Leviton pre install kit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhik

Is leviton pre install kit really necessary for surface mount charger?

I got all the things from HD. Only mounting bracket is missing. I think charger can be mounted on stud without it.

Thoughts? experience if someone already done it that way?

Thanks

It's covered in the installation instructions. Iirc, the bracket was required for plug-in installation, but you could mount directly to studs if doing it hard-wired.

Nubo said:
It's covered in the installation instructions. Iirc, the bracket was required for plug-in installation, but you could mount directly to studs if doing it hard-wired.

Yeah I read the instructions :shock: I was asking if it is really important to spend $80 for mouting plate.

Was checking if someone installed without it.

I read someplace in their documentation that if you don't use their $80 bracket it will void the warranty of the evse

Lasareath said:
I read someplace in their documentation that if you don't use their $80 bracket it will void the warranty of the evse

If that's true, it's ridiculous; they should have included a "required" part with the unit purchase.
At one point in time (way back), I was 99% sure I'd buy one of these (16A version). After comparing pricing & availability--even second hand--I lost interest until they became discontinued. Of course, it didn't hurt that the Nissan EVSE+upgrade worked flawlessly.

Yes you are right !

The reason I skipped the $80 mounting plate is because it allows removal "without tools" and I did not want my hooligan neighbor kids removing it from the side of my house and taking it away.

In a bizarre statement it was explained to me that if tools were required to remove it, that violated the NEC (National Electric Code) because cord-and-plug devices are only allowed to be "temporary." Another bureaucratic snafu.

You can do it, it works just fine. Even without the "kit" you can bolt it easily to the side of your house with two bolts, without opening the unit which "voids the warranty."

Personally, I did not care to open it and did not have to. However in another bit of commercial ugliness, they provide two tamper-evident seals with the charger:

If an electrician converts the plug-in ("temporary") unit to a permanent, hard-wired unit, he cuts the original seal and opens the box to wire it up. He then snaps on the second seal, which is of a different color, locking you out once again.

My choice was to avoid all this silly nonsense by simply installing an outdoor-rated outlet and plugging it into that, then bolting it to the house.

They leave you with three choices: Breaking the law, losing your warranty, or buying their $80 kit.

I chose the first, it works great and I am very pleased with it. 100% satisfaction so far.

A word to the wise, if you can, install in an area without grass. The lawnmower hit the cord one time and nicked the wire a little bit, even though the cord was hanging up on the (poorly-designed) cord hanger, which is truly minimalist.

Otherwise, a fine product. As an added bonus, it very much resembles a burglar-alarm panel, with green LED shining all night long to ward off would-be attackers. This way, it lends a somewhat theft-deterrent property to the whole house.

:p

todatsu said:
Yes you are right !

The reason I skipped the $80 mounting plate is because it allows removal "without tools" and I did not want my hooligan neighbor kids removing it from the side of my house and taking it away.

In a bizarre statement it was explained to me that if tools were required to remove it, that violated the NEC (National Electric Code) because cord-and-plug devices are only allowed to be "temporary." Another bureaucratic snafu.

You can do it, it works just fine. Even without the "kit" you can bolt it easily to the side of your house with two bolts, without opening the unit which "voids the warranty."

Personally, I did not care to open it and did not have to. However in another bit of commercial ugliness, they provide two tamper-evident seals with the charger:

If an electrician converts the plug-in ("temporary") unit to a permanent, hard-wired unit, he cuts the original seal and opens the box to wire it up. He then snaps on the second seal, which is of a different color, locking you out once again.

My choice was to avoid all this silly nonsense by simply installing an outdoor-rated outlet and plugging it into that, then bolting it to the house.

They leave you with three choices: Breaking the law, losing your warranty, or buying their $80 kit.

I chose the first, it works great and I am very pleased with it. 100% satisfaction so far.

A word to the wise, if you can, install in an area without grass. The lawnmower hit the cord one time and nicked the wire a little bit, even though the cord was hanging up on the (poorly-designed) cord hanger, which is truly minimalist.

Otherwise, a fine product. As an added bonus, it very much resembles a burglar-alarm panel, with green LED shining all night long to ward off would-be attackers. This way, it lends a somewhat theft-deterrent property to the whole house.

:p

Thanks
I'm installing indoor inside my garage so no fear of getting charger stolen.

