 to 1000 dollars EVERY FREAKIN YEAR. A lot of people are writing off the leaf but the reality is in many places it is still the only game in town. We were still in the looking phase in October so we stopped by our local volkswagen dealer. We showed up in our smart ED which they promptly ridiculed. We smiled and asked about the Egolf as we wanted to replace our last fuel burner and they made it quite clear that they do not now and will never sell any electric vehicle as they were simply a political gimmick. They also cautioned us on buying any electric vehicle as we would be replacing batteries every second year and they would never do that to their customers. Needless to say VW was off the list.

I guess my point is I don't think it will be just about who has the biggest battery. Many are smart enough to know that adding capacity when they don't need it is old school thinking.

JMHO

well I would gladly pay an extra $1000 for 20 kwh!... but unfortunately its looking closer to $15,000+ :shock:

webeleafowners said:
I would agree. Honestly our 30 KW leaf will suit all our needs for years to come but a 40 KW would be a nice step up. Beyond that I wouldn't even consider spending a 1000 bucks for an additional 20 KW.
Actually the Leaf is 80 KW (the motor). You have a 30 KWH Leaf, a 40 KWH Leaf would be nice. Big difference between power (KW) and energy (KWH).

Stoaty said:
webeleafowners said:
I would agree. Honestly our 30 KW leaf will suit all our needs for years to come but a 40 KW would be a nice step up. Beyond that I wouldn't even consider spending a 1000 bucks for an additional 20 KW.
Actually the Leaf is 80 KW (the motor). You have a 30 KWH Leaf, a 40 KWH Leaf would be nice. Big difference between power (KW) and energy (KWH).

And of course you are right, and I'm a little lazy on the keyboard. Point taken. :D

I would be very happy with a 40 KWH battery. I'd be ready to take a break by the time a 40 KWH battery needed charge anyhoo. I hate having to stop long before I need a break. For a very long trip the time spent charging is going to be largely determined by the QC charge rate, assuming plenty of available, convenient L3 stations. The 40 KWH battery will greatly improve the inconvenient spacing of the L3 stations I have suffered with while touring.

Based on my experience touring with the 24 KWH LEAF, I think we really need a battery TMS. The battery gets scary hot on a 200+ mile trip in summer even in the NE.

California is funding QC networks on all it's major highways including Highway 49 ,US 80 and US 5. Oregon has installed them already and Washington, the state, is starting to get going. Too bad so many of the states are run by the Republicans and are tied so tightly to the Fossil Fuel Companies, they can't 'git off da dime.'

Key note presentation at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas is being streamed live on Nissan's youtube page. It's rumoured that Carlos Ghosn who is delivering the presentation may present the new next generation Nissan Leaf but more likely it will be a showcase of technology we can expect to see on the next gen Leaf.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIpK0Bh0wFnC-QqgJs6hx5w/videos.
They usually go live with a new video stream a few minutes before the presentation starts. I thinks its either 3pm or 4pm.

I can't find the source now, but I remember reading that Ghosn has "big announcements" for both CES today and NAIAS next week. My guess is, like you said, a technology showcase at CES and an automotive reveal at NAIAS. Seems to make sense to me. But it means that we have to wait another week at least to see the next Leaf. If it's only a week, I will be very happy.

GetOffYourGas said:
I can't find the source now, but I remember reading that Ghosn has "big announcements" for both CES today and NAIAS next week. My guess is, like you said, a technology showcase at CES and an automotive reveal at NAIAS. Seems to make sense to me. But it means that we have to wait another week at least to see the next Leaf. If it's only a week, I will be very happy.

Exactly my thoughts too after reading some more recent articles.

Speaking of which, some autonomous driving is confirmed for LEAF 2.0:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/ces-2017-nissan-autonomous/

Ok, there will be lots of things to review in the next few weeks. But..... This picture seems to be the closest thing I've seen that might be Leaf 2 and not some futuristic concept (IDS or whatever). It's from InsideEVs and it looks very similar to the current Leaf, with a few minor changes (reduced bug eyed lights, lower grill changes, more aero wheels, side mirrors for holding a camera?, lower skirt around both front and back wheels, camera/radar/lidar something on top that's probably for autonomous driving, backside seen in second picture, again similar but definitely different that existing Leaf, maybe the rear roof line drops down more than the current Leaf and is missing the antenna:
http://insideevs.com/watch-nissan-ceo-carlos-ghosn-live-presentation-tech-advancements-4pm-pst/
Nissan-LEAF-CES-Nissan-Intelligent-Mobility.jpg

