Leaf s --- but still no very low battery warning.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronmamacleaf

Just curious if the very low ever comes on after the ---. Only get low battery still. And what's my expected range with

Low battery
Very low batter
Turtle mode.

I know it ranges on conditions and how you drive.

Tried to search and there were no clear answers. Please help

Ronmamacleaf said:
Just curious if the very low ever comes on after the ---. Only get low battery still. And what's my expected range with

Low battery
Very low batter
Turtle mode.

The bolded part is why there isn't a good "safe" answer.

See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=387707#p387707 and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=334607#p334607. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14965 was the result of someone's test.

From the range chart at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293, you'd have somewhere between 16 and 6 miles between LBW and VLBW, depending on the efficiency you drove at (from 6.3 miles/kWh down to 3.0 miles/kWh).

You can use something like Leaf Spy (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285) and a compatible OBD2 dongle to get battery gids. You'd want to get the free lite version at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14284 to make suer your setup works first. There is also an iOS version and some other similar apps.

Ronmamacleaf said:

Low battery
Very low batter
Turtle mode.

If you are seeing three dashes ( --- ) instead of numbers in the display Nissan calls the Distance To Empty (DTE) and we call the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) because of its inaccuracy, then you are already in Very Low Battery Warning (VLBW). Low Battery Warning (LBW) occurs when the DTE or GOM numbers first start to flash. Power limited (Turtle) mode is denoted by a light in the dash that looks like a turtle and single circles on the right side of the power/regeneration display. Distances in each mode can vary greatly. With my 2011, I typically got 7 or 8 miles between LBW and VLBW, 5 to 7 miles in VLBW, and one or two blocks in Turtle (certainly less than 1/4 mile). These distances were pretty consistent even with battery deterioration after the P3227 software update and remained consistent with the new battery. There is a lot more variation with my 2015: 3 to 7 miles between LBW and VLBW, 7 to 14 miles in VLBW, and as much as 3/4 mile in Turtle.

As others have noted, Leaf Spy Pro provides a lot of information and allows you to see remaining charge after Nissan gives the --- VLBW display. I would have been concerned the second day driving the 2015 (still on the initial charge from the dealer) when the GOM started flashing with 17 or 18 miles showing (LBW) and the --- display (VLBW) came only 3 or 4 miles later when I was still 10 miles from home. I could see remaining charge and cell voltages with Leaf Spy (with continuous overall voltage display on my Gidmeter which was also connected) so I knew I could make it home.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
...There is a lot more variation with my 2015: 3 to 7 miles between LBW and VLBW, 7 to 14 miles in VLBW, and as much as 3/4 mile in Turtle...
How interesting. Do the LBW and VLBW still happen at 49 and 24 Gids in the 2015 or have those values changed?

dgpcolorado said:
GerryAZ said:
...There is a lot more variation with my 2015: 3 to 7 miles between LBW and VLBW, 7 to 14 miles in VLBW, and as much as 3/4 mile in Turtle...
How interesting. Do the LBW and VLBW still happen at 49 and 24 Gids in the 2015 or have those values changed?

LBW and VLBW still happen at 49 and 24 so the "Gids" are not linear. Also, there are 2 or 3 SOC bars still lit when LBW happens and at least 1 bar left at VLBW. Turtle still happens at 7 or 8 Gids and Shutdown still happens at 3 or 4. There were generally 292 Gids at full charge when new (saw 293 once this spring, but dropped to 292 within a few seconds after startup completed). A combination of extremely high temperatures the last couple weeks and over 10,000 miles has caused a little variation in the full-charge Gid readings. They now vary between 289 and 292 so it will be interesting to see if consistent 292s return after temperatures cool off this fall.

You would really like B mode for regeneration and single-pedal driving in the mountains. I get 30 kW regeneration (based on pie chart on NAV screen) by just taking my foot off the accelerator at highway speed even with battery at 90% SOC.

Gerry

I think one confusing part about the S trim is that unlike the SV and SL, AFAIK, it has no audible voice warning of LBW and VLBW. That voice comes from the nav unit, which the S doesn't have.

The warning lights and dash changes happen. I'm not sure if the S also emits a not very loud beep upon reaching each stage.

GerryAZ said:
...You would really like B mode for regeneration and single-pedal driving in the mountains. I get 30 kW regeneration (based on pie chart on NAV screen) by just taking my foot off the accelerator at highway speed even with battery at 90% SOC.

Gerry
Yes, I sure would like more regen. I don't get anything like 30 kW even at lower SOC levels and when my battery gets below about 12ºC in winter I lose much of what little regen I do have. More regen plus a faster OBC are the two things I would most like to have from the 2015 LEAF. Other than that, I am quite happy with my car, thanks to having LeafDD to let me comfortably use the lower third of the battery without the slightest "range anxiety".

cwerdna said:
I think one confusing part about the S trim is that unlike the SV and SL, AFAIK, it has no audible voice warning of LBW and VLBW. That voice comes from the nav unit, which the S doesn't have.

The warning lights and dash changes happen. I'm not sure if the S also emits a not very loud beep upon reaching each stage.

My 2013 Leaf S emits a not very loud beep upon reaching LBW ( happens at 19% ) and another not very loud beep upon reaching
VLBW ( can't remember at what percent ) and if I recall, another beep at TURTLE mode.

Ronmamacleaf said:
what's my expected range with

Low battery
Very low battery
Turtle mode.
Based on a 2013 LEAF SL with about 3,000 miles on it at the time, this is my experience:

7.7 miles from Low Battery Warning to Very Low Battery Warning
5.8 miles from Very Low Battery Warning to Turtle Mode
.7 miles from Turtle Mode to vehicle stopped

The Very Low Battery Warning illuminated 1.2 miles after the --- indication.

These numbers were achieved driving very aggressively, so I expect many will achieve higher numbers.

For a more detailed evaluation of my experience, you can find it here.

Back