May Deliveries! Or... May(be)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cordero said:
Ok I also am one of the skipped Sept. orders. I called CS and got the don't worry they are correcting the mistakes and you should be OK. THEN... I emailed my Dealer North Bay Nissan. I was told that they don't have a VIN, Cant confirm my car has been built,shipped or anything and they are going to forward it up the chain to find out some answers. I have been pleased with the service from North Bay througout this process but Nissan Corporate is getting me worried. Can it be worse than they are telling us? If they are messing this up what else is messed up? BTW this is my first Nissan Purchase and I am not sure if I would buy one again if this is how they do business. I have ordered new cars from Ford and they have been upfront with the order process and time frame. (SVT Cobra 1994, 1996, 2003) Yes its my first venture into eco friendlyness... Soon solar PV system and composting LOL???
Semper Fi

I am in the same boat as you cordero. Called CS and Ron at Northbay, I am still pending. Like you this is my first Nissan purchase...that is if the LEAF shows up, and probably my only one.

OK... after not checking MNL or the Nissan DB for over 16hrs a new record for me. I checked this AM and got a May 2 Deliver estimate.....YEAH sweet time to start checking....

Semper FI

"Hi XXX, the estimated delivery date for your Nissan LEAF™ has been updated. Sign in to "my account" to see when your vehicle is now expected to arrive at your Nissan Dealer"

Received this email from Nissan this AM. In the last week I have gone from May to Pending and now to Month of June. Never a dull moment!

Reserved 4/20/2010 - 7:19PM
Ordered 10/27/2010

"Received this email from Nissan this AM. In the last week I have gone from May to Pending and now to Month of June. Never a dull moment!"
(Juiced)

Juiced, I can quote because I am identical in information, and a 10/29 order date. Now us California Leafers will race for the $5K rebate, if $$$$ remains!
Gregg

Well April > May > Pending > May 2. Now I have Carwings waiting for my email. I called Boardwalk Nissan and they still don't have the VIN. But I can feel my spirits are lifting after spending the last week learning how ships move from Japan etc.

I had reserved 4/20/10 and ordered 9/30/10. Last night I was cursing the January and February orders which seemed to have snuck in ahead but maybe justice is being served today?

solardude said:
May to Pending and today to July. :(
Same here. I was holding steady at "month of May" for two months, before going back to "Pending" on 4/4 and "month of July" now.

I thought I was "safe" after surviving the initial round of earthquake delay announcements. I still thought I was "safe" after I got the 4/4 email from Nissan saying "you might have noticed the delivery timing on your "my account" page has been changed to "pending."" but my status had NOT changed. A CS chat, a 2 CS phone calls, and 2 emails to them that day all seemed to confirm that interpretation, but later that night I (along with many others) went to "Pending". Another call to CS the next day, and I was told to "ignore" the "Pending" and that everybody who didn't yet have a VIN got switched to that while they sort things out.

Now today I get "month of July" in my dashboard, but interestingly I have not received any emails from Nissan yet, while it appears others have.

[whine] I really thought that sometime in May was pretty much assured (i.e. that my car had been made and shipped before the earthquake.) All communications with Nissan (Maritz) on 4/4 seemed to reinforce that. We have a real need for a car before early June (current one is literally falling apart), and may have to make alternative arrangements now — which is a real bummer, with the LEAF being so close. But, after all the ups and downs and seeing others who ordered after us getting cars (or dates) before us, etc., most of my excitement about being an early LEAF adopter, promoter, (and Nissan convert) is pretty much gone at this point. I see no reason at all to get out of the queue (by canceling), but chances are good that if they don't find us a pre-earthquake car soon, that there will be an orphaned Silver SL-e showing up at Rairdon sometime in/after July.

