Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Nissan is seeing significant sales pressure with EV's so corporate is giving out some smokin' kickbacks to some dealers.

You just need to find out which dealers are getting the corporate incentives, which on top of the fed tax credit (which on a lease kicks back to the dealer) allows for a smoking good lease deal.

The problem with being first to market with emerging technology is that the emergent product will always be quickly eclipsed (as long as the new product/technology is demanded), so this is Nissan's return fire volley in the EV sales competition.

Of course, it may be that ALL Nissan dealers are getting the corporate incentive, but some dealers are trying to not let the customers know so the dealer makes a KILLER profit.

Buyer beware, and be sure to check with Consumer Reports for just exactly what corporate kickbacks dealers are getting.

You've got PM, Rick. That is a great deal.

I'm working with a WA dealership who originally advertised $180/mo, $1,500 down, 24 months for an SV, and now wants $290 for a 0 down SL (they only have SLs in stock, as do most WA dealers at the moment).

I'm balking at some junk fees and trying to assess what's realistic before pulling the trigger.

Any other recent WA data points, or related feedback, is most appreciated! TIA.

rickgriffith said:
I think that I got a pretty good deal on my new Leaf.

2012 Leaf SL - Glacier Pearl
24 Month Lease
12K Miles/Year

$180/Month (23 payments)
$0/Down

Sales tax exemption in WA state

I should be able to make the lease payment with the gas savings alone.

DaveHanson said:
I'm working with a WA dealership who originally advertised $180/mo, $1,500 down, 24 months for an SV, and now wants $290 for a 0 down SL (they only have SLs in stock, as do most WA dealers at the moment).
Well ... $1,500 / 24 = $62.50. $180 + $62.50 = $ 242.50. And the remaining $47.50 is probably a ($47.50 * 24 ) = $1,140 price differential for the SL. Not bad really :)

dcxplant said:
Buyer beware, and be sure to check with Consumer Reports for just exactly what corporate kickbacks dealers are getting.

Exactly how does one do this, please?

I've got an online sub to consumerreports.org , but I'm guessing one needs to pony up for the separate pricing service to get this information?

Thanks for the reply, LEAFer.

I agree with you that the SL quote isn't too out of line with the SV quote, but neither comes remotely close to the above deal...moreover, I've got "junk fees" like a $150 "documentary fee", and a $395 "disposition fee".

I've always paid cash for used cars before, so I'm new to this particular game. Have no problem with the dealer making a reasonable markup based on their cost--that's only fair. Just want to avoid being taken by the usual dealer shenanigans. :)

DaveHanson said:
Thanks for the reply, LEAFer.

I agree with you that the SL quote isn't too out of line with the SV quote, but neither comes remotely close to the above deal...moreover, I've got "junk fees" like a $150 "documentary fee", and a $395 "disposition fee".

I've always paid cash for used cars before, so I'm new to this particular game. Have no problem with the dealer making a reasonable markup based on their cost--that's only fair. Just want to avoid being taken by the usual dealer shenanigans. :)
The $395 disposition fee is (unfortunately) quite common practice and nearly unavoidable (unless you buy it at the end of the lease). The $150 is too high, $30-$50 would sound more appropriate. Also watch out for the MoneyFactor and the residual.

LEAFer said:
The $395 disposition fee is (unfortunately) quite common practice and nearly unavoidable (unless you buy it at the end of the lease). The $150 is too high, $30-$50 would sound more appropriate. Also watch out for the MoneyFactor and the residual.

Thanks LEAFer. The money factor is the now widely available (and amazing) .000003. Residual of 55%.

hi forum members,
i am located in Southern California and looking to lease a Leaf. come across this forum while my searching for Leaf info.

Saw on performance nissan web site on $2K down, then $219 month (exclude tax/license..fee) 36 months (but it didnt specify mileage)
I just start emailing for quote and would like to get more info on what should be the recent going rate in S. Cal.

Anyone has recently leasing a Leaf in Los Angeles area and share with terms/price?
i am looking at 36 months, 2012 SL (or SV), 12,000 miles. what should be a good starting point?

Thanks!

-Des

desmondC said:
hi forum members,
i am located in Southern California and looking to lease a Leaf. come across this forum while my searching for Leaf info.

Saw on performance nissan web site on $2K down, then $219 month (exclude tax/license..fee) 36 months (but it didnt specify mileage)
I just start emailing for quote and would like to get more info on what should be the recent going rate in S. Cal.

Anyone has recently leasing a Leaf in Los Angeles area and share with terms/price?
i am looking at 36 months, 2012 SL (or SV), 12,000 miles. what should be a good starting point?

Thanks!

-Des

That's a good starting point. I suggest you try a couple of dealerships around the area and see if they can beat that. Check out the Nissan Leaf Leasing Information thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1067 and pay particular attention to the leases in S. Cal. Also make sure you get a 36 month lease and not a 24 month. The $2500 California rebate is only good for purchases or leases 3 years or longer. The only difficulty might be the low inventory now that the 2013 is just around the corner.

