Mwalsh and LEAF invade LAX

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I’ve always anticipated that a certain amount of trepidation would accompany an extended stay at LAX for my LEAF. Not only would I be leaving my precious vehicle all alone for a couple of weeks, but I would also have to deal with the dilemma of whether to charge or not, knowing that a 70-plus mile round-trip from my house might well turn out to be optimistic being as I’d be loaded down with the additional weight of a companion and some 200lbs worth of luggage (we don’t tend to travel light).

You see, the current set-up at LAX offers two lots with EV parking – either you can park in the open lot (Lot 1), where access to J1772 compliant EVSEs can be had but with the added perils of bird poop or soot from jet fuel contaminating your beautiful paintwork. Or you could park in an enclosed lot (Lot 6) with it’s numerous EVSEs, not a single one of which is compatible with the LEAF.

I’d always thought winging it, and parking in the latter, keeping my fingers crossed that there would be sufficient charge to get home would be the way to go. So on Sunday the 15th I pulled into the lot and parked for our 11 day visit to the UK, joining a couple of MINI Es and a handful of RAV4s.

Being as my wife has a placard for her heart condition, I parked in one of several disabled EV spots, thinking that it would present the least chance of inconveniencing a RAV4 driver, since I wouldn’t be charging. Not that I think it really mattered much – the lot has like 20 EV spots in all (at least 3 of which are also for disabled drivers). It’s just a shame that none has a J1772 connector yet.

I had decided that my drive would be slow and steady in both directions, with speeds at 65mph or under, and without climate control. I also decided against using of the cruise control, reasoning that I could probably feather the throttle better than the electronics could. It was interesting to see what the extra weight did to energy consumption, cutting into the next highest “bubble” in the dash display power meter while I tired to keep a constant speed, none of which helped my comfort level when it came to range. But I had told myself if I could reach LAX without using more than half my battery, I had a pretty good shot at the trip home taking no more.

But as it happened, I needn’t have worried too much - I arrived at LAX just as the battery meter dropped onto the fifth bar, meaning that I would have nearly 7 full bars for the drive home. Actually, and this may surprise some of you, I gained some charge back while the car was sat rather than loosing some – a status update a few days later indicated 8 bars left rather than the 7 I had when I walked away from the car. And I was actually able to get 2 miles out of that self-regeneration before I once again lost bar eight.

Getting away from LAX is about what we’ve been led to expect, with the parking attendant wanting the car’s plate number and the information from your driver’s license, along with a home phone number. I’m still not quite sure how I feel about folks who will now know that whenever I’m parked at LAX my house is likely to be empty having that kind of information, but I guess I can only hope that everyone concerned is above-board. The one thing I can say for sure is that I liked saving the $330 it would have cost me to park there, and the convenience of having my car that close to the terminal.

So the bottom line on the whole escapade was that I reached the gate to my community with the low fuel warning just coming on, and after just dipping into the first of the two remaining red bars on the SOC meter, showing a total distance driven of 71.5 miles. My conservative guess is that I could have had anywhere from 6 to 10 miles remaining before “turtle”, maybe more. Someday I will have to do the same drive without the passenger and luggage to see how the whole thing would play out with less weight in the car.

Img_5704.jpg

Img_5705.jpg

Img_5706.jpg

Img_5707.jpg

Img_5709.jpg

If you aren't charging, park in a normal spot away from all the chargers. No reason to park in an electric space. Just make sure its either Lot 1 or 6. The attendants don't know where you park while you are there, to get your free parking.

dactec said:
If you aren't charging, park in a normal spot away from all the chargers. No reason to park in an electric space. Just make sure its either Lot 1 or 6. The attendants don't know where you park while you are there, to get your free parking.

That's still open to debate. The official LAX website says "Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit". And since everyone else seems to park at the stations, charging or not, I think it would be foolish to be the first caught out by surprise enforcement of "them thar rules".

mwalsh said:
dactec said:

That's still open to debate. The official LAX website says "Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit". And since everyone else seems to park at the stations, charging or not, I think it would be foolish to be the first caught out by surprise enforcement of "them thar rules".

But if you only get charged (the $ kind) when you leave, how would the parking attendant know? I'm pretty sure they don't have EV cops driving around making sure EV park only in EV spots, and then checking against whether that EV paid on its way out or not.

occ said:
But if you only get charged (the $ kind) when you leave, how would the parking attendant know? I'm pretty sure they don't have EV cops driving around making sure EV park only in EV spots, and then checking against whether that EV paid on its way out or not.

Probably not, and it's something I did give consideration to. But in the end I caved to peer-pressure, after seeing Mini Es and Teslas not charging yet still parked in charging stalls.

occ said:
I wouldn't be too sure. I parked at LAX once, long ago, and lost my ticket. The attendant looked on her computer and had no problem figuring out I had been there three days and totaling up the proper charge. Obviously, they somehow kept tabs on cars left longer than a day or so. It wouldn't be hard at all to log the plate numbers at the EV stalls once a day, then look up and find a car claiming to be charging had never been parked at an EV spot.

mwalsh said:
So the bottom line on the whole escapade was that I reached the gate to my community with the low fuel warning just coming on, and after just dipping into the first of the two remaining red bars on the SOC meter, showing a total distance driven of 71.5 miles.
Nice story! I am guessing you have not had the software update done either.