I was very excited in 2009, and was ready to order on the spot at the Zero Emission Tour. I was on Nissan's priority list. I tried reserving the minute that opened up on 4/20/2010, but a snafu with the Nissan website rejected all Amex reservations, which pushed me back a few hours. That, in turn, cost me a couple months before ordering opened up for me. And when it finally did, the Nissan web site would NOT let me select a preferred dealer anywhere near me (although there were a number of them fully set up that I had already been in communication with that had already taken other LEAF orders). Once that was sorted out, I was told that Nissan was going to be shipping orders based on reservation date/time, NOT order date/time. Since the LEAF ordering page offered a number accessories with practically no information or photos, and the Drive Electric tour was coming in under 2 weeks, I thought there would be no harm in waiting to order till after we saw all the car colors and accessories in-person. As it turns out, there was significant harm in believing Nissan and waiting to order, AND — besides it being a chaotic 2-hour wait beyond our reservation time for a 2-minute "test drive" — there was zero information about accessories on the tour (so I just went with floor mats, figuring I'd order anything else after the car arrived). Then the waiting game resumed.

At the time, Nissan was still saying shipments would begin in December, but there was a chance I wouldn't get the car till January. This was already scary, since there was uncertainty over whether a state sales tax exemption would carry over into 2011 (it did). When I attended the Nissan party for the first Seattle LEAF delivery in December, it became clear that it was just a PR move and no cars from regular production would arrive for another month or two. I was holding out hope for a February delivery, but didn't even get past "Pending" till Feb 8, at which time we were told not March, not April, but "month of May"! The Nissan email said then that our car "is being built and shipped", and that they "will continue to update your vehicle's status". Nissan proclaimed to the press in January that they would be building 4,000 cars a month. We no longer had the ability to make any changes to our order, leading us to actually believe Nissan when they said our car was "being built and shipped". But, either our car was never built, or it was subsequently allocated to someone else, since they are coming up empty-handed now. We're very, very disappointed in Nissan right now… We've always been a Honda/Acura family, but were disappointed with their lack of EV/plug-in hybrid story, and were ready to jump ship. But now, 2 years later, it's looking like they aren't actually very far behind Nissan. [/whine]

I certainly understand that the earthquake, which occurred over a month later, has had a devastating impact on many levels, and fully sympathize with that. But it's now been a full two months since Nissan said our car was being shipped, so it's very disappointing to learn (nearly a month after the earthquake) that it was not, and that they won't even have one for us till sometime in July (if we are to believe them this time).

Is this still the official May deliveries thread? While a lot of May(bes) got moved out, some April deliveries just got moved into May. Just wondering...... :|

Hi, new to the forum.
I have a "reservation" since 6/8/10. No contact from Nissan other than delivery "pending". I have never been contacted by any local Nissan dealer to date regarding the purchase. I am on the East Coast of the USA, outside of Washington, D.C. Does anyone have information about deliveries in this part of the country? Also I am concerned that cold east coast winters will be a big battery problem. The days when it is single digits and a high of 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Any information is appreciated.

Hi Chuck,

I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I'm pretty sure you have to pick a dealer first (through the website), then they'll contact you with a quote. Though I'm not sure why your delivery would be pending if you have not even received and accepted a quote...? And I didn't think that your area is part of the original roll-out.

On the temperature issue, there are probably two concerns:
1) Battery performance will be affected by temperature, not sure to which degree. Soooo - depending on the type of terrain (hills/flat) and roads (highway speeds?) you're using, you need to budget your miles carefully. If you need to drive, for instance, 70 miles between charges at highway speed AND have hills, you might be in trouble, at least after a few years. I don't think I'll ever need more than 40 miles between charges (on this car), so I'm not too worried.
2) Over time (after a few years), the battery performance will be slightly reduced as well (in any weather, but the more extreme temperature cycles may make that degradation worse, too). That's one reason that Ford is putting a temperature management system around their battery. Of course, they also use a different battery... until both cars have been out in the wild for a few years, we won't have reliable data to compare. One overall comparison between the two vehicles is at http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1101_2013_ford_focus_electric_2011_nissan_leaf_vs_comparison/battery_and_handling.html.

Amary said:
… We've always been a Honda/Acura family, but were disappointed with their lack of EV/plug-in hybrid story, and were ready to jump ship. But now, 2 years later, it's looking like they aren't actually very far behind Nissan. [/whine]

Perhaps it would be best to give up your place and wait for the 2012 Leaf, it wont be too long before they show up ,, they will be more reliable and have less bugs than the 2010 Leafs, perhaps they will even come with the promised 6kw charger!

