Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ml194152 said:
The guide light 20a GFI $30

Its on Amazon now for $25.82 and free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T7591-PEV-Receptacle-Controlled-Evr-Green/dp/B004G6YEVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546178&sr=8-1

That's only for an EVSE L1 not the EVR-GREEN 160 L2 EVSE.

However, using a GFI socket with a standard sensitivity (about 5 ma) "trip" setting is not really recommended by some EVSE OEMs.

I find it strange that Leviton would suggest use of a socket with this GFI setting. Maybe their L1 EVSE is "better" than most, but I think it would be the vehicle, not the EVSE, that would "cause" the trip-condition.

The problem is that a "trip" in the wall socket GFI (or circuit breaker) would stop your car's charging, and have to be manually reset before charging could continue.

I do not understand why some EVSE manufacturers and/or suppliers are so concerned about GFCI circuits. There is no legitimate reason to have leakage current to ground in the EVSE, its cable, or the charger in the car which exceeds the threshold of a GFCI outlet or GFCI branch circuit breaker. Since Leviton is a well-known electrical equipment supplier, they likely understand that and have no problem recommending GFCI protection. Another fact that seems to be overlooked by those other EVSE manufacturers is the requirement in current electrical codes for all outdoor and garage 15- and 20-ampere receptacles (both 120- and 240-volt) to be GFCI protected.

If you need the light, the Leviton lighted GFCI receptacle is probably a quality product, but it is certainly not required. I look forward to purchasing the 16-ampere, 240-volt Leviton EVSE for "portable" use as soon as it becomes available and I get my Leaf.

Gerry

Just chatted with the Leviton site: They expect the EVSE DYI product to be available in mid-May and will price the product at that time! Still lots of questions to be answered and that will be too late for me as my Leaf is sitting in my garage.

ml194152 said:
The guide light 20a GFI $30
Its on Amazon now for $25.82 and free shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T7591-PEV-Receptacle-Controlled-Evr-Green/dp/B004G6YEVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546178&sr=8-1
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=73425#p73425

AndyH said:
awallis said:
I've been checking the websites of major retailers the last week or so to see if the leviton evr-green products were appearing and I finally got something this morning on Amazon. It's not the charger, but it's the first sign that things are happening...

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T7591-PEV-Receptacle-Controlled-Evr-Green/dp/B004G6YEVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300546178&sr=8-1
Thanks awallis - I ordered one from Amazon this evening. Amazon says it won't ship until the first or second week of April.

Amazon cancelled my order...

Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:11 PM

Due to a lack of availability from our suppliers, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

"Leviton T7591-PEV GFCI Receptacle with Sensor Controlled Guide Light For Level 1 Electric Vehicle Charging, White/Evr-Green"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G6YEVK

We've cancelled the item(s) and apologize for the inconvenience.

Note that they apparently use a non-standard plug on the EVSE's power-in pigtail, since the cord exits upward (the ground pin is located near the "neck" of the plug rather than in the "forehead").

Presumably, this EVSE is for INDOOR use only (at least if installed as "plug-in").

The plug is standard NEMA 6-20R available at any hardware store. There is no code requirement for the ground pin to be down. Same with the standard outlets in your home. In fact more builders now install the ground pin up for switched outlets. i believe the cover and plug that opens up is due to the very short cord allowed on a plug in EVSE. If a 3' cord was allowed it would be a non issue. I will probably replace my cord with a 3'er and not use the cover ;)

I believe Leviton recommends hardwire for outdoor installs. Hardwire procedures are shown in the brochure on the website.

smkettner said:
The plug is standard NEMA 6-20R available at any hardware store. There is no code requirement for the ground pin to be down. Same with the standard outlets in your home. In fact more builders now install the ground pin up for switched outlets.

i believe the cover and plug that opens up is due to the very short cord allowed on a plug in EVSE. If a 3' cord was allowed it would be a non issue. I will probably replace my cord with a 3'er and not use the cover ;)
I agree with your first points, but am not clear on why a short cord requires a covered outlet?

In the video the space limitations can be seen that facilitate the cord is best to exit up directly toward the EVSE.

