Leaf charging info.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
derkraut said:
LEAFguy said:
mywaracfirfoyff said:
I found this list of charging levels on the RAV4-EV mailing list, and though it might be of interest to the people here.

The 2011 Leaf will come with a 3.3KW charger on board.
The 2012 Leaf will have a 6.6KW charger.
It will be possible to upgrade the 2011 with the faster charger (at extra cost) when the 2012 model comes out.

I know that this is a very old thread, and I know that this topic has been addressed in other threads, but I feel that the following subject needs to be addressed.

Where has Nissan - in a publicly available press release - announced any of this?

I have also seen others say that future LEAFs will have a 6.6kw charger. I have seen no one site Nissan as the source (other than one Nissan online chat, where the operator said basically that everything was subject to change). I mean, let's face it, Nissan hasn't even finalized specifications of the 2011 LEAF. Now all of this may actually come to pass. But I won't believe any of it until I see a Nissan executive say it, or see it in a Nissan press release.

Leafguy: I really appreciate your efforts to keep the info on these posts factual---instead of rumors and hearsay. I wish we could all limit our posts to FACTS. There's way too much BS being put out here :)

The only written fact is that the Leaf charger spec will be 3.3 kwh. There are people who have driven the Leaf in Japan that have been told by Nissan that they intend to make changes to the charger, not a fact yet. There are no official announcements and if you need the present WRITTEN facts they are on the Nissan site, this only makes them the written facts until cars are ordered as stated. AV is the official Leaf EVSE supplier and it is a FACT they have repeatedly stated that if you don't use their EVSE you won't get the tax credit but that does not make it a fact because it is not.

EVDRIVER,

Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers here. This is an enthusiastic, supportive LEAF community. I'm glad that I found it. It has already been a wonderful resource. My intent is to try to mitigate negative impressions of the LEAF by making sure that expectations held are realistic, and based on verifiable information. In fact, your illustration proves my point. Just because a supplier to Nissan states something, doesn't make it true. Once again, a sited reference would be useful, and AV does not seem to want to provide one. It may be a fact that they have said you won't get the tax credit, but if they can't verify it, the fact that they said it doesn't make it true.

Regarding the on-board charger - I believe in Chelsea Sexton's write up, she mentioned that the 6.6kW will not likely be available until the 2nd generation LEAF. That would imply several years out, and I think she said that. I believe she also said that it hadn't been decided yet. That is good reporting. She didn't state it as fact, she stated what she knew.

Back