Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlaw99 said:
I got the message about Carwings, checked my dashboard and I now show estimated delivery of 4/21 !! (prior est. was May) My AV install is scheduled for 4/15... Anyone else in Texas get moved up?
Got email today from Nissan, " Nissan LEAF: Welcome". Check my dashboard and it sez "estimated delivery: week of April 21, 2011". Woot!

aqn said:
jlaw99 said:
I got the message about Carwings, checked my dashboard and I now show estimated delivery of 4/21 !! (prior est. was May) My AV install is scheduled for 4/15... Anyone else in Texas get moved up?
Got email today from Nissan, " Nissan LEAF: Welcome". Check my dashboard and it sez "estimated delivery: week of April 21, 2011". Woot!

Way to go Andy! If we can get a QC Station on I35 halfway from San Antonio to Austin it would be fun to take the Leaf on a road trip (my sis lives in Austin) sometime.

kundun said:
Really excited it arrived at Gillman Nissan (Rosenberg, near Houston) a week early. We're picking up tomorrow.

Congrats! You are going to love it! I was down at Gillman Tues night charging up. Beautiful dealership and even better people. A real quality operation. Tell Pete Harvey (GM) that Jimmy says Hi. I'll be looking for you on CARWINGS.

aqn said:
Congrats Andy!

jlaw99 said:
If we can get a QC Station on I35 halfway from San Antonio to Austin it would be fun to take the Leaf on a road trip (my sis lives in Austin) sometime.
Should be doable on a fresh charge with a new pack without L3. I'll let you know for sure in May - I'm still planning to drive home from Grapevine. :D

Again congrat to all of you in TX. Looks like there will be so many Leaf(s) delivered soon. So bad that I am across Red River not even chance for reservation for another year or so.

jlaw99 said:

OK, I'm just a tad envious since my "Month of May" went back(wards) to "pending" this morning - like several others in the May...May(be) thread have also noted. And I'm back to that "checking Nissan login twice a day mode" again..... :(

Here's my theory: Oct./Nov. orders went through production and then got put on the Andromeda Spirit, which had to go to Canada first, so we have a delay. Later orders went through production after ours, but their ships came straight to Long Beach, so their Carwings have opened up.

All the cars will get here soon enough, and it's nothing like what Japan is facing. I'm still very concerned for the people of Japan.

But: jlaw99: if I do have a significant delay in delivery, you're going to have to let me see your car after it gets here!!

ecoobsessive said:
OK, I'm just a tad envious since my "Month of May" went back(wards) to "pending" this morning
Do not be even "tad envious", you will get your Leaf way before me, I won't be able reserve mine in 2011
Richard

I got bumped from May to Pending as well - not that surprised considering the January order.

Martha - welcome back to Penduary (sorry). We'll gang-up on jlaw99 - he won't see us until its too late. :D

EdmondLeaf - come on across the river and get a post office box. :)

Is anyone leasing their Leaf ?

I got the rundown from the dealer, and Texas is the absolute worst state to lease a car.

You end up paying 100% of the sales tax in the lease, with zero credit for that at the end. You may even need to pay the sales tax again if you opt to purchase at the end.

I am calculating that even with the assumption that the Leaf will retain 39% of its value at 3 years (a very pessimistic number), the cost would be less to purchase vs leasing with a 45% residual on the lease.

Anyone have an argument in favor of leasing?

My reason for leasing is the tax credit. I make less than $50,000 a year and if I purchased I would probably be able to maybe $1000 out of the $7500 credit. Between regular deductions and credits for college tuition if I had purchased last year I would have gotten back $0 Dollars in tax credits LOL. I can see if your someone who makes "a good amount" of money and has to pay the government over $7500 in taxes after your deductions, a purchase would work for you. As a side note, I got the call, and pick up is this evening from 6-8 it will probably be shorter, service is closed, and financing complete.

