My Chevy VOLT Been in the shop 38+ Days, Still NOT Fixed &..

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
toasty said:
...I think electric cars are great, but they are much more complicated than a regular ICE car...

I sympathize with your experience, but BEVs are, in fact, far less complicated that ICEVs.

PHEVs are way more complicated than either, and that is the principle reason I would expect them to have very high long term operating costs.

i stand corrected. :)

i dont understand your reasons for not revealing the dealer but since i am not in your area, it wont affect me or anyone I know so i will continue to be comfortable recommending the Volt if it i

i cant not recommend the Volt based on an entity that has nothing to do with the design of the car. its a GM product and really has nothing to do with how an independent operator licensed by GM treats the vehicle or its customers.

toasty said:
I also think GM should never make a dealer, and a customer work together after BOTH no longer want to do so.
(ie. they was tired of trying to fix my car, and i was tired of them).
and yet the dealer only gets paid 3/8th of an hour rate to attempt to fix my car. (about $30.00 +/-).
no wonder, they dont want to try to fix it. They are rushing to beat the clock. ...
Which is why GM is insisting they do it. They are making the dealer eat part of the cost because they were the ones that botched the job. If you go to a new dealer, they'd have to reimburse that dealer at the full rate. You could probably make a big enough stink at this point, like filing with the BBB under the lemon law, and get them to agree to a new service dept. It seems obvious to me that the defect is not just in this center console fascia, but in the dash itself, keeping the fit from