Los Angeles Air Force Base goes 100% PEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremeflyer

I work on the LAAFB about 3 days a week. In 2008, they installed solar panels on the commissary, last year they installed solar panels in the parking lot. See story below.

http://www.losangeles.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123213281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, LAAFB plans to go 100% PEV. Of course, LAAFB is small, it only includes 40 vehicles, but it'll be first gov't facility to go 100% electric and will be used as a test site for other facilities. Hopefully I'll be able to use some of the EVSE's at the site. Right now, my commute to and from work, if I also visit the base, gets me home on Low Battery, it would be nice to top off for an hour or two while on base.

http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/22860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All Air Force-owned and leased general purpose fleet vehicles on the base will be replaced with EVs. There are approximately 40 eligible vehicles, ranging from passenger sedans to two-ton trucks and shuttle buses. Vehicles used for force protection, tactical and emergency response vehicles are exempt.

The replacement PEVs include fully-electric, plug-in hybrid electric, and extended range electric vehicles.

Hey, Phil and I spoke to the procurement guy at length on Friday.....Michael (something). Nissan is bringing a demo LEAF by the base tomorrow.

He's worried about off-base vehicles that might need to reach Vandenberg though, and I've got to be honest.....so am I - that's 164 miles one way. We've pretty much recommended a number of Volts for that purpose and LEAFs for local duty vehicles. He's pretty well convinced about Smith Electric for the trucks, but we also need to find him a passenger van of some kind.

i read this at the daily breeze on friday:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/opinions/ci_19005722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harbor Area residents are caught in a catch-22 by the new Plains All American supertanker berth proposed for San Pedro: They support the project but feel it should not proceed without much tougher rules to reduce the air pollution from the giant ships, which must run their engines while in port.

The docking facility would be built at Berth 408 on the southwesterly face of Pier 400, which is nearest to the Angels Gate entrance to L.A. Harbor; a mile from Cabrillo Beach. And despite protests, the Port of Los Angeles has agreed to allow dirty docking of three supertankers there per week for the next 10 years, and 40 annually forever after.

As a result, while at dock these massive ships will run engines night and day, instead of plugging in to use shoreside electric power, also called alternative marine power (AMP). For the first 10 years of operations, 85 percent of all tanker calls (up to 170 a year) will not plug in.

Residents who live in the diesel death zone around the port say that if the project proceeds under current dirty-docking rules, shippers should share their windfall profits by paying an AMP-offset fee to fund a clean-energy jobs project.

The AMP-offset fee would reduce air pollution and build sustainable energy solutions in the region by subsidizing residential solar installations and electric car purchases.

The supertanker berth is a cash machine for its operator, shippers and the port. In addition to the profit made from importing foreign crude oil, each call at the dock will provide an additional windfall of $2 million. That's because the supertankers will not have to lighter, or off-load, the crude into smaller tankers off the coast to bring it to Los Angeles.... (more)

mwalsh said:
Hey, Phil and I spoke to the procurement guy at length on Friday.....Michael (something). Nissan is bringing a demo LEAF by the base tomorrow.

He's worried about off-base vehicles that might need to reach Vandenberg though, and I've got to be honest.....so am I - that's 164 miles one way. We've pretty much recommended a number of Volts for that purpose and LEAFs for local duty vehicles. He's pretty well convinced about Smith Electric for the trucks, but we also need to find him a passenger van of some kind.

That's cool Mike.. Yea, they are doing a mini expo at the base tomorrow that's for both the base to see all the different options, but also for base personnel to be able to check it out. I have no sway on base since Contractors are on the lowest tier of support (heck, we even have to bring our own air cards to connect to the internet), but I'm hoping driving up in the Leaf will remind them that people that work there would appreciate a charge and might convince more people to buy electric if they could get charge on base.

I go to Vandenberg about 4 times a year. My company has approved me to rent a car when I head up there.

Dave tells me that Nissan was a no-show today. I can't believe that....the Drive Electric cars have got to still be in town - I mean they're supposed to be in Long Beach for this coming Friday. Sigh. We had the decision maker all primed for them and everything! That would have been a 40 vehicle fleet sale just at the one facility.

So that's what was going on at the base today. I drove out of the base at about 12.30 and saw people with Aerovironment bags. I would've turned around to go back in and see what was going on but I had somewhere to be. So any word on when/whether there will be EVSEs available on base? I'm there a couple hours almost every day, so that would be awesome!

Back