LEAF paint....soooooo thin!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herm said:
You are supposed to let the paint cure for a bit before doing all that stuff.. 90 days from manufacture. I would double that.

Is the orange peel in the color coat or the clear coat?

Good question. It was hard to tel, BUT running my fingers on the finish and looking at it closely seems to indicate the color coat. I am no expert so its my guess. I should have asked the detailer what he thought...

I would support a class action but i dont think it would go anywhere...

This car was built in early March. It is very cured. The orange peel is positively in the black paint.

Herm said:
You are supposed to let the paint cure for a bit before doing all that stuff.. 90 days from manufacture. I would double that.

Is the orange peel in the color coat or the clear coat?

I broke down and had Nissan dealership put their $700 protection coating on the inside and the outside. They also fixed the chips gratis when they realized that the touch up paint that they sold me would not work without the primer - which they failed to mention.

I was told not to wax it for at least 30 days - which I intend to do.

I also have the clear mask on the front end which will prevent chips below the hood but the hood is exposed. Nissan's body shop suggested that I put a clear mask on the bumper and the HEADLIGHTS!

I've been thinking about having the dealership do the paint protection too but I am completely unfamiliar with the process. What do they do? Do you think it was worth it? And, what is the "clear mask" ? Where is this done?

downeykp said:
This car was built in early March. It is very cured. The orange peel is positively in the black paint...
Yes, mine is a black early March too... "crinkly" finish from day one in certain areas. Particularly on the upper part of the rear hatch.

I took car to local body shop on Wednesday. He told me that the orange peel was in the clear coat. He said that that was not that unusual and that black cars show every imperfection. He said to wash the car horizontally front to back and to not use a circular motion. That way any marks made will be horizontal and blend in with the front to back line of sight.

Anyone here have experience with Langka?

Some time ago, I read about this in a reputable auto forum and some people swear by this product.

http://www.langka.com/paint_chip_repair.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just read the "How it works" section.

:D I just had the Armourfend applied and it looks absolutely beautiful; it prevents chips and dings in the paint. I spoke to Bob Jackson who runs Armourfend here in the US as well as worldwide and he addressed some of the issues reported generally about paint protection film. First, as to cutting in cars, all of his kits are "pre-cut" and have been for nearly 15 years. As to the yellowing, the unfortunate situation is the confusion over the use of the generic name "Armourfend" which has been confused with the actual different film manufacturers whom produce generic paint protection film. The confusion over the name as well as variations in quality have produced inferior, and hence, yellowing film. Armourfend is a patent house/design center and is not a film manufacturer. Bob uses Xpel, a far superior product which does not yellow. He showed me his wife's BMW which has had the Xpel product on it for some 5 years and there is absolutely no yellowing. Bob has a new website going up by the first of September and he said if you would like to contact him with any questions you or other Forum members can contact hims at [email protected] or call him at 916-337-9649.

Is there a color that seems to be more resistant to either paint chips or it coming off? I don't care about the scratches part as much or "orange peel" unless it's really obvious.

For me, I'd never buy a black car and I'd probably not buy the red Nissan's offering. I like blue (other than the delay mentioned when ordering) but the OP has blue and is complaining about the thinness, so maybe that's out. Silver's ok with me and white's ok except that I already have a white Prius, so I'm leaning against having two white cars.

As I posted at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/60394-prius-paint-quality-rock-chips-2.html#post828082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
The worst car I've had in terms of getting rock chips easily was my former silver (Sterling Mist) 02 Nissan Maxima. I got 9 chips on the front of the hood within the 1st few months (by around ~3K miles) so I had to get a clear bra applied to it. Its hood wasn't aluminum.
My 04 350Z in Daytona Blue didn't seem to have a paint chip problem but maybe the design of the front of the car helped and maybe it having an aluminum hood instead of steel helped...

I haven't looked closely at my mom's white 07 Altima Hybrid, but I don't think it's got any significant chips...

Maybe I should closely look at the hoods of white, silver and blue Leafs at the Bay Area meet on 12/3...

cwerdna said:
For me, I'd never buy a black car and I'd probably not buy the red Nissan's offering.

I'd never buy a black or another red car either. That's why I have the Cayenne color. It isn't red at all (except in the shade), but a beautiful light copper metallic. Have you seen the Cayenne Red LEAF? If you had, you wouldn't be calling it 'red'.