AndyH said:
I got bumped from May to Pending as well - not that surprised considering the January order.
Martha - welcome back to Penduary (sorry). We'll gang-up on jlaw99 - he won't see us until its too late. :D
EdmondLeaf - come on across the river and get a post office box. :)
Andy, Martha,
Sorry about your Pending again, after all I think your situation is worst than mine. I know exactly where I am standing, and as of right now I just have dream, that one day I will drive EV. For you one day you nearly have a car, next day just hope that you will have car soon. I believe 600 more Leaf on the way to US so lets keep fingers crossed that yours are there. We trying hard to push our home south of Red river. We partially successful to move to TX, won Dallas part of "why I deserve to win a Nissan LEAF" competition https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/Winners.aspx and will be getting Trek Belleville soon.
Richard

shawnbrig said:
My reason for leasing is the tax credit. I make less than $50,000 a year and if I purchased I would probably be able to maybe $1000 out of the $7500 credit. Between regular deductions and credits for college tuition if I had purchased last year I would have gotten back $0 Dollars in tax credits LOL. I can see if your someone who makes "a good amount" of money and has to pay the government over $7500 in taxes after your deductions, a purchase would work for you. As a side note, I got the call, and pick up is this evening from 6-8 it will probably be shorter, service is closed, and financing complete.

I wasn't sure about this, so I looked at the actual IRS instructions.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf
and also http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

It looks like you need to have a net tax liability of $7500, after any 'Personal Credits' (i.e. Foreign tax credit, Credit for child care expenses, education credits, or Retirement savings credits), to use up all of the EV Vehicle credit.

So if you only are paying $1000 in taxes for the year, you only get $1000 in credit. This is the actual tax, not how much left owing after withholding. If you have paid over $7500 in federal income tax, you get the full amount credited.

So indeed, if you have lower income or have a lot of education, child care, or retirement savings credits, you may be better off leasing to get the full benefit.

It's too bad that Texas has the double tax on the leases. Just about every other state has a better deal.

Picked it up this afternoon. Dealership was super nice, attentive and tried to answer any questions. Haven't had the time to really play with the features (bluetooth, carwings, gps, etc.) but really excited and happy. Will post updates.

kundun said:
Picked it up this afternoon. Dealership was super nice, attentive and tried to answer any questions. Haven't had the time to really play with the features (bluetooth, carwings, gps, etc.) but really excited and happy. Will post updates.

Congrats Kundun! Keep us posted. How long ago did you get the '7 day email' telling you that the car would be at the dealer soon?

Nissan's email was three days before the car arrived at the dealership (18th) but salesperson informed me a couple of days earlier. 30 days earlier the dealer had provided the ETA. Dealer needed one day for preparation so we took delivery on the 19th.

kundun said:
Nissan's email was three days before the car arrived at the dealership (18th) but salesperson informed me a couple of days earlier. 30 days earlier the dealer had provided the ETA. Dealer needed one day for preparation so we took delivery on the 19th.
enjoy your Leaf and show that EV is everyday car a and can be for everyone

Picked up leaf yesterday at full charge, LOL I can't believe I am even writing this next statement but I think its funny and can be a great learning experience. I RAN OUT OF ELECTRICITY last night because I decided to stop at jack in the box (out of the way), and I knew I had food at home. I saw that it said 5 miles then 3 miles maybe because I was not driving I didn't think that information was meant for me. If I had not gone to jack in the box I would have made it home. I ran out about three blocks from my house. I pushed it the three blocks home with my friend inside steering. The car feels really light. I got about 77 miles, which was really good considering what we put the car through. Most of the time was spent on the freeway, with A/C on, On the way I was driving at about 70 mph, I was cutting down trees not growing them. I was not driving on the way home but a lot of the way was 70+ mph, when I saw 80 turn to 81, I gave a little lecture and the speed came down. Thank goodness it was around 3:30 Am and there were no cars on the road in the neighborhood, literally not one car passed. The time it took me to push the car three blocks was short. My leaf is on the charger now, and I know I will have to do much better than this. Side note turtle mode was at about 24 mph and it really last just enough time for you to get off the road I figure about a block or block and a half. Congratulations to me for running out of electricity not only on the first day, but in the first 8 hours of owning the vehicle. Yeah Gooooo Me!

bluemoose said:
I was down at Gillman Tues night charging up.
bluemoose,
I do not think is here so can you please give us more details about your trip to CC.

kundun,
From what you reported you may not need to charge your Leaf ever, great to see range increasing? .

shawnbrig,
always remember to take battery with you

jhm614,
Any news?

Richard

Back