Spies said:
mwalsh said:
So the bottom line on the whole escapade was that I reached the gate to my community with the low fuel warning just coming on, and after just dipping into the first of the two remaining red bars on the SOC meter, showing a total distance driven of 71.5 miles.
Nice story! I am guessing you have not had the software update done either.

No, I passed on the software update. Oh, and I don't use the ECO mode either...don't care for what it does to acceleration.

Ack! Edit on the original post...that would have been Sunday the 15th.

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=58&terms=electric+vehicles said:
Electric Vehicle Parking
Free parking is available for electric vehicles only at charging stations located in the lower/arrivals level of Parking Structures 1 and 6 for up to a maximum of 30 days per visit.

No free parking privilege is available for Clean-fuel, Natural Gas-fueled and/or bi-fuel vehicles.

Good point, wouldn't want to be stuck with a surprise bill when leaving the terminal, better safe than out of of money. But to tell you the truth, I think there is no tracking of where you park in the structure. The license plate look up occurs when you enter I think.

Also just noticed no bi-fuel vehicles, doesn't that mean the Volt should be excluded?

BTW thanks for the report mwalsh. Very helpful because I'm planning to fly out in Aug, but I'm 48 miles from LAX. If I take the LEAF (IFF I get mine in July, that is), I would need to keep it plugged in, so I would have to use the other lot. However, I'm afraid that it would be occupied (only two J plugs there, I think).

Another option would be to stop at South Coast Plaza for an hr to get my 12 miles back (from my house to the mall) on the charger, then hope to make an 80 miles round trip from the mall to LAX (if the charge space is taken at LAX). Do you think 80 miles so doable on 100% charge if I keep the speed to 60mph?

This is one very specific scenario where I wish the LEAF had 100 miles EPA.

occ said:
BTW thanks for the report mwalsh. Very helpful because I'm planning to fly out in Aug, but I'm 48 miles from LAX. If I take the LEAF (IFF I get mine in July, that is), I would need to keep it plugged in, so I would have to use the other lot. However, I'm afraid that it would be occupied (only two J plugs there, I think).

Another option would be to stop at South Coast Plaza for an hr to get my 12 miles back (from my house to the mall) on the charger, then hope to make an 80 miles round trip from the mall to LAX (if the charge space is taken at LAX). Do you think 80 miles so doable on 100% charge if I keep the speed to 60mph?

there are a string of dealerships along the 405--Power is about 3 miles out and right at the Rosecrans on ramp. Gardena is in the neighborhood, but a mile from the freeway off at Western or 1.5-2 miles at Redondo Beach blvd.

occ said:

Don't forget that each of those Charge Point EVSEs probably also has a 120v outlet (double check to be sure). So that would be 4 possible charging connections you could use, providing you come up with an adequate way to secure your portable EVSE (I have locked mine to a chain wrapped around an immovable object before today).

mwalsh said:
occ said:
BTW thanks for the report mwalsh. Very helpful because I'm planning to fly out in Aug, but I'm 48 miles from LAX.

Don't forget that each of those Charge Point EVSEs probably also has a 120v outlet (double check to be sure). So that would be 4 possible charging connections you could use, providing you come up with an adequate way to secure your portable EVSE (I have locked mine to a chain wrapped around an immovable object before today).

they all have 240 and 120 connections. I am not ready yet to trust my EVSE at the LAX.

thankyouOB said:
they all have 240 and 120 connections. I am not ready yet to trust my EVSE at the LAX.

You could put it in the car and use an extension cord, passing it into the car and the e-hose (as Gary calls it) out of the car through a cracked window - I've seen a Volt owner do that before (though I don't know how long he was parked).

You could also ask a local volunteer to unplpug you and secure your unit. My office is in Hawthorne and I would be happy to trek out and unplug (and secure the portable EVSE of) anyone who needs such a service on days where I'm at work (normally M-F but currently M-W). I thought about asking to see if someone could do same for me, but eventually just went with non-charging.

Why not just put a small luggage padlock on the J plug? Then someone would have to break it to take it, and I do not believe that is at all likely.

BudRaymond said:
Why not just put a small luggage padlock on the J plug? Then someone would have to break it to take it, and I do not believe that is at all likely.

This is what I have done. I have two Master combo locks, model 630D, which do the trick nicely - one for the hole in the J1772 trigger and one for the body of the portable EVSE.

31nk%2BmZfHML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mwalsh said:
thankyouOB said:

You could put it in the car and use an extension cord, passing it into the car and the e-hose (as Gary calls it) out of the car through a cracked window - I've seen a Volt owner do that before (though I don't know how long he was parked).

You could also ask a local volunteer to unplpug you and secure your unit. My office is in Hawthorne and I would be happy to trek out and unplug (and secure the portable EVSE of) anyone who needs such a service on days where I'm at work (normally M-F but currently M-W). I thought about asking to see if someone could do same for me, but eventually just went with non-charging.

I am not that desperate, at LAX. I dont see how cracked window discourages a thief. They break windows, dont they?

Back