Leaf down pothole takes out front & rear drivers side tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baumgrenze said:
... I appreciate that weight and space are at a premium in the Leaf, but I would try to figure out how to make a jack/spare 'an option' for those who really don't plan on fitting luggage/golf clubs into the car. Have any members put effort into determining if a jack and workable donut spare can be fit into a Leaf? If so, where are the jack points? ...
TonyWilliams has a whole thread on the subject and has sussed what temp spares fit and the jacking, and how to stow it on board: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He also holds the current forum record for the most flat tires. :D

No flats with mine, but in a recent group of three other Leaf owners, two have had 2 flats already. Clearly the Leaf tires are not made for good wear, only for maximum range. I will replace them with something else when mine go.

Is the suspension mechanism of the car entirely different from the conventional vehicle? I mean there should be difference coz the motor is electrically powered. It maybe equipped with tie rod but the mounting points that helps the vehicle stabilized in bumps is surely designed to the specification of low end torque electric motor.

thomasrandy said:
Is the suspension mechanism of the car entirely different from the conventional vehicle? I mean there should be difference coz the motor is electrically powered. It maybe equipped with tie rod but the mounting points that helps the vehicle stabilized in bumps is surely designed to the specification of low end torque electric motor.
It depends on what you mean by "different". Configuration-wise, the LEAF's suspension is very very common. A great number of FWD cars on the road today run the same Macpherson strut and lower A arm front suspension. The torque beam with trailing arms rear suspension is also quite common, found in smaller watercooled VWs up until about 2000.

Obviously, geometry-wise, as in the degrees of camber and caster, the amount of toe, etc. it's difficult to compare the LEAF to other vehicles with the same suspension configuration.

As far as the characteristics of the motor, it's not all that unsual either. Diesels, specifically VW's TDI, routinely produce lots of torque down low and little horsepower up top, just like the LEAF. For example, the TDI engine in the 2012 VW Jetta produces 236 ft-lbs at 1750 rpm and only 140 bhp at 4000 rpm.

I seriously doubt very much if the LEAF has a tire problem because of its suspension. In fact, given the number of reports here, I'm not even convinced that the LEAF has a tire problem. So far, Nissan has sold 21,000 LEAFs. How many reports have we seen? I'd say I've seen less than ten reports of tire problems, which, if true, is about five hundredths of one percent.

FWIW, I suspect that the LEAF's OEM tires may have thinner sidewalls
than the same make, model and size tires mounted as replacements.

Two or three years ago, there was a rash of sidewall failures on Gen II Prii
reported on PRIUSchat. So what's up with that?

Subsequently, I ran up on the sharp corner of a granite curb used --
allegedly to minimize damage from snow plows -- in Portland, ME, with
four people in my Gen II. The left rear tire sidewall failed; it looked like
it had been cut with a knife from tread to bead.

My Touring model runs 16 in. Bridgestone Potenzas vice the standard 15 in.
Goodyear Integrities. It took 24 hrs to have a matching tire shipped in
from a Boston warehouse. The tire was mounted and I drove off.

At 60K miles it was time for new tires all around. I was happy with the
Potenzas; good tire wear and lifetime MPG of 50.4. So I got four more
Potenzas. During the demounting/mounting I was able to directly compare
the OEM tires with the replacements. The sidewalls of the OEMs showed
signs of being thinner than the replacements. They felt thinner, and
they were much easer to bend/flex by hand -- sorry, I didn't have a
micrometer in my pocket that day. :)

Why would Toyota mount thinner sidewall tires as OEM? IIRC, on
PRIUSchat it was thought that the assumedly lighter tire might add a
tenth or two to the MPGs for FE bragging rights...
and they might be a handful of dollars/yen cheaper as well.

I dunno. But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Nissan was up to the
same tricks for MPGe/range bragging rights and lower costs.

A member getting a new set or single tire matching the OEMs could
do a much better comparison than I did to confirm or deny.

The fact that the OEM tires have an 89 load rating and the exact same replacement tire has a higher 91 rating could lend credence to that... (The Michelins I put on my car to replace the OEM tires also have a 91 rating.) However, I believe the bottom line is that they are simply not very robust tires and that they sacrificed much to be exceptionally LRR and recycled-made...
Rokeby said:

Rokeby said:

Two or three years ago, there was a rash of sidewall failures on Gen II Prii
reported on PRIUSchat. So what's up with that?

Subsequently, I ran up on the sharp corner of a granite curb used --
allegedly to minimize damage from snow plows -- in Portland, ME, with
four people in my Gen II. The left rear tire sidewall failed; it looked like
it had been cut with a knife from tread to bead.

My Touring model runs 16 in. Bridgestone Potenzas vice the standard 15 in.
Goodyear Integrities. It took 24 hrs to have a matching tire shipped in
from a Boston warehouse. The tire was mounted and I drove off.

At 60K miles it was time for new tires all around. I was happy with the
Potenzas; good tire wear and lifetime MPG of 50.4. So I got four more
Potenzas. During the demounting/mounting I was able to directly compare
the OEM tires with the replacements. The sidewalls of the OEMs showed
signs of being thinner than the replacements. They felt thinner, and
they were much easer to bend/flex by hand -- sorry, I didn't have a
micrometer in my pocket that day. :)

Why would Toyota mount thinner sidewall tires as OEM? IIRC, on
PRIUSchat it was thought that the assumedly lighter tire might add a
tenth or two to the MPGs for FE bragging rights...
and they might be a handful of dollars/yen cheaper as well.

I dunno. But it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Nissan was up to the
same tricks for MPGe/range bragging rights and lower costs.

