May Deliveries Pushed to July

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaflessInSeattle

My nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car account status just went from Estimated Delivery Month of May to Estimated Delivery Month of July.

Called the dealer and they verified the bad news. They said that not all the May deliveries made the last boat out of Yokahama. If your delivery was early May (on the boat) you're still on schedule. If your delivery was for later May (missed the boat), you're waiting until Japan gets back in business.

(Reservation date 4/21/10; date 10/28/10).

From last night and today's reports it seems Oct 1 and earlier orders made it and Oct 22 and later did not (statement only valid if you went to pending, if you still have a week of or VIN you are probably ok).

Still need more reports between Oct 2 and Oct 21 to see cut off point in that range.

Turbo3 said:
From last night and today's reports it seems Oct 1 and earlier orders made it and Oct 22 and later did not (statement only valid if you went to pending, if you still have a week of or VIN you are probably ok).

Still need more reports between Oct 2 and Oct 21 to see cut off point in that range.
MaryC reports that she has Carwings/VIN with a June ETA - RAQ Oct 22, ordered Oct 25.

I am still showing a Month of May delivery date in the Dash. No VIN (haven't tried DP method) or Carwings. Mine's said Month of May since forever. This Lucky Duck is wishing the best to all the "forgotten" orders .

On 03/26 the contractor for EV project called me to install the charger by "end of April" and said that Nissan informed them I have a delivery date. I have never see an x week of May, but I believed the charger needs to be installed two weeks before the delivery. So I expected a second week in May delivery. But instead May to Pending to July. Can anybody say if there is any corelation between charger installation limit date and delivery date?

The charger installation is scheduled for 04/15.

Ordered 10/28

Now something is strange. My chat with a supervisor at CS said that the 900 cars in port should cover "most" of the September to December orders. Yet people are reporting that their date has changed from May to June or July and they have October or November order dates. This does not make sense unless (1) delivery of those 900 cars are being spread out from May to June to ??? or (2) the majority of those cars are being sent to rental companies or some such or (3) there really is a large number of vehicles going to late Jan or Feb orders ??? or (4) the number of people on the spreadsheet is in the very very low percentage of all orders or (5) all of above. Anyone want to speculate?

Well, I hope that future students of public relations study this in textbooks for years and years to come, in a chapter titled: "How to take the most motivated, enthusiastic, and excited fans in the world and turn them into people who remember your mistreatment of them for the rest of their lives."

youngr3 said:
Now something is strange. My chat with a supervisor at CS said that the 900 cars in port should cover "most" of the September to December orders. Yet people are reporting that their date has changed from May to June or July and they have October or November order dates. This does not make sense unless (1) delivery of those 900 cars are being spread out from May to June to ??? or (2) the majority of those cars are being sent to rental companies or some such or (3) there really is a large number of vehicles going to late Jan or Feb orders ??? or (4) the number of people on the spreadsheet is in the very very low percentage of all orders or (5) all of above. Anyone want to speculate?

Many people are reporting holds being placed on deliveries because of the A/C problem. It could be that everything is slipping a few weeks until they are sure that the problem is fixed. They are probably waiting for data from the cars that have had the problem "fixed" before they release any more vehicles from Long Beach. They whole process of patching those in the field, letting them operate for a few days, collecting and anaylzing new data, testing and loading new firmware into 1000 vehicles, etc. could easily take a couple of weeks or more.

My delivery date was "April" (no specific date).
Changed earlier this week to "Pending".
Today - April 8 2011 - got notice it changed to "June" :cry:
Really had my heat set on taking delivery this month. Dealer said that a boat with 600 units made it to Long Beach port last week and was hoping one of those was mine..

Ordered - Nov 2010.
Glacier Pearl
Level 3 opt.

I just got my "Month of May, 2011" changed to "Week of April 18". Yahoo!! I ordered on Oct.4, here in Texas. Looks like I got the last boat out before the tsunami!

LeaflessInSeattle said:
Well, I hope that future students of public relations study this in textbooks for years and years to come, in a chapter titled: "How to take the most motivated, enthusiastic, and excited fans in the world and turn them into people who remember your mistreatment of them for the rest of their lives."
I, too, went from a solid "month of May" (from 2/8 through 4/4) to "Pending" and now "month of July". I wrote a long post about in in the "May(be)" thread, but I guess this is my new home, now.

I, too, believed (based on everything Nissan CS had told me, and from what I've read here), that I was pretty "safe", in that I survived the first round of earthquake delay notices and in that my dashboard continued to show "Month of May" after the second round of emails went around on 4/4. But later that night, like many others, I went back to "Pending". More calls to CS told me "not to worry about it" and that the "Pending" didn't mean anything had actually changed.

I never did receive any email from Nissan about the new "month of July" status date, but found it there this morning.

I must say that these past 4 days have really been a turning point for me, too. Up until that time, I was a very passionate LEAF proponent, having gone to every local LEAF event, and was very excited (despite repeated delays) that soon I would finally be joining the ranks of EV'ers. I had been on the priority list, and was poised to reserve the minute it opened up on 4/20, but the Nissan web site had problems accepting Amex cards, so that pushed back my reservation a few hours, starting a chain of events that ultimately has meant I am now a full 7 months behind the first people to get their cars (assuming that Nissan can be trusted to actually deliver in July). That initial delay pushed back my order opening date by almost 2 months. Then more problems with the Nissan site prevented me from selecting either of my preferred local dealers (whom I'd already been talking to for a while). Further false information from Nissan (that they'd be shipping in the order of reservations, not orders), and the lack of any information on accessories prompted me to wait an extra couple weeks before ordering, so I could see the cars in-person (all colors), and hopefully get more info on the accessories at the upcoming local "Drive Electric Tour". That was kind of a bust, so I only ordered floor mats with my Silver SL-e.

But this last round of going back to Pending, and now July, coupled with all the calls, emails, and chat sessions I've had with CS (and attempted contacts with Nissan Corporate and my dealer), have pretty much depleted all my excitement about the LEAF and goodwill towards Nissan. I very nearly canceled my order out of sheer frustration, but I don't see any reason not to remain in line, even if I end up getting a different car before July. I certainly understand that the earthquake had a devastating effect at many levels, and fully sympathize with that. But, all indications from Nissan and CS were that my car had already been built and shipped before the earthquake. After all, Nissan sent me an email on 2/7 saying they were building and shipping my car at that time. The least I would have expected from Nissan was that if there was a delay, they would not wait till the last minute (3 weeks before my delivery month, and a nearly a full month after the earthquake) to notify me of a delay. But that's exactly what they did. And no small delay, either. It's another 2 full months.

Unfortunately, these two months that we won't have a LEAF are two Summer months where we really do need a car, and will now need to make other arrangements that may well preclude taking subsequent delivery on a LEAF. For us, this latest (and very late) Nissan delay has set off a whole new chain reaction of unfortunate consequences that impacts many facets of our lives, from vacation plans, remodeling plans, plans having to do with repair/selling of existing cars, etc.

The really ironic part is that until this month my wife wasn't so excited about the prospect of paying so much to be a pioneer, but was just beginning to change her mind and get excited about the impending delivery. Now, not only have I lost my long-standing enthusiasm, but she feels like she got all excited about nothing, and had the rug pulled out from under her, too.

Unless things change, there may well be an orphaned silver SL-e at Rairdon's sometime in July (if we can trust Nissan on that…).

Back