Loss of Recharge when in ECO mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NNichols

I notice that my brakes are talking all of the load when I approach a red light in ECO mode.
I suspect the charging function is not working.

If I tap lightly on the break the power usage shifts from neutral to slight charge.

I was not this way when new. I am at 18k miles.

I have no extended warranty - but knew I was taking a risk.

Rochester, NY

How is the regen when not in ECO? Also how many bubbles of regen do you have? you know that regen depends on SOC don't you? A very high SOC=basically no regen. Lastly are you missing any SOH bars? Lots of reasons for low regen, we just need to know more of your specifics.

Well there was no regen charge, in Eco, on the way to the dealership. So I left it there overnight.

The services crew pluged it first thing in the morning to a full charge at 240v 60 a.

Needless to say it did not show a regen charge when driven by the tech.

It seemed ok on the way home. A week later it showed up again for a brief moment

I can feel the brake pads contacting the rotors when I slow down to a red light.

At this time of year temperature is a factor in UpState NY.

Morning,
Hope this helps. When the battery is fully charged there is only one green bubble of region available regardless of mode selection. I fond on my 2106 SV that i don't get any more available until the "fuel" gauge loses a bar or two. This depends on battery temp as well.
By bubbles available I mean there is a double circle on the ones that can be used. When you are at %100 charge note closely the circles on the region side compared the the ones on the power side. You will see the ones on the power side are a double circle and the region side might only have 1 that is double. This would be the one closest to the center. As you use the battery more will become available.
If only the ones with they double circles are lit green when you are slowing or braking then that is the maximum region you can get at that moment. It's often quite a surprise as the feel of the braking is much different. You get used to it.
The other thing is that once you slow to under 10 mph or so the region is reduced as well. That transition can be strange at times too.
If however you have all the region bubbles available and you are slowing from a higher speed and not many bubbles fill with green in eco mode then there is likely some system issue. Just letting off the go pedal in eco at normal traffic speeds usually fills all the bubbles on my car.

your LEAF when "full" is not at 100% SOC. This is done to prevent against PERMANENT damage to the individual cells. As a pack, some will be higher voltage than others. The BMS is protecting those higher cells by stopping charge at roughly 97% and limiting regen when SOC is high.

Back