Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
famelec said:
How much lower do folks think discounting will go this month on the 2015 S?

Around here the online discount is as high as $9,400 ($4,400 from dealer plus $5,000 from Nissan). If the dealers keep their websites current, they still don't seem to be moving.

How badly will the dealers want to sell their 2015s before the end of the year? I'm kind of holding out for total discounts of $12,000. Am I pushing my luck?

Back in early November I picked up a 2015 S w/QC package from an SF bay area dealer for ~$11K in discounts before tax credits/rebates ($6K dealer discount, $5K financing bonus cash). Unless inventory has gotten very thin, I'd think you could still do at least as well with the 30 kWh 2016 now on lots. TrueCar through Consumer Reports (and available through other sources) was helpful in getting a sense for which dealers were serious about discounting.

Looking at picking up a 2015 SL in Washington with the fancy "around-view" package. Got two rough quotes and wondering what y'all thoughts are:

MSRP: $38,140.00
Dealer Invoice: $36,463.00
Burien Discount: $-1250.00
Rebate: $-10,825
Licensing/Doc Fee: $452.50
Total Sale Price: $24,840.50

Based on these numbers, with $1,000 down which includes your first month's payment we have payment options of:

48 months at: $337.16
36 months at: $411.41
24 months at: $548.71

# 2

* New 2015 Leaf SL

MSRP: $36,495

Your price: $22,021 Net Value After Tax Credit $7,500, Magic Discount $1,974, and Rebate $5,000

They've set the residual way too low, as is being done with the 2016. That is why the payments are so high. Negotiate a higher residual - a 2015 SL should hold value much more than a 2011 SV. Those payments should be at least $100 lower, IMO. You might as well put a bit more down on a 2016, and get the higher range, at those rates.

LeftieBiker said:
They've set the residual way too low, as is being done with the 2016. That is why the payments are so high. Negotiate a higher residual - a 2015 SL should hold value much more than a 2011 SV. Those payments should be at least $100 lower, IMO. You might as well put a bit more down on a 2016, and get the higher range, at those rates.
I would argue that residuals will be worse for 2015 LEAF than 2011. Back in 2011 they had no idea what it would be worth. If it hadn't been for battery degradation, maybe the LEAF would have decent resale value. Nothing has shown up on the market through the 2015 model year that was significantly better than the 2011 LEAF.

On the other hand, over the next couple of years dramatic improvement and competition is showing up in the EV space. The 2016 LEAF for the first time significantly increases range by 25%. But thats only the beginning. The real change is the wave of 200 mile cars coming within 3 years for sure. Those include the Chevy Bolt, 200 mile Nissan LEAF and Tesla Model 3. Who would want what used to be a $34,000 car that can only go 86 miles not counting major degradation when brand new 200 mile range cars are available for the same price.

I think that residual values depend more on the car keeping its value-as-sold than on what you can get later on for more money. Few people want a car with a range of 40 miles, but 75 miles works for a lot of us.

mtndrvr said:
I bought instead of leasing due to living far from a dealer. Should have leased. In CO, one can buy a new 2015 S for less than the remainder on the loan for my 2013. A friend is in the process of buying one for $11k with 0%.

Yes, two friends have now bought 2015 S for less than $11k after federal and state credits. They also got 0% for 60 months. Boulder Nissan, ask for Nigel.

There seem to be a number of "post the deal you got" threads, but I'll join in the fun here. I picked up a 2015 SV with the premium package (no quick charge) this past Saturday. The lease ended up costing $249/month for 36 months, 12,000 miles, with $1999 down (total of $5511.71 due at signing with all fees and taxes up front).

Gross cap cost: $33,740.35
Net cap cost: $19,754.56
Residual: $10,823.65

I had been looking at the 2016 SL because more gadgets is more better, but after considering the price and total lack of availability in my area (Long Island NY), I talked myself into taking the 2015 SV that was sitting in the showroom. The dealership really wanted to get rid of it.. not just that one but a couple of others I talked to were fairly up front about the fact that these cars don't sell, they consider them a pain and a considerable expense to have sitting around, and they have no intention of keeping any more in stock. Of course, when you do the math I'm basically paying $14,000 to rent this car for three years, so they didn't exactly give it away.