I'm not sure where the seals are. In the install instructions it listed to open the door to hang the unit.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=EVB40-PST&section=37741&minisite=10251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOTE: The Plug-In Charging Station must be installed with a Leviton Pre-Wire Kit (sold separately). Failure to do so means the station no longer complies with its UL listing. The listing requires the station be removable without tools. Refer to Pre-Wire Kit instructions first if a mounting location has not been established. Ensure that the correct template within the pre-wire kit is used, as several templates are available within the box. For EVB40 installation, ensure that the EVB40-5PT is used for flush mount installation, and the EVB40-SPT is used for surface mounted installation.
1. Install Pre-Wire Kit. For EVB16, use Installation Kit EVK02; for EVB30 and EVB40 use Installation Kit EVK05.
2. Depress release tabs on the bottom of the Charging Station, and remove Charging Station Door by lifting upwards (see Figure 2).
3. Locate the four Mounting Buttons on the back of the Charging Station. Locate the Guide Pin Slot above the Panel Fastener Screw (see Figure 1).
4. Align the Guide Pin Slot with the Guide Pin on the Mounting Bracket, and the four Mounting Buttons with the four keyholes on the Mounting Bracket.
5. Once aligned, gently press the Charging Station onto the Mounting Bracket.
6. Allow the Charging Station to slowly slide down into place. Ensure all four Mounting Buttons are secured in each keyhole on the Mounting Bracket before releasing the Charging Station.
7. Tighten the Panel Fastener Screw to secure the Charging Station to the Mounting Bracket (see Figure 2).
Proceed to POWER CHARGING STATION section.

When I ordered my unit (the 30A one) from Home Depot online, the pre-wire kit came with it for free. I only used the bracket, since the unit is hard wired, although I kept the plug in cord and other goodies in the pre-wire box... didn't bother putting the second (blue) tag on the unit. Guess my warranty is void? The unit has been 100% reliable.
All outdoor units should be hardwired to meet code so there's technically no "snafu" about being easy to remove.

aEHriFll.jpg

abhik said:
Nubo said:

Yeah I read the instructions :shock: I was asking if it is really important to spend $80 for mouting plate.

It's a personal choice. My personal perspective is that I don't know more than the NEC, UL, and the manufacturer. And so it's not worth it to me to disregard the instructions and electrical codes just to save 80 bucks on the EVSE to charge my $34,000 car in the garage of my $xxx,xxx house where live people who are priceless to me.

Nubo said:
abhik said:
Nubo said:

It's a personal choice. My personal perspective is that I don't know more than the NEC, UL, and the manufacturer. And so it's not worth it to me to disregard the instructions and electrical codes just to save 80 bucks on the EVSE to charge my $34,000 car in the garage of my $xxx,xxx house where live people who are priceless to me.

Mounting plate has nothing to do with NEC and electrical code :shock:

abhik said:

Whatever :shock: . I was speaking in a more general sense, as I regularly see posts from people who for some reason are determined to bypass recommendations, whether from NEC, local codes, permit requirements, UL, manufacturer, you name it. Now, if you personally are knowledgeable in the field and trust your own judgement on what things are ok to ignore or defy, that's fine and your own personal decision. It does beg the question of why are you are asking for advice. Or that you're concerned about whether other people have done it. What does that matter? It's obvious it CAN be done, from the installation instructions themselves, which you have read, which show HOW to do it. :shock: . The question is whether it should be done. Am I going to void the UL certification on a high-power electrical component in my home? No. Imho, if you can't answer that question for yourself, you shouldn't be doing it. Nothing personal, just my opinion since you asked.

Nubo said:
abhik said:

Whatever :shock: . I was speaking in a more general sense, as I regularly see posts from people who for some reason are determined to bypass recommendations, whether from NEC, local codes, permit requirements, UL, manufacturer, you name it. Now, if you personally are knowledgeable in the field and trust your own judgement on what things are ok to ignore or defy, that's fine and your own personal decision. It does beg the question of why are you are asking for advice. Or that you're concerned about whether other people have done it. What does that matter? It's obvious it CAN be done, from the installation instructions themselves, which you have read, which show HOW to do it. :shock: . The question is whether it should be done. Am I going to void the UL certification on a high-power electrical component in my home? No. Imho, if you can't answer that question for yourself, you shouldn't be doing it. Nothing personal, just my opinion since you asked.

fair enough,

like the other people said mounting bracket should be supplied with the surface mount charger. Hard wired can be mounted without it.

I was trying to understand how it invalidate the UL certification and warranty if you don't use their plate? and how many people done without it.

Doesn't make sense for me to spend $80 bucks. I got 6-50R for $9 bucks and 2 gang box for $3.16.

One thing I don't get it, if something wrong with charger, are they going to ask you for the mouting pictures before they claim your warranty request??

Back