May Deliveries! Or... May(be)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the information. I sent an email to my local Nissan dealer. Maybe he can be of some help. It seems like LEAF deliveries to the East Coast will not be until the end of 2011 with orders taken over the summer.

Cordero,

I would check with your PD. See if they have a order or supplemental order thru their dealer ordering system ( not the LEAF dealer DB.) My VIN initially showed up in the dealers supplemental February orders for April. With that CS talked to my PD and then helped me log into the Owners portal and get CARWINGS activated. It lists a VIN but I actually not sure how much faith I have in the whole process. They told me to ignore my DB status of Pending and the change to Month of June. I am just waiting to see what this week brings. I initially had a lot of problems getting email from Nissan. Now I seem to get emails but they seems to lag significantly from what appears to be happening.

cordero said:
I have a week of May 2 delivery estimate. I have not had car wings open up? I logged into the Owners portal but no vehicle yet?

When did you reserve and order? If you happen to be a 2011 orderer, Nissan may have taken your LEAF to give it to an earlier orderer. As soon as I was given a 'week of' date, I received my VIN and could register with Carwings.

Boomer23 said:
I certainly feel your frustration, Amary. In fact, I had the same AMEX issue on 4/20 when I tried to reserve. I called CS frantically at the time and was able to get a supervisor, who assured me that my reservation wouldn't be affected, though I'd have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to clear up the issue with AMEX card. Thankfully, I did manage to get an early September order date and eventually a March 30 delivery.
Congratulations! I tried calling CS repeatedly on 4/20 as well, but was never able to get through "due to heavy call volume". I did manage to get another credit card to go through a few hours later, but that delay pushed me back to October (which then slipped into November).
Boomer23 said:
Just my opinion, but on your comment about Honda/Acura catching up with Nissan, I'd advise caution in concluding that Honda will deliver a satisfactory EV within the next 12 to 18 months. Honda has been saying that EVs are not the answer and now they are playing catchup. At the LA car show, they showed an electrified Fit with some "me too" electronics that were trying to mimic what the LEAF has. An electrified FIT will likely suffer from issues of too much weight and interior packaging and space compromises similar to the electrified Ford Focus. Honda hasn't announced or shown any running prototypes, just a mocked-up Fit with a plug in port. At this point, 18 months ahead of the first deliveries of the LEAF, Nissan already had running prototypes and test "mules" that were being driven at test events and shown to reporters. Combine that with Nissan's long history in EV and battery development compared with Honda's lack of interest in anything beyond their IMA hybrid technology (not designed to run in EV mode only, as opposed to Toyota's hybrid design), and I think it will be 2 to 3 years before Honda has a competitive EV to the LEAF.
That was my thinking, too. But their announcement of having test fleets out in 2011 made me think they actually have been quietly working on this for a while and just didn't "pre-announce" as far out as Nissan did. A lot of Honda's technology actually comes from their FCX, which they've been developing since 1999. That's an electric car — just one that gets its electricity from hydrogen fuel cells instead of lithium ion batteries. Also, I understand that Honda's next-generation (2012) hybrid platform is a "full" (series-parallel) hybrid (like Toyota's Synergy Drive) vs. their "mild" (parallel) hybrid IMA platform, and that they will offer plug-in hybrids. So that means they already have all the technology. They just need to put in larger batteries (from suppliers who have more experience making batteries than Nissan does) and remove the ICE. (I was previously looking forward to the Prius Plug-in, but its battery-only range is only 13(!) miles.) I don't think Nissan ever fleet-tested the LEAF. They seem to be using the early adopters as their "beta" testers. (Which is one reason I actually was fine being a few months (but not 7!) behind the first pioneers.)
Boomer23 said:
I'd be frustrated at Nissan, as you are, but I think you'll forget all of that when you get your LEAF and realize what a terrific car it is.
Yeah, that's what I figured. It's just that my enthusiasm is pretty much gone at this point after all the Nissan screw-ups, their failure to make good on them, and the total inability of Nissan CS (Maritz) to be able to provide real answers or to get me to anyone who can, much less anyone with any authority — probably exactly what Nissan pays them to do. Maybe, as others have suggested, I might be able to be one of the first to get a 2012 LEAF, instead. If Nissan were to offer me that (at the same price), it would go a long ways towards "making good" on all the frustration and grief they've put me (and others) through…

