Looking for feedback on a 75mi trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricBayArea

Have had the leaf for about 2 weeks and my wife and I need to drive somewhere that is roughly 75 miles round-trip (74.4 to be exact). I'd like to take the Leaf and this would be my first time really testing its range. It will be on a day where the forecast is about 70 degrees, which is perfect long-range driving. There is an elevation gain of about 400 ft that I'll have to do twice (there and back). I will be going during morning commute which should keep the speeds relatively steady and at about 45mph - which is good. On the way home though, I anticipate no traffic so speeds may be speed limit.

Here is an overview of the one-way going back home:
wc_to_sr.png

Since having the car, I have noted that going up to and then down from the "hill" (Caldecott Tunnel) on my way home, whatever the GOM says when I crest, seems to be about what it is when I get home, because of downhill and small rollers.

So what are your thoughts on a 100% charge?

Backup plan: A few miles from my destination is a parking structure with Coulomb chargers so after I'm done at my location, if I don't feel confident we can always pay for parking and charge for an hour or so. Additionally, there is a free charger about 7 miles form my house at a Whole Foods.

Charge to 100 no problem on that trip if you drive under 65 to be safe. There are many chargers there but one was broken when I was last there. You will be fine. Don't go if the temp drops to 69 though:)

i think you are fine. use the on-the-way charger for piece of mind, if you get worried.
dont drive 65. why would you, anyway?

and that near-home charger is a perfect safety.

thankyouOB said:
i think you are fine. use the on-the-way charger for piece of mind, if you get worried.
dont drive 65. why would you, anyway?

and that near-home charger is a perfect safety.

That's a newbie speed:)

EricBayArea said:
So what are your thoughts on a 100% charge?

You will make it with energy to spare! If it were me, I would use ECO all the way, use CrC, and keep your m/kW h 3.6 (dash) or higher. By using the m/kW h, you will be able to see how fast you can go on the way back. If you keep it at 65, you will have absolutely no problem and I predict a surplus when you arrive home. You shouldn't need any extra charging.

Edit: I just realized that your elevation was in METERS, not feet. Of course, a bigger impact than I originally thought.

Original post:

As to elevation, that's pretty tame, but of course, a small impact. Since the elevation change is about the same both ways, and small overall, there's only going to be a few mile impact to range.

None of my comments refer to the GuessOmeter, which I recommend covering up.

38 miles at 5.2 miles/kWh = 7.31 kWh burned (34.81% burned)
37 miles at 3.3 miles/kWh = 11.21 kWh burned
----------------------------------------
75 total miles with a total of 18.52 kWh burned of 21kWh usable (88% burned)

No adjustments for a heavy car, significant wind, significant heater use, elevation, etc.

I had no problem getting 85 miles on flat highway at 55 mph max starting at 100%. Your trip should be just fine.

Also, try to maintain your speed. Minor speed adjustments to compensate for traffic flow are okay, but too much braking is not your friend. Point is, on longer range trips, put your *mind* into ECO mode :)

Thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully the traffic speeds comply to my anticipatio and the trip turns out to be a successful range expiriment.

I'll provide a post trip wrap-up on Friday afternoon!

EricBayArea said:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully the traffic speeds comply to my anticipatio and the trip turns out to be a successful range expiriment.

I'll provide a post trip wrap-up on Friday afternoon!

Just remember, cruise control will not make your drive more efficient, likely the opposite in some cases. Unless you are one of those drivers that pulses their foot giving the passenger whiplash.

On the few times I've reset the mi/kWh computer, I've seen 4.3, 4.5 and 4.8... so I think I'm doing a good job driving efficiently. My wife on the other hand, her foot is not as light as mine.

...Could be because she is now having fun driving my old primary car - a turbo'ed Subaru Forester 5-speed :twisted:

I'll be driving this 75mi trip though. That's for sure.

I think you'll be fine. I just took my longest trip in my Leaf last weekend. It was about 73-74 miles round trip from my house in Fremont to San Francisco via 880/80. I kept my speed around 60 and did not run any A/C, just the fan for ventilation. Some traffic on the bridge and in the city kept my speeds at more like 40-50.
I charged to 100% before I left and returned home with 2 bars remaining and 17 miles showing on the guess-o-meter. I was never in doubt.

EVDRIVER said:
Just remember, cruise control will not make your drive more efficient, likely the opposite in some cases. Unless you are one of those drivers that pulses their foot giving the passenger whiplash.

I have to use cruise control because my speed constantly creeps up with my lead foot.

UPDATE: My plans changed and I will be doing this drive on Friday the 28th (not this Friday the 21st). I'll also be doing it by myself as my wife will not need to come. And, it may be a little later in the day which could mean less people on the road and faster speeds... but, I'm still going to take the Leaf and give it a go!

EricBayArea said:
UPDATE: My plans changed and I will be doing this drive on Friday the 28th (not this Friday the 21st). I'll also be doing it by myself as my wife will not need to come. And, it may be a little later in the day which could mean less people on the road and faster speeds... but, I'm still going to take the Leaf and give it a go!

The last Friday of the month is always a 20% range penalty.

Trip is over and I have good news and bad news...

Bad news is I'm going to want to push the car further because of the good news - I made it with 2 bars left :)

For those wanting more details
Starting Temp: 56 degrees, 5 bat[*]tery temp bars
Trip distance (as measured): 74.1mi
At destination: 6 bars, 2 whole trees
Back at home: 2 bars,2 whole trees
GOM remaining: 18 miles
Average mi/kWh for the trip: 4.5
Ending Temp: 73 degrees, 6 battery temp bars

Climate control was off for the entire trip and there was no traffic (except for at one point). Speed limit was 65 for most of the trip and 55 for a short bit. Got a bit warm on my way back so I cracked the window. I was going at or slightly below speed limit the whole time, except on downhills where I'd pop it into neutral and let it coast to the fastest speed it could reach (changing lanes accordingly) until the grade slowed me down to the speed limit again. There were 2 speed variances during the trip. At one point I was next to a truck spewing rocks so I QUICKLY sped up and got in front of him. And then I hit 1/4 mile of stop-and-go traffic on a steep uphill (getting to the Caldecott tunnel) on my way home.

Only times I was worried was getting back on the road with 6 bars showing (lasted for about 10 minutes) and again when I hit the traffic with 13 miles left until I got home.

All-in-all, a very good trip and it gives me a lot more confidence driving the car to greater lengths.

EricBayArea said:
Climate control was off for the entire trip and there was no traffic (except for at one point). Speed limit was 65 for most of the trip and 55 for a short bit. Got a bit warm on my way back so I cracked the window.
I have had a few trips like that. But as soon as I have 10 miles more than my return destination I turn on the climate control. Then if the cushin continues I start upping the speed. No need to be uncomfortable to get home with 2 bars and 18 GOM.

Glad to hear you made it just fine ;)

EricBayArea said:
Got a bit warm on my way back so I cracked the window.
FYI: Once the A/C reaches the setpoint temperature, it really doesn't take much energy to keep it there. Unless you're going slow, like under 35mph, it takes less energy to use the A/C than to crack the windows (opening the windows hurts the aerodynamics).

Anyways, nice report and good to hear you made the trip easily. :)

Back