Nissan-LEAF-CES-Nissan-Intelligent-Mobilty-4.jpg

Reddy said:
Ok, there will be lots of things to review in the next few weeks. But..... This picture seems to be the closest thing I've seen that might be Leaf 2 and not some futuristic concept (IDS or whatever). It's from InsideEVs and it looks very similar to the current Leaf, with a few minor changes (reduced bug eyed lights, lower grill changes, more aero wheels, side mirrors for holding a camera?, lower skirt around both front and back wheels, camera/radar/lidar something on top that's probably for autonomous driving, backside seen in second picture, again similar but definitely different that existing Leaf, maybe the rear roof line drops down more than the current Leaf and is missing the antenna:
http://insideevs.com/watch-nissan-ceo-carlos-ghosn-live-presentation-tech-advancements-4pm-pst/

To my eye, it looks like a current gen leaf with a body kit, and autonomous sensors added to a set of roof rails. Hopefully just a mule, as I would like to see a true second gen Leaf.

Firetruck41 said:
..To my eye, it looks like a current gen leaf with a body kit, and autonomous sensors added to a set of roof rails. Hopefully just a mule, as I would like to see a true second gen Leaf.
And it sounds like you will, in the "near future".

Lot's of info on Nissan's plans from CES, but not much new on the next gen LEAF, beyond what was said in the quotes below.

Announcing the New Nissan LEAF: The next chapter in Nissan Intelligent Power

On stage at CES, Ghosn announced plans to launch a new Nissan LEAF, with ProPILOT technology, enabling autonomous drive functionality for single-lane highway driving. The new LEAF is coming in the near future and represents the next chapter of Nissan Intelligent Power....
http://newsroom.nissan-europe.com/eu/en-gb/media/pressreleases/426167816/announcing-the-new-nissan-leaf-the-next-chapter-in-nissan-intelligent-power

..Asami confirmed that at least one version of the next Leaf would have a range "at or above 200 miles," though he said the company was debating whether different ranges might be required for North America, Europe, and Asia...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108175_next-nissan-leaf-propilot-self-driving-included-200-mile-range-or-more-confirmed

Nissan ducked up. Instead of focusing on the vehicle it's trying to add shitty Cortana. Stupid stupid stupid. It's the wheels, drive train, chassis and where I rest my ass they need to focus on. The shittiest part of the leaf experience has been how their software and built in comm was out of date before they even shipped the vehicle. My phone is a updated physically on a yearly basis, incredibly secure, private and pleasure to use while my Leaf can't even connect anymore, was never particularly usable or secure. What Nissan shipped as an " app" was simply atrocious so now they're going to hand off the user experience to the company that utterly failed to understand UI design, mobility and BYOD. Beyond sharing bad user interfaces I guess Nissan and Microsoft also share a penchant for "concept" videos as a way to look innovative while avoiding addressing the real challenges.

Reddy said:

looks a little better. at least it doesn't have those big radar things on the sides anymore...

Firetruck41 said:
To my eye, it looks like a current gen leaf with a body kit, and autonomous sensors added to a set of roof rails. Hopefully just a mule, as I would like to see a true second gen Leaf.
Yup, looking more closely, I think you're right. Probably just a mule. That would make sense because version 2 will probably be a similar size/platform.

This is exactly what BMW does in the middle of one generation. Usually one chassis design
lasts for 7 years and in the middle they do facelift (or as BMW calls, Life Cycle Impulse).
This always means new bumpers, (side skirts if available). New head/tail light design.
Possibly new mirror design. Definitely new choice for wheels and colors.
Engines/options update even more rapidly.
All this changes the look a lot with no need total chassis redesign. Crash tests, stamping tools...
This Leaf looks exactly like facelift. Therefore it is not Leaf2, it should be Leaf FaceLift :lol:

For me it looks definitely better but bumpers are impractical overkill (radars inside? still dumb).
Those black things in the bumper will be shelves for mud and snow for me, all sensors there will fail.
Bigger doors sills means more sh*t on jeans. Not as bad as i8 but still impractical :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back