LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new LEAF will still use a shared platform, this mule could very well be the next Juke, as they are built on the same line as the Leaf and the Versa that are also up for a refresh.

OrientExpress said:
The new LEAF will still use a shared platform, this mule could very well be the next Juke, as they are built on the same line as the Leaf and the Versa that are also up for a refresh.

when did they start this?

DaveinOlyWA said:
OrientExpress said:

when did they start this?

When did they start putting a charge port door on the front of a gasoline car?

Quite a while ago.

This is the Golf GTE which is a plug-in gas-electric vehicle. The Audi A3 e-Tron also has a front mounted charge port.

golfGTEchrport.jpg

The LEAF is built on the Nissan B platform that also is the basis for the Juke, Cube, Micra, Note, NV200, Versa, Sentra, and other cars from Renault and Dacia. The LEAF is the only BEV variant of the B platform.

OrientExpress said:
The LEAF is the only BEV variant of the B platform.
Well if you don't include the eNV-200 that Europe and Japan has had for a few years but for whatever reason can't seem to make it across the pond for us N. Americans :x
I'm really hoping with the introduction of larger batteries, 30kwh+ we'll finally see the eNV-200 and I for one would be one of the first to order one :)

Firetruck41 said:
Hopefully that's a mule, otherwise it just looks like a mid cycle refresh. Same body/platform with a few updated details... meh.
agreed. However, if Nissan decides to compete on price first, then this makes perfect sense, only tweak a few things, keep engineering costs down, keep parts costs down, etc. Besides, this seems to address some of the weirdness comments from people about the bug eyes and ugly butt. If they release a lightly updated Leaf with 200 mi range for $25,000, they have a fighting chance getting some market away from Tesla 3 and Bolt. Once they get into the $35,000 range, I think they'll have trouble.

If they release a refreshed Leaf SV for $35k ($37 with Premium package) with a 200 mile range, the same comfortable seats and good interior, it will sell - IF they fix the headlights (apparently done) and update the firmware to include at least one other charge setting (hilltop mode would be fine). A horsepower bump to at least 125 would also be very welcome. Not everyone wants to drive a homely little box with torque steer and hard seats that costs $43k if you want parking cameras. If they can keep the S30 as is for less than $27.5k (with QC and 6.6 OBC), that too will be a winner.

LeftieBiker said:
Not everyone wants to drive a homely little box (Bolt) with torque steer and hard seats that costs $43k if you want parking cameras. If they can keep the S30 as is for less than $27.5k (with QC and 6.6 OBC), that too will be a winner.
Yes, I have tried the Bolt. Horrible seats and the sound system was not only not very good, it actually was painful to listen to.

The Bolt's sound system may be fixable via adjustments. My Leaf sounded pretty bad even with the Bose system, until I adjusted it via the audio menu.

Or, GM may have designed the audio system, from the ground up, to sound terrible no matter what you do. ;-)

I, on the other hand, know two people who abandoned their Leafs for the Bolt... And one who did for a Volt.

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
3 months ago most were claiming Nissan was done. Why the change of heart? :)
They sat in a bolt for 5 minutes. :) That was the deciding factor for us. We closed a deal on a brand new SV two days later. : :D

Yeah, I have a friend who bought a Bolt Premier and who is an audio mixer, and he went through and adjusted the equalization and so on and know it sounds quite nice.

LeftieBiker said:
The Bolt's sound system may be fixable via adjustments. My Leaf sounded pretty bad even with the Bose system, until I adjusted it via the audio menu.

TomT said:
I, on the other hand, know two people who abandoned their Leafs for the Bolt... And one who did for a Volt.

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
They sat in a bolt for 5 minutes. :) That was the deciding factor for us. We closed a deal on a brand new SV two days later. : :D

yeah, could be an age thing. I know one guy who was absolutely certain he was getting a Bolt then saw one at LA auto show (i think) and now he not so sure. but he old like me. He still wants the range so he is thinking about doing extended test drive to see if he can live with the seats.

but he has less than 2 months left on LEAF lease...

In other news; the Hyundai is almost here. I was VERY Skeptical about their range claims but saw a youtuber test drive one in a Scandinavian Winter with studded tires no less and was getting over 120 miles on his legs. Temps from teens to low 20's. Can't even begin to think what I could do in Summer here on that!

TomT said:

webeleafowners said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Its so true though. Taste is very much a personal thing. We were quite honestly stunned at the horrible interior of the Bolt...and the exteriour just looked so ordinary. We love the eccentric styling of the leaf and the interior just kinda takes us in and wraps around us. Honestly I did not drive the Bolt before (but have since) but we felt it was noisier than the leaf. Maybe I'm wrong. It just seemed to lack any class. We were both looking at each other when the guy showed it to us and knew within the first 10 seconds it wasn't going to work. The extra range is just a waste for us. 175 KM is way ore than we'll ever need. We are either flying or taking the motorhome if its more than that. Hasn't happened in the last 10 years, no reason to think it will happen in the next 10 years.

Anyway, not trying to diss the Bolt. I'm sure its very nice for the right people. But for the extra 12 grand and no nav it just didn't work for us.

JMHO

NavyCuda said:
Nissan wants to have the best price, so keeping the same platform saves them a tremendous amount of money.

It also saves a lot of time. Maybe they were ready for 2019 and suddenly told 2017 (but now late obviously) after the bolt came out as a concept. We shall never know but the internet will forever argue....

geefish said:
Looking at the spy shots I don't think for a moment that its the same platform as the current Leaf. It's definitely a new design platform. The wheelbase is longer and I may be mistaken but the width or "track" looks a little wider as well. Underneath all the tape and coverings I think it looks a lot like an artists rendering which appeared a few months ago here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/11/23/nissan-exec-new-leaf-unveiled-soon-new-design-battery/

and here:

http://carttraction.com/2018-nissan-leaf/

If it ends up looking like these renderings, I for one, would be happy.

Platforms can usually have different width and wheelbases no problem. Look at any station wagon, usually the same from the rear door forward but longer wheel base. Usually the only thing set in stone on a platform is the distance of the firewall to the front suspension but even in new modular platforms that are all the rage this may be changing.

And for the person who said the Leaf shares a platform so this may be a plug in hybrid of one of those cars I'm pretty sure Nissan has always claimed the leaf is it's own platform. It is not close enough to anything else they make for them to consider it a shared platform. Although I think it is pretty obvious it evolved from the versa platform since early quotes were they were going to use that platform. Plus it can't be a hybrid because there's no tail pipe.

DaveinOlyWA said:
the spy shots are a mule. I would take ZERO from the apparent shape.

Most mules I've seen never have anything new on it, they usually try to make it look like something old instead of trying to hide something new. I'm pretty confident this isn't a mule.

I waited as long as I could for Nissan to come through, but they have failed to provide a enough information, and the clock has run out.

eastocean said:
I waited as long as I could for Nissan to come through, but they have failed to provide a enough information, and the clock has run out.

Have you tried calling Nissan directly, and explaining that? There are now rumors of a possible lease extension, and also a possible discount, to get current Leaf drivers into a 2018 Leaf. Without something more solid than rumors, though, Nissan will lose a lot of Leaf drivers this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back