LEAF Insurance prices too high?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm insuring 5 cars and added the Leaf (a new S) lease vehicle for a cost of about $100/month - $1200 year. It will chew into the cost of ownership, certainly. I'm insured through Metropolitan Casualty with a special 'group discount' at work. I'm going to check out the Costco insurance plans.

My problem, like many Leaf owners, is that I am ADDING the Leaf to my stable of vehicles shared by 5 family members. 2 are in college, one still in High School. The Mini-Cooper is now officially a 'Sunday Driver,' cutting its cost in half. I suppose I could cut costs by putting the deductible up to $1,000 on all vehicles.

Because I'm in the State of Georgia, I get a fantastic rebate ($5,000) off my income tax. It makes it workable. Despite saving $150/month on gas, the insurance will eat up most of that savings. It evens out, but just barely.

I didn't see the Leaf being charged any higher rate than other cars I own, and that surprised me because it is the newest by far.

Just got a quote to replace my ICE car (2011 G37S) with a 2013 SL, and GEICO says my premium will increase about $20 every six months. Certainly not the end of the world, but I am a little disappointed that it would go up. :(

Just got my insurance updated, replace a 2011 Kia Optima on my policy with 2013 Leaf S.

Rates are only $2 a month more than before...

I'd say I was appalled by what Allstate wanted to insure our Leaf. It replaced a '08 Mazdaspeed3 on our policy. Our rate would have went up :?: $130 per 6 mos. to $700 something for the Leaf and a Titan. Geico...$380 for both. More Leaf savings :D

You saved money by switching from Allstate to Geico?

I just had the same experience in reverse last year! I was with Geico for years and they never gave me any discounts. Last year I switched to Allstate and for the two cars I had insured then, the rates not only dropped from $1100 down to $600 (for 6 months!), but I also got better coverage and lowered the deductible from $1000 to $500.
I guess after originally switching to Geico (and I saved a ton back then), I got lazy, never shopped around, and they took advantage of that.

Btw. I just added the Leaf to that policy and the premium went up about $350 for 6 months

Compdoc777 said:
[...] Seriously now I am with Geico now. They really did save me more than $500 a year.
Also Allstate with the accident forgiveness and great driving discount, cash back for each year with great driving. None of that applied to me of course a customer of 25 years. It amazing how companies treat loyal customers.

Back