LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't leave very much to the imagination. They have cleaned up the aero at the back, quite a bit, I think.

Looks pretty good. It does appear just a bit wider than the current Leaf. Hatchback opening appears larger.

Funny though if you look closely at the front hood, you can see where the old headlights would have gone, but now they are just humps that will keep the wind noise down.

If you look closely at some of the shots where you can see the interior, it appears the HVAC vents have more width and shorter in height. (similar to what the current gen Nissans have).

I just hope there is a 60 kWh version available...

dims

2018-Nissan-Leaf-Carscoops-2.jpg

2018-nissan-leaf-spyshot-exterior-6.jpg

That Car Scoops render (from March!!!) is looking more and more accurate. Somebody there saw the final body work....

I think I'm going like Leaf 2.0!

I just read the autoblog report and looked more closely at the pictures. Previously I had missed the center hump above the windshield and "blue" cameras(?) underneath each side mirror. Definitely some autopilot stuff there. This should be an interesting fall. Again, I'm not sure they can compete with Tesla unless they come in under $35K and over 200 mi. Then again, price is everything to the general public, so maybe Nissan will introduce Leaf 2 at the higher price (say $35K), then slowly lower the price each year as total sales crosses over the 200,000 total and the $7500 tax credit sunsets.

IIRC Tesla has stated to have full auto pilot, it would require a higher trim level which would increase the cost to at least $40K. And that Nissan has stated that it will have several auto pilot features standard or at a relatively low trim level...making it quite competitive. Nissan's goal has been to make this car the Leading Environmentally Affordable Family (LEAF) vehicle...so I think they could do it at a lower price for the smaller battery pack option ($32K?).

Even more pics of interior and exterior. Power button moved to center stack bottom.

http://insideevs.com/2018-nissan-leaf-spyshots-interior-exterior/

Looks OK, but don't really care about the looks.

What will the Cd come in at?

Consensus on this forum seems to be leaning to no 60 kWh pack right away. I really hope you're all wrong.

jdcbomb said:
Even more pics of interior and exterior. Power button moved to center stack bottom.
http://insideevs.com/2018-nissan-leaf-spyshots-interior-exterior/
Also, it looks like the cameras under the mirrors and hump above the windshield are gone. Behind the steering wheels there is an image of a car visible. Autopilot?

The results are in, and except for a few outliers, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV because they all cost in excess of $40K. The proof of this is no other than the utter failure of the Bolt to be successful in the US market. Even with incentives that are causing GM to sell each car at a loss, most dealers have 50 ~200 cars languishing on their lots. GM is losing about $7500 on every car, as a comparison, Tesla is expected to lose about $3K on every Model 3 they sell.

The Bolt will be a textbook study of what happens when you focus on only one aspect of a product and not the total experience.

What most people are happy with is a 150-mile BEV that can be had for around $20K after incentives. The new LEAF S is that car and is going to be selling like hot cakes and Nissan will actually be making money.

OrientExpress said:
What most people are happy with is a 150-mile BEV that can be had for around $20K after incentives. The new LEAF S is that car and is going to be selling like hot cakes and Nissan will actually be making money.

What I want it a 150 mile BEV with battery cooling and a high charge rate. I drive mine to work and to dinner with the family, and I have limited immediate interest to take it on a cross-country trip. A car the size of a Leaf is not something I would drive 1500+ miles. If there was a way to just blow conditioned air from the AC compressor through the battery case....sigh.

A 250+ mile Bolt would not suit me. If I had to drive 250 miles a day to and from work i would sell my house and move closer, even if my employer was buying my gas.

OrientExpress said:
The results are in, and except for a few outliers, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV because they all cost in excess of $40K.
I guess that is why the Model 3 has about 400,000 reservations... because no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV. What a bunch of nonsense!

Stoaty said:
OrientExpress said:
The results are in, and except for a few outliers, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV because they all cost in excess of $40K.
I guess that is why the Model 3 has about 400,000 reservations... because no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile EV. What a bunch of nonsense!

lets fix it

The results are in, no one gives a hoot about a 200+ mile $20,000 hatchEV selling for $35,000

but 400,000 pay deposit on a 200+mile for a $42k premium sedan EV selling for $35,000

Nissan gotta go for the whitespace, can't compete with Tesla on desirability, but can compete with GM on cost and particularly availability.
Outside of CARB and its vassal states, Nissan will be the only one available at an Affordable lease price.

after all, the A in LEAF stands for Affordable

Tesla 3, by definition is only for the richer half of the new car market.

If there was a way to just blow conditioned air from the AC compressor through the battery case....sigh.

Technically, there is one even now. You blast the A/C on Fresh (air intake) with the windows closed, and some of it gets blown down through the battery case. The problem is that the A/C condenser lies right upstream of the battery cooling intake...

LeftieBiker said:
If there was a way to just blow conditioned air from the AC compressor through the battery case....sigh.

Technically, there is one even now. You blast the A/C on Fresh (air intake) with the windows closed, and some of it gets blown down through the battery case. The problem is that the A/C condenser lies right upstream of the battery cooling intake...
Huh? I thought the entire battery case on a Leaf was sealed and under slightly positive pressure.

There is a topic on this here somewhere. It seems there is a flap in the center rear of the floor that lets air down into the cooling tunnel above the pack if cabin pressure is positive.

I'm guessing you're referring to this one:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20122&hilit=cooling+tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back