I've only had it two days, but I think it was a good decision. My commute is 2 miles to the train station and we are surrounded by all the stores in the world. It's actually hard to come up with anywhere to go that wouldn't be easily within range, and we're keeping our Prius around for longer trips. I've only driven on a few errands so far and I'm pretty sure I'm hooked on having an electric vehicle already, and will almost certainly not be replacing this with an ICE in three years. I look forward to where the technology will be in 2019.

I am getting a 2015 Leaf SV + QC for either $222 per month for 36 months with $0 down (no 1st month payment) or $159 per month for 48 months with $0 down (no 1st month payment). The way the dealer explained to me, it is cheaper to take the 48 month lease (total cost $7858 including disposition fee) vs 36 month lease (total cost $8184 including disposition fee). He also said, if I want at the end of the 36 months, I can turn the car in and come out ahead even after paying the full 4 year term.

Any catches in this logic? First time leasing a car to not sure how to think about this - any help will be much appreciated.

r9973 said:
I am getting a 2015 Leaf SV + QC for either $222 per month for 36 months with $0 down (no 1st month payment) or $159 per month for 48 months with $0 down (no 1st month payment). The way the dealer explained to me, it is cheaper to take the 48 month lease (total cost $7858 including disposition fee) vs 36 month lease (total cost $8184 including disposition fee). He also said, if I want at the end of the 36 months, I can turn the car in and come out ahead even after paying the full 4 year term.

Any catches in this logic? First time leasing a car to not sure how to think about this - any help will be much appreciated.

Ask the dealer these 6 questions for each lease offer and post replies.

MSRP
CAP COST
RESIDUAL
MONEY FACTOR
Acquisition fee
Disposition fee

Flyct said:
r9973 said:

Ask the dealer these 6 questions for each lease offer and post replies.

MSRP
CAP COST
RESIDUAL
MONEY FACTOR
Acquisition fee
Disposition fee

For 36 months, $0 down with 35 payments @ $222.57 per month - SV + QC

MSRP $35,155
CAP COST - Gross $28,756, Cost Reduction $9,877.43, Adjusted $18,878.57
RESIDUAL - 31% $10,898.05
MONEY FACTOR - .00003
Acquisition fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

For 48 months, $0 down with 47 payments @ $149.76

MSRP $35,155
CAP COST - Gross $28,756, Cost Reduction $9,950.24, Adjusted $18,805.76
Residual - 35% $12,304.25
Money Factor - .00046
Acquisition Fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

Both are 12k miles per year with a end of lease buy @ the residual value + $300.

I am also aware that any repairs and / or tire wear, etc. after the 3 years will be my liability as the bumper to bumper will have expired.

r9973 said:

MSRP $35,155
MONEY FACTOR - .00003
Acquisition fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

MSRP $35,155
Money Factor - .00046
Acquisition Fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

Both are 12k miles per year with a end of lease buy @ the residual value + $300.

I am also aware that any repairs and / or tire wear, etc. after the 3 years will be my liability as the bumper to bumper will have expired.
Those residuals don't make sense.

That means that they expect the car after 3 years to be worth $10898 then go UP in value in the 4th year of the lease and increase its residual to $12304

The whole leasing business is such funny money. Crazy to see prices do such wild fluctuations.

My assumption is that they've miscalculated something in your lease as it is much lower than others I've seen.

dm33 said:
r9973 said:

MSRP $35,155
MONEY FACTOR - .00003
Acquisition fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

MSRP $35,155
Money Factor - .00046
Acquisition Fee - $595
Disposition fee - $395

Those residuals don't make sense.

That means that they expect the car after 3 years to be worth $10898 then go UP in value in the 4th year of the lease and increase its residual to $12304

The whole leasing business is such funny money. Crazy to see prices do such wild fluctuations.

My assumption is that they've miscalculated something in your lease as it is much lower than others I've seen.

Agree - I am scratching my head as well on the residuals. Taking the 48 month deal as that makes more sense - even if i just use it for 36 months and give it back at the end with paying the last 12 months it is still cheaper. Go figure...

I can now see much of the reason for the great deal here: this is a "Base" SV, with no Premium Package. Those are the last ones left, because they are harder to sell and are worth less. Still a great deal if you don't mind not having Around View and the Bose sound system, along with a lower resale value.

LeftieBiker said:
I can now see much of the reason for the great deal here: this is a "Base" SV, with no Premium Package. Those are the last ones left, because they are harder to sell and are worth less. Still a great deal if you don't mind not having Around View and the Bose sound system, along with a lower resale value.

Yes - agreed this is the base SV + QC and couple of other options like cargo mat, etc. No premium package and you are right that they have these left over. Since I am leasing the car, resale value is not an issue as I would just return the car at their high residual value unless Nissan offers a great deal at the end of the lease. We are going to use this as a commuter car and so around view and Bose sound system are not critical for us.

If you take the 4 yr lease it's highly unlikely that you will be able to turn it in anytime before lease end and be ahead. The residual after 48 months being $12,300 is high. After 3 yrs with the 4 yr lease offer the buyout will be about $15,000.

The 3 year lease offers more flexibility. Both deals are similar initially with adjusted cap cost at a good price in the $18.8k range. The interest rate (money factor) is much better in the 3 yr deal. If you would consider buying it at the end of the lease the 3 year residual is much better.

If you're just interested in "how much a month" and would think you would walk away after lease expiration then the 4 yr deal is the best deal.

They both look like good deals.

Flyct said:
If you take the 4 yr lease it's highly unlikely that you will be able to turn it in anytime before lease end and be ahead. The residual after 48 months being $12,300 is high. After 3 yrs with the 4 yr lease offer the buyout will be about $15,000.

The 3 year lease offers more flexibility. Both deals are similar initially with adjusted cap cost at a good price in the $18.8k range. The interest rate (money factor) is much better in the 3 yr deal. If you would consider buying it at the end of the lease the 3 year residual is much better.

If you're just interested in "how much a month" and would think you would walk away after lease expiration then the 4 yr deal is the best deal.

Thank you both of you - Flyct and LeftieBiker :) your help is much appreciated (first time lease on my end..)

I will walk away at the end of the 4 year term and look for another EV with a longer range so that we can get rid of our family gas guzzler van as by that time kids would have grown up. Hence will be doing the 4 year deal.

r9973 said:
Flyct said:

Thank you both of you - Flyct and LeftieBiker :) your help is much appreciated (first time lease on my end..)

I will walk away at the end of the 4 year term and look for another EV with a longer range so that we can get rid of our family gas guzzler van as by that time kids would have grown up. Hence will be doing the 4 year deal.

So they delivered the car today at home, one of the perks of the dealership... found that the back bumper was scratched and got commitment to get it fixed by the dealership. The delivery person mentioned that they will pickup and drop off a loaner for the period we get it fixed - assuming this is ok or would I run into any issues with Nissan? The damage seems minor, like someone scraped the bumper side to a wall/pillar and scratched the paint.

Thought I'd toss in my experience here.

$20,613.67 was my out the door price on my 2015 Leaf S w/Charging package

Picked it up at Modern Infiniti of Winston Salem (North Carolina).

My loan was a bit higher because I needed to roll in the remainder of my Infiniti Q60S lease into it. But even taking the hit there I'm still coming out ahead. Since I had an existing NMAC lease I was preapproved for the 0% for 72 month financing. I will be able to take full advantage of the Federal Tax Credit so my net price on a brand new Leaf was $13,113.67.

So far I'm loving the Leaf and can't wait for my Level 2 charger (JuiceBox Pro) to be installed sometime in the next week :)

Using TrueCar the find the dealerships with the best discounts is a great way to narrow down your search. Just be sure to search for teh 2015 Leaf. There are a lot of east coast dealerships that will let a 2015 Leaf S w/Charging Package for 20k.

Back