LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried calling Nissan directly, and explaining that? There are now rumors of a possible lease extension, and also a possible discount, to get current Leaf drivers into a 2018 Leaf. Without something more solid than rumors, though, Nissan will lose a lot of Leaf drivers this year.

I have already extended my lease 6 months, ending in April. More would require the continuing lease fees and more car registration fees.

I was hoping the Goshen keynote at the Detroit Auto Show Jan 5, or the speech the week after would give clarity. It didn't. Only "in the near future". Instead the Nissan press machine gives us a weekly chapter of an adoring biography of Carlos Goshen.

I really wanted to be a Nissan customer. Experience and early to market risks earned that. Not now. I have a TPW and delivery date before Nissan says anything.

Added later: I would point out that the first "spy shots" for the Bolt appeared 17 months before production began. If given a fairly similar chassis and software system , maybe they are working on a shorter time frame... 8 to 10 months before production?

Many of us that are long time LEAF owners have leases that will expire in the next six months and some are getting anxious about their next move, but patience is in order, everything will be much clearer in the next 4-6 months and it will be worth the wait.

Stay tuned.

:p Well if you say I'll be happy, I'll wait. Let's see what you're working on Nissan people. Nissan z style leaf headlights, 300 mile range, and style. Don't let me down again on the style and range Nissan.

At this point I'd happily accept 150 miles of actual range (100 actual in Winter), a bit more power and a bunch of minor yet important refinements. That's assuming a lease or purchase price about 3/5ths - 4/5ths of the Bolt, of course. They'd better not be preparing to charge through the nose for Leaf V1.65, after delivering it a year late.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-nissan-leaf-spy-photos-news

C&D's published the spy shots and their thoughts. They are guessing January 2018 for deliveries.

jhm614 said:

C&D's published the spy shots and their thoughts. They are guessing January 2018 for deliveries.

Hopefully Nissan learned their lesson and will offer TMS on these cars, I'll pass if not, given the stories about rapidly deteriorating 30kWh packs I lost faith in a stable battery with passive cooling.

Valdemar said:
Hopefully Nissan learned their lesson and will offer TMS on these cars, I'll pass if not, given the stories about rapidly deteriorating 30kWh packs I lost faith in a stable battery with passive cooling.

Not a chance.

OrientExpress said:
Valdemar said:

Not a chance.

No Leaf 2 for me then, I should be able to limp into a Model 3 in my Gen 1, I haven't put a deposit so it'll be a while.

Valdemar said:
With the right price (30K-ish) and the right warranty (8 years, 70%, ~120,000 miles), I would be willing to give a 40kWh passively cooled pack another shot.

OrientExpress said:
Valdemar said:
Not a chance.
Not a chance that they learned their lesson, not a chance they will use a TMS, or both?

jhm614 said:

From the article: "fresh approaches to managing power flow and battery temperature will better serve the needs of customers in extreme climates"

Me: Huh???

OrientExpress said:
Many of us that are long time LEAF owners have leases that will expire in the next six months and some are getting anxious about their next move, but patience is in order, everything will be much clearer in the next 4-6 months and it will be worth the wait.

Stay tuned.

A bit past anxious here at this point - we extended our 2012 lease last year hoping Nissan would step up to the competition and release the next generation LEAF.

With only 2 weeks remaining, unfortunately our time has run out and our patience has been unrewarded.

It's good to hear there will be some welcome news soon, but I still have to wonder that even if Nissan's intentions become clear inside the next 4-6 months, unless there is actual product on the dealers lots, folks coming off their leases will have nothing to move into and likely will opt to move on.

Stoaty said:
jhm614 said:

From the article: "fresh approaches to managing power flow and battery temperature will better serve the needs of customers in extreme climates"

Me: Huh???

Missed that. So, there is hope?

As far as active cooling? Nissan has made great strides in passively cooled batteries since 2014, so it is doubtful that the new LEAF will be burdened with a liquid cooled battery.

So, may be we'll get a next gen Leaf in a year or so. But, that would be too late for me. I've to return my Leaf in 2 months and get a new vehicle. Looks like a Bolt - unless Ioniq shows up soon.

I still think it unlikely the 60kWh Leaf will be available with the MY18. More likely the prices remain the same and SV, SL get 40 kWh. So, basically you would get a higher trim Leaf 2 with lower range for the same price or less as Model 3 & Bolt.

OrientExpress said:
As far as active cooling? Nissan has made great strides in passively cooled batteries since 2014, so it is doubtful that the new LEAF will be burdened with a liquid cooled battery.

Great strides? What about the multitude of reports from 30Kwh Leaf owners about their capacity dropping at a rate faster than that of the original 2011 packs? My less than 1 y/o replacement battery isn't doing all that great as well. I haven't seen any data, official or otherwise, showing the new battery tech from Nissan is significantly better in hot climate.

Valdemar said:
OrientExpress said:

Great strides? What about the multitude of reports from 30Kwh Leaf owners about their capacity dropping at a rate faster than that of the original 2011 packs? My less than 1 y/o replacement battery isn't doing all that great as well. I haven't seen any data, official or otherwise, showing the new battery tech from Nissan is significantly better in hot climate.

They've made great strides in adjusting battery heat degradation and warranties so they don't overlap quite so much. Not until about 2021, anyway.

@LeftieBiker

Great point. I haven't yet "pulled the trigger" on buying out my 2015 lease. Will have to think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back