Looking for help with repairing my leaf battery in Coventry, UK

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sargaendy

Hi all, first time posting here - I've owned my 2011 leaf for 2.5 years now, not had any issues with it (until now). I've recently had the same issue mentioned in this link:
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/op...esistor-was-bad-what-caused-it-to-fail.26117/I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that, but I work in IT and like to fix things, so have the same codes as the above link and same thing happened, used the heating some minutes before starting the car, go to start and it doesn't.
So, from this thread it would appear the precharge resistor in the HC battery pack has failed.
I've phoned a few places that say they repair EVs and it would appear they don't.
I found one place that said they can't look at it for 2 weeks, it will probably take weeks to fix and cost in the thousands rather than hundreds - that'd be more than the car's worth or thereabouts - not worth it for the 45 miles or so range that it gives me.

So, does anyone know of anyone who could help me with this in the reasonably near area? Obviously I can't drive the car so it's stuck in Coventry, UK currently!

Hi all, first time posting here - I've owned my 2011 leaf for 2.5 years now, not had any issues with it (until now). I've recently had the same issue mentioned in this link:
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/op...esistor-was-bad-what-caused-it-to-fail.26117/I'm not an electrical engineer or anything like that, but I work in IT and like to fix things, so have the same codes as the above link and same thing happened, used the heating some minutes before starting the car, go to start and it doesn't.
So, from this thread it would appear the precharge resistor in the HC battery pack has failed.
I've phoned a few places that say they repair EVs and it would appear they don't.
I found one place that said they can't look at it for 2 weeks, it will probably take weeks to fix and cost in the thousands rather than hundreds - that'd be more than the car's worth or thereabouts - not worth it for the 45 miles or so range that it gives me.

So, does anyone know of anyone who could help me with this in the reasonably near area? Obviously I can't drive the car so it's stuck in Coventry, UK currently!
Hiya, Do you know about Cleevely ev in Cheltenham? They know a lot about the Nissan Leaf batteries. They also have a mobile repair service. Cleevely Electric Vehicles | Electrical Vehicles | Gloucestershire They are about 60 miles from Coventry.
My Leaf sounds a bit like your's. 2011 1st Gen with low range. Any problems I have had, I have managed to fix. Once or twice due to the lead acid 12v battery going flat and that triggers some funny codes. I then charge the battery with a 4 amp charger and then use Leaf Spy Pro on my Kindle or phone and check for error codes and reset them. Leaf spy lite or pro was a godsend once or twice, but it did seem that the 12 volt battery going flat triggered the problem. Now I charge it regularly and check the voltage is at least 12.6 when I finish, but am thinking of putting in a larger capacity lead acid battery. Good luck.

Thanks, I do indeed know of them - I emailed both their garage and mobile servicing. They're not able to repair this using the mobile servicing. Quoted around £1100 to repair, which is pretty much on the edge of being worth it for the range and age. Combined with needing tyres and brakes already makes it even less viable!

I did mine on the driveway (summer time), it's not all that hard and I have a spare replacement resistor somewhere (Nissan wanted £650 for the part as they would only sell the whole box with resistor, relays etc in).

I am occasionally in Coventry for work and would be happy to offer advice/help if you feel like doing the work yourself.

The hardest thing on mine was all the seized bolts on the battery housing, particularly the aluminium ones around the main fuse connector.

Meant to say: 100% make sure the 12v battery is good before doing anything else.
Thanks yes, I've swapped it with a known good battery, wiped all the codes (and confirmed they're gone) tried again and still the same.
I'm half half on the idea of doing it myself as I'm no expert in electronics or indeed high voltage equipment. I'm also considering maybe looking at a 30kwh leaf instead, though obviously if mine was working it'd be worth a good amount more!

I am in the same boat as someone who started this - I cannot find a reasonable priced option for repair. Does anyone know a good repair shop near Austin, or even in Texas?

Back