LEAFfan said:
cwerdna said:
For me, I'd never buy a black car and I'd probably not buy the red Nissan's offering.

I'd never buy a black or another red car either. That's why I have the Cayenne color. It isn't red at all (except in the shade), but a beautiful light copper metallic. Have you seen the Cayenne Red LEAF? If you had, you wouldn't be calling it 'red'.
I've seen it in person but usually while on the road. It's still a form of red to me.

cwerdna said:
LEAFfan said:
cwerdna said:

I've seen it in person but usually while on the road. It's still a form of red to me.

Then it's obvious to me that you haven't seen it in the sun yet. I would never call this color 'red'. I too thought it was red before I ordered as all the pics online showed a deep red until I saw it up close in the sun. It surprises me that Nissan even used 'red' in the color name. If you used 'red' touch-up paint, you would ruin the car's finish.

LEAFfan said:
cwerdna said:

Then it's obvious to me that you haven't seen it in the sun yet. I would never call this color 'red'. I too thought it was red before I ordered as all the pics online showed a deep red until I saw it up close in the sun. It surprises me that Nissan even used 'red' in the color name. If you used 'red' touch-up paint, you would ruin the car's finish.
Heh. My sightings of this color were in the daytime but regardless of whether one would call it "red", it's probably the 2nd to last color I'd buy, w/black being last.

caffeinekid said:
IBELEAF said:
Paint on Leaf appears the same quality as on all other budget cars I've owned, as a matter of fact I've seen this subject popup on other forums for other car makers.
I agree. Unfortunately, at > $30K, this is not exactly a budget car. It reminds me of a lot of the European cars back in the 80's. I had several Peugeots over time and they were all prolific chippers and faders.

Interesting that my 92 Pathfinder is still in fairly good shape, paint wise. It is black and has held up pretty well over the years, all of which is outdoor parking.

Edmunds is reporting peeling and chipping paint at http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/12/2011-nissan-juke-peeling-paint.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on their Juke. Per http://www.nissan.co.jp/INFO/FACTORY/HANDBOOK/PDF/PLANT_OPPAMA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the Juke's also built at Oppama (and IIRC, Jukes were rolling out of the same building as Leafs in the one of the Leaf production videos).

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do w/materials, the paint process, equipment or something else there. My 02 silver Maxima and 04 blue Z were built at Oppama, IIRC. The Maxima was one that had easily chipped paint. The Z's paint was fine.

I have the clear mask on the front end (purchased option on my 2012 SL-QC). However, that won't help on the :shock: headlights.

I can't seem to find their website but I have always used Liquid Glass on every car I have owned and can't say enough about it. Basically creates a protective barrier and lasts for months.

I'll join the crowd of those with chipped paint - down to the metal, not just the clear coat. I parked in a tight spot at a dirt lot in a nearby park today, one without painted lines for parking spaces. It was the only spot in the lot. It was tight, but I made sure to leave the person on my right as much space to get in as I had on my side. I had no trouble getting out without my door touching the SUV next to me. When I came back the car on my right was gone and there was chip of paint gone right where his door opened. At least there's no dent. I also put a small scratch in the paint when I walked by the car in the garage with my electric hedge clippers. That only got the clear coat. The color is still there.

Yeah, Leaf paint is embarrassingly bad!

Rat said:
I'll join the crowd of those with chipped paint - down to the metal, not just the clear coat. I parked in a tight spot at a dirt lot in a nearby park today, one without painted lines for parking spaces. It was the only spot in the lot. It was tight, but I made sure to leave the person on my right as much space to get in as I had on my side. I had no trouble getting out without my door touching the SUV next to me. When I came back the car on my right was gone and there was chip of paint gone right where his door opened. At least there's no dent. I also put a small scratch in the paint when I walked by the car in the garage with my electric hedge clippers. That only got the clear coat. The color is still there.

Suzuki has the worst paint of all automakers that sell in the US. Take a look at a used Suzuki some time. Ford seems to have done quite well recently. Can't really comment on any other brands.

I didn't even know Suzuki was still selling cars in the U.S... The quality of all aspects of their vehicles was always suspect... Even Chevy finally dropped them.

The paint on both our Acura and particularly the BMW has done very well and proven to be quite robust and durable.

kubel said:
Suzuki has the worst paint of all automakers that sell in the US. Take a look at a used Suzuki some time. Ford seems to have done quite well recently. Can't really comment on any other brands.

Back