Location of Speed indicator--not at all driver friendly

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garsh said:
I'm actually still confused.
Most cars have the speedometer above the center of the steering wheel, like so:
images

But on the Leaf, it's above the steering wheel.
images

If your hand is blocking that, then you probably need to tilt the steering wheel down more.
Or raise your seat.

big hands?

Mason-Hulk-Hands.jpg

Every car I've driven for the last two decades has been 2MPH high at highway speed (55-60MPH), as confirmed by radar. I haven't done that with my 2013 yet, but it seems to be about the same.

LeftieBiker said:
Every car I've driven for the last two decades has been 2MPH high at highway speed (55-60MPH), as confirmed by radar. I haven't done that with my 2013 yet, but it seems to be about the same.
My 2012 is almost exactly that: 1-2 mph high at 60 mph indicated, as measured by radar. (I generally run 40-42 psi in the tires, which might affect it slightly, as will tire wear.) My ICE car is similar: it overestimates the speed by ~2 mph at 60 mph.

mwalsh said:
Duncan said:
Better that you can't read it anyway, mine is about 10% high which is inaccurate enough to be unusable

Don't you have mandates on that sort of thing? Ours is that the speedometer must be within 5% of being accurate.
Re: mandates, some of you might find http://priuschat.com/threads/speedometer-error-about-1-mph-some-evidence.77291/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; interesting.

my LEAF reads a mile higher than the actual speed.
i have to remember to speed up when someone comes up on me and I think I am already going the speed limit.

Only problem I have with positioning of instruments is at certain times of the day when facing away from the sun, sunlight hits the very bottom of the speedometer window and is angled just enough the sun is reflected directly at the driver. it's annoying, but flipping the visor down helps sometimes, hand position works too.

Unosaxum said:
Only problem I have with positioning of instruments is at certain times of the day when facing away from the sun, sunlight hits the very bottom of the speedometer window and is angled just enough the sun is reflected directly at the driver. it's annoying, but flipping the visor down helps sometimes, hand position works too.

I've never had a problem with the sun obscuring the speedometer window (the upper level display), but in the late morning/early afternoon the main (lower level) display and the Nav unit are often washed out. Another reason why I prefer analog gauges.

Back