A member getting a new set or single tire matching the OEMs could
do a much better comparison than I did to confirm or deny.

wow, so i am not crazy? i had a tire split by running over an sprinkler head in my sisters yard during holidays. i also had issues getting tire but eventually found one right under my nose at Firestone in Lacey (they had 10 sitting on a shelf) i dismounted tire (was easier than having it towed plus i did not want possibility of tow damage) took it over had them swap tires and brought it back. the replacement tire felt heavier but did not know it because they placed in back of the Prius for me.

i wish i would have asked about how the damage occurred, perceived quality differences etc. wondering now if the difference is from Bridgestone or Nissan. after all, shaving a pound from the tire for shipping purposes over 10's of thousands of tires??

does anyone know where the Ecopias are made? kinda interested because after the performance of the Leaf in that snowstorm we had, i am hooked on the tire. granted its wider than the Prius tires but the performance was much greater than i had hoped for

The lighter the tire, the longer the range.. and range seems to be the No. 1 concern for most people. It may be a substantial amount difference for the average lead foot driver. It takes lots of energy to spin up a heavy tire.

They can also go to smaller tires but people then complain about looks.. people are never happy.

Both the 89 and the 91 rating are (were) available for purchase
at http://www.OnlineTires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Cypress, CA.
(They were about $89 plus tax and shipping, if needed).

Herm said:
The lighter the tire, the longer the range.. and range seems to be the No. 1 concern for most people. It may be a substantial amount difference for the average lead foot driver. It takes lots of energy to spin up a heavy tire.

They can also go to smaller tires but people then complain about looks.. people are never happy.
Codswallop; the rotational inertia is insignificant compared to the inertia of the car body. I'd expect the issue is how much lossy rubber the car has to continually deform into a flat contact patch on each tire.

baumgrenze said:
Have any members put effort into determining if a jack and workable donut spare can be fit into a Leaf? If so, where are the jack points? I appreciate that Nissan's engineers 'want to do it all' and that they consider 'changing a tire' a task suitable only for a professional (read the manual.) Full acceptance over time will require a bit of bending of this attitude.

Nissan USA wanted to save weight and cost.

There are numerous threads on spare tires:

Buy a new spare (or preferably recycle a used one from a wrecking/junk yard) from any many cars that have a 5 x 4.5 inch (114.3mm) bolt pattern. The post 2002 Altima wheel fits, for example. Get the jack and lug wrench with it. Deflate the tire to fit in the bottom of the trunk/boot. Use the supplied air pump to pump up when needed.

More spare tire data:

The official Nissan spare tire for the LEAF is a T125/90D16 98M. The Jeep Grand Cherokee uses that tire, for instance.

The wheel (rim) part number is 403001ya7a that can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA. Good luck finding one. Price is big. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.

The jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties). See below price of Altima jack in comparison.

The tool kit 99501-4J800 and sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

The Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership:
40300-L31010. Should be 66.1mm center hub diameter.
$184

Jack: 99550-L31001
$33.08

Lug wrench: 99545
$7.15

Found this ad with a quick google search for the spare tire size "T125 90D16 98M":

Spare Tires T125 90D16 98M(^#^) - $20 (Richmond)

Date: 2012-01-08, 12:08PM PST
Reply to:

[email protected]

Bridgestone compact spare tire (Made in Japan) T125 90D16 98M c/w 5 bolts' rim. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 mm. Came off a Infiniti J30, may fit other type of vehicles. Price... $20

Note from me: Sometimes the bolt pattern may be in English measure, which is 5x4.5 inches. Also, Infiniti is a Nissan product.

List of possible wheels that fit:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=166320#p166320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:twisted: Just a quick note on flat tires in the Leaf. Spoke to another Leaf Owner who got a flat and used that instant tireinflator can that comes with the car. worked just fine but it ruined the sensor in the tire so when she went to the dealer to have it replaced it was gonna cost her $450 to get a new tire, a new can of that tire inflator and repair the tire sensor. She decided against all that just took her car to Discount Tires got a new tire and just ignores the warning light on her dash about the tires. She said it would have been easier and cheaper to just tow the car in and fix the tire. FYI

Leaf owner in San Diego,CA

girldoc said:
:twisted: Just a quick note on flat tires in the Leaf. Spoke to another Leaf Owner who got a flat and used that instant tireinflator can that comes with the car. worked just fine but it ruined the sensor in the tire so when she went to the dealer to have it replaced it was gonna cost her $450 to get a new tire, a new can of that tire inflator and repair the tire sensor. She decided against all that just took her car to Discount Tires got a new tire and just ignores the warning light on her dash about the tires. She said it would have been easier and cheaper to just tow the car in and fix the tire. FYI

Leaf owner in San Diego,CA

Yeah, those in the know kind of know that already.

I carry a tire plug kit with me for on the road stuff involving nails and the like. And, of course, once the plug is in you can use the electric pump WITHOUT the goop to get the tire inflated again. Of course, I know that won't help me for a lengthy cut or in a blowout with sidewall damage.

girldoc said:
:twisted: Just a quick note on flat tires in the Leaf. Spoke to another Leaf Owner who got a flat and used that instant tireinflator can that comes with the car. worked just fine but it ruined the sensor [...] She said it would have been easier and cheaper to just tow the car in and fix the tire.
mwalsh said:
I carry a tire plug kit with me for on the road stuff involving nails and the like. And, of course, once the plug is in you can use the electric pump WITHOUT the goop to get the tire inflated again. Of course, I know that won't help me for a lengthy cut or in a blowout with sidewall damage.
In which case, the goop would be highly unlikely to help anyway.

Back