Boomer23 said:
Just my opinion, but on your comment about Honda/Acura catching up with Nissan, I'd advise caution in concluding that Honda will deliver a satisfactory EV within the next 12 to 18 months. Honda has been saying that EVs are not the answer and now they are playing catchup. At the LA car show, they showed an electrified Fit with some "me too" electronics that were trying to mimic what the LEAF has. An electrified FIT will likely suffer from issues of too much weight and interior packaging and space compromises similar to the electrified Ford Focus

I agree. Honda has never been able to compete with Toyota on hybrids for two main reasons. One is that their technology is slightly inferior but the main reason is likely that their vehicles don't stand out as hybrids. The original insight stood out, but it was not a car most people wanted. The newer insight looks so much like a prius (yes, I know honda had that design first, but it is too late now) that most people can't tell them apart. And if they make electric Fits, then great. I'm sure some people will buy them. But they will never have the market penetration of the Leaf because the Fit looks like a cheap economy car and when people spend $30,000 on a vehicle, they want it to show.

LEAFfan said:
cordero said:
I have a week of May 2 delivery estimate. I have not had car wings open up? I logged into the Owners portal but no vehicle yet?

When did you reserve and order? If you happen to be a 2011 orderer, Nissan may have taken your LEAF to give it to an earlier orderer. As soon as I was given a 'week of' date, I received my VIN and could register with Carwings.

I have a Week of May 2nd but Carwings hasn't opened up for me either. I guess I'm supposed to get an email from Nissan to open up Carwings but I haven't received anything since the delay to pending email.
Am I missing something?

Things are moving again. From May 2 to May 6 but now I have a VIN (2191) and Carwings is open.

Of course, no email about any of this from Nissan.

From what I see on the current Spreadsheet I think I have the highest VIN.

Turbo3 said:
Things are moving again. From May 2 to May 6 but now I have a VIN (2191) and Carwings is open. Of course, no email about any of this from Nissan.

You should get your email about a week after your 'week of'. At least that's what happened to me.

My delivery week also just moved to Friday May 6, Carwings opened up for registration and I got my VIN as well. I am 2331. Now the next issue will be getting the eTec Blink charger installed. How long should that take now?

I have a question for the group. I have the iPhone application for Carwings, and can't seem to get logged into it. I'm not sure what username/password combination I should use. Is it the Carwings one that I use in the car or the one that I use to get into the owners portal?

My apologies for not reading this entire thread before posting this. I've been gone for nearly three weeks and catching up is hard.

When Nissan started sending out the emails downgrading delivery estimates to "Pending" and I didn't get such a notice, after a week or so I figured I was safe with my "Month of May" delivery. Then, while I was out of the country (scuba diving in Fiji) I got the dreaded notice and my dashboard was accordingly downgraded.

When I got home yesterday there was a phone message from my dealer. He first told me that my car had been "lost" (no clear explanation of exactly what that meant) which accounted for the change to "Pending," but that Nissan had located a car intended as a dealer demo that matched my specs, and had reallocated it to me. Bottom line, my newly reallocated car is in Portland with an estimated "Week of April 22" delivery date. I went to my dashboard and sure enough, it shows the new delivery estimate, and Carwings is open. I now have a user PIN and password to input into the car when it arrives. I also have a VIN.

At the time I placed my order I was unsure whether or not I would buy the car, since I didn't know when my electric Porsche would be ready. It was originally converted by a guy in Florida who did a criminally incompetent job on it, and has since been in a local shop being rebuilt from scratch. It now looks as though the Porsche will be finished at about the same time as the Leaf arrives, but the expectation is that it will always be a "project car," great fun to drive, but not a daily driver. So, after waiting two years for it, and maybe getting it the same week, or possibly even the same day as the Leaf, I've decided I still want the Leaf.

It's been a long and frustrating wait. I got to drive a demo Leaf a while back and am looking forward to both the EV Porsche and it. This means I will have three EVs, but once I have the Leaf I'll sell the little Zap Xebra SD.

Back