As far as the cover I do not think it is needed. People are just over paranoid about 240v circuits.
The cover would seem to cause a person to hesitate before attempting to plug in a 120v item. And of course a 120v plug will not fit.
I most likely will not have a cover installed or it might be positioned for the extended cord to hang down.

Glenn said:
I agree with your first points, but am not clear on why a short cord requires a covered outlet?
If I remember correctly, Level 2 EVSEs are supposed to be "permanently mounted," so the combination of the wall plate and the securable outlet cover satisfy that requirement...

smkettner said:
In the video the space limitations can be seen that facilitate the cord is best to exit up directly toward the EVSE.

As far as the cover I do not think it is needed. People are just over paranoid about 240v circuits.
The cover would seem to cause a person to hesitate before attempting to plug in a 120v item. And of course a 120v plug will not fit.
I most likely will not have a cover installed or it might be positioned for the extended cord to hang down.
The way their install is done, the cover protects the plug from being bumped around by the charge cable being coiled and uncoiled around it. Also, this configuration makes their whole one-page, single-stud template possible.

I agree! The idea of an install it yourself L2 charger is appealing. For what these units do, the installed units seem to me to be way over priced. But hey!, what do I know?

richard said:
This is a little confusing
Mark Perry says that 2012 LEAFs will have > 3.3kW charging, and that they don't want to "strand" 2011 models, so they will offer an upgrade path for the first year models. That means the only people who will want the 160 would be those who know they will not upgrade their charger (no desire or need), or the extremely budget-conscious.
The 160 model can be useful in situations where it's lower power (current) requirements of 16 Amps / 20 Amp circuit may avoid the need for costly panel or service upgrades that might be needed for some 360 model installations which requires 32 Amps / 40 Amp circuit AND the owner is aware that the 160 model is limited to 3.3 kW charging and will charge other / future vehicles at the 3.3 kW instead of the full 6.6 kW (or more - 14.4 kW / 70 Amp for Tesla) maximum Level 2 AC charge rate of the vehicle.

I'm thinking most electrical inpectors will not accept installing a 360 unit and having it set to the lower current level of the 160 when that would avoid a panel or service upgrade. The 160 can be very handy in these situations.

Some residences in San Francisco have main services that are only 50 Amps!! So the model 160 could easily be the ONLY option in extreme cases like that. Some of the service upgrades might be inepxensive, but in these older San Francisco multiple dwelling buildings, I imagine some service upgrades could exceed $10,000+ in extreme cases.

Note that even the 360 model won't charge a Tesla at the 14.4 kW / 70 Amp rate it's capable of on J1772. The Tesla Model S should be able to use the J1772 14.4 kW / 70 Amp rate, but they don't appear to have finalized the charging specifications yet. Most Tesla owners would probably be happy with 6.6 kW charging at home, with the 14.4 kW being more useful in public charging for longer trips.

So the point is, we have a J1772 charging standard but there are still flavors of it.

If you have a plug InPrius, you really wouldn't ever want anything more than the 3.3 kW model 160 at home, or less..., while for the Volt 3.3 kW would be fine, a few owners might go for 6.6 kW, and for the Tesla Model S, some people who aren't cost sensitive might go for the 14.4 kW.

6.6 kW for a home charger is a nice goal that will work reasonably well for most needs, but it's definitely overkill if you only ever have a Plug In Prius, while if you have a Model S, some frequent long distance drivers may want the 14.4 kW, so even the model 360 at 6.6 kW isn't completely future-proof.

Not to mention the possibility of future EVSE replacements as EVSE costs come down and useful features get added, for example, SMART grid enabled that can reduce the cost of charging by responding to electrical grid conditions and still giving a full charge by the time you need it. In the more distant future, there's Vehicle To Grid - V2G capabilities that may require an EVSE upgrade where the EV provides small amounts of energy to the grid or powers critical loads in your house during a blackout.

I plan to get the Leviton 160. This would seem to always have plenty of power to charge while at home even if the vehicle was capable of faster charging.

If Nissan has a reasonably priced onboard charger upgrade I might still take that option to better utilize opportunity charging while out running around. With more charge on the road the car comes home with more charge and even lowers the need for a home upgrade.

Anyway that is my take on it.

Back