Amary said:
We've always been a Honda/Acura family, but were disappointed with their lack of EV/plug-in hybrid story, and were ready to jump ship. But now, 2 years later, it's looking like they aren't actually very far behind Nissan. [/whine]

I certainly feel your frustration, Amary. In fact, I had the same AMEX issue on 4/20 when I tried to reserve. I called CS frantically at the time and was able to get a supervisor, who assured me that my reservation wouldn't be affected, though I'd have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to clear up the issue with AMEX card. Thankfully, I did manage to get an early September order date and eventually a March 30 delivery.

Just my opinion, but on your comment about Honda/Acura catching up with Nissan, I'd advise caution in concluding that Honda will deliver a satisfactory EV within the next 12 to 18 months. Honda has been saying that EVs are not the answer and now they are playing catchup. At the LA car show, they showed an electrified Fit with some "me too" electronics that were trying to mimic what the LEAF has. An electrified FIT will likely suffer from issues of too much weight and interior packaging and space compromises similar to the electrified Ford Focus. Honda hasn't announced or shown any running prototypes, just a mocked-up Fit with a plug in port. At this point, 18 months ahead of the first deliveries of the LEAF, Nissan already had running prototypes and test "mules" that were being driven at test events and shown to reporters. Combine that with Nissan's long history in EV and battery development compared with Honda's lack of interest in anything beyond their IMA hybrid technology (not designed to run in EV mode only, as opposed to Toyota's hybrid design), and I think it will be 2 to 3 years before Honda has a competitive EV to the LEAF.

I'd be frustrated at Nissan, as you are, but I think you'll forget all of that when you get your LEAF and realize what a terrific car it is.

Ok rookie move here... I have a week of May 2 delivery estimate. I have not had car wings open up? I logged into the Owners portal but no vehicle yet? I see several pre delivery boxes on DB like financing,carwings,trade in. Is there another way to get your vin so you can log in to carwings or find out your vin? Thanks in advance.
P.S. I still have not recieved got any emails from Nissan is anyone else not contacted by email yet still has DB activity? No save Japan, sorry for the delay nada nada?

@Cordero: I'm a rookie, too, but I know that they have problems with their email system. I don't receive ANY of their messages about status changes etc., and CS has checked 3 times that my email address is correct in there. Even after changing it to a different email address, no luck. On a different thread, somebody reported the same problem, and his problem was fixed when he changed the email address through a link in an old email. I don't have that old email, but maybe you do and can try that.
Otherwise, call them, online chat with them, etc., so that
a) they fix your email problem (though I have little confidence)
b) you're aware of your status, and what you're expected to do.
There is a chance that the emails (which you and I don't receive) contain some important links to activate your account etc., they need to find a way to get that to you.

Best of luck!

PDXKraut said:
@Cordero: I'm a rookie, too, but I know that they have problems with their email system. I don't receive ANY of their messages about status changes etc., and CS has checked 3 times that my email address is correct in there. Even after changing it to a different email address, no luck. On a different thread, somebody reported the same problem, and his problem was fixed when he changed the email address through a link in an old email. I don't have that old email, but maybe you do and can try that.
Otherwise, call them, online chat with them, etc., so that
a) they fix your email problem (though I have little confidence)
b) you're aware of your status, and what you're expected to do.
There is a chance that the emails (which you and I don't receive) contain some important links to activate your account etc., they need to find a way to get that to you.

Best of luck!
I had a similar issue where the system-generated emails were going to someone else about 400 miles South of me (after initially going to some guy in Illinois). Call CS and tell them to pull up your full account, just like a dealer would. At the bottom of the page there is a link called "communication record". Instruct them to click on that link, and this will produce a list of PDF files that contain emails that were supposed to be sent to you. Ask them to open up EVERY ONE of those and make sure they are addressed to you AND have your correct email. If they haven't been, you have legitimate grounds to request that your delivery date be advanced (since you weren't notified about reservations, RAQ, etc.). Try it. It works. I finally received one--the one that send me into Pending again.

Back