BTW, Performance Nissan is the dealership where I got my lease back in November 2012. A few others tried to get the same lease offer but they refused so I don't even give out the deal I got. It doesn't help.

Correct me if I am wrong. But, if you lease for 3 years you can also get a free charger from companies in California...maybe elsewhere. This is what I remember.

Hi All,

I'm new here.
First, thanks everyone here for all the good info regarding EV and Leaf.
I'm planning to pull the trigger on buying a 2013 Leaf S as soon as they're available. Hopefully soon!

Question - For a new release car like the 2013 leaf, should I expect to pay MSRP? Under MSRP? Over MSRP?
Just want to line my ducks up before hitting the showroom. It's been over 10 years since I bought a new car.
I'm located in SF Bay Area, peninsula.

Thanks.
-locman

LEAFfan said:
If I were you, I would lease, not buy.

For me it's an easy decision to buy, since my employer give me $3k for buying an EV.
28.8k - 7.5k federal - 2.5k state - 3k employer = $15.8k for a new Leaf
What a deal! I thought.

So you don't plan to get the DC Quick Charge port, faster charger, and RearView Monitor, and won't miss the Heat Pump, Cruise Control, Navigation, or CarWings? I'm not saying you are wrong; just making sure you've thought about those things.

Also, I trust you understand you are still going to have to finance or pay out of pocket about $30K. Your $3K will pay tax & license. The $7.5K and $2.5K will come later, not as part of the purchase deal.

Ray

planet4ever said:
So you don't plan to get the DC Quick Charge port, faster charger, and RearView Monitor, and won't miss the Heat Pump, Cruise Control, Navigation, or CarWings? I'm not saying you are wrong; just making sure you've thought about those things.

Also, I trust you understand you are still going to have to finance or pay out of pocket about $30K. Your $3K will pay tax & license. The $7.5K and $2.5K will come later, not as part of the purchase deal.

Ray

Thanks Ray for the reminders. But no, I don't need those features. The only thing is the faster charger, and even that is only a "nice to have" feature for me(yes, i thought about it based on distance, time, driving habit, schedule, etc.)
Finance wise, yep I know that part and I'm ok with it.

I'm just not sure of the expected purchase price of the new leaf, hence my original question.

-locman

iamwjh said:
I would lease 2012 SL.
Just saying...
planet4ever pretty much covered all the reasons why.
Why '12?
locman said:
planet4ever said:

Ray

Thanks Ray for the reminders. But no, I don't need those features. The only thing is the faster charger, and even that is only a "nice to have" feature for me(yes, i thought about it based on distance, time, driving habit, schedule, etc.)
Finance wise, yep I know that part and I'm ok with it.

I'm just not sure of the expected purchase price of the new leaf, hence my original question.
I wouldn't buy a car w/o cruise control in this day and age. Do you realize what the DC quick charge port is for and how much faster L2 charging can be w/a 6.6 kW charger? Do you realize that the non-heat pump heater uses a lot of power and will cut down on your range considerably when it's on?

locman said:
Hi All,

I'm new here.
First, thanks everyone here for all the good info regarding EV and Leaf.
I'm planning to pull the trigger on buying a 2013 Leaf S as soon as they're available. Hopefully soon!

Question - For a new release car like the 2013 leaf, should I expect to pay MSRP? Under MSRP? Over MSRP?
Just want to line my ducks up before hitting the showroom. It's been over 10 years since I bought a new car.
I'm located in SF Bay Area, peninsula.

Thanks.
-locman

Logan;

Lease the car and the $7500 will be applied as part of your down payment. Make a lease payment and then come to dealer and have lease redone as a purchase. This way, you get the full 7500 without worrying about you tax at the end of the year, and now you will be financing purchase and not leasing.

Good luck,

Ian B

more bang for the buck with the lease of '12.

Accounting for Dealers incentives on the lease with tax credits applied to the base. More options on the MY'12 than the MY'13.
Leasing can get you through a few more yrs of technological improvements and ready for the '16 models.

Purchasing a '13, the tax credits will not be realized until Q2 of '14. That is an "investment" in the USG promise. Whatever that is worth.

iamwjh said:
Purchasing a '13, the tax credits will not be realized until Q2 of '14. That is an "investment" in the USG promise. Whatever that is worth.
Actually, you can adjust your tax withholding now so that you realize the tax credit one paycheck at a time instead of waiting till 2Q14. And the $2500 comes in just a few weeks (of course that applies to a lease or puchase.) Anyway, the guy said he only gets $3k from his employer if he purchases, so why keep discussing the lease thing? Does no one have any insight on how actual dealer pricing for the 2013s compares to Nissan's published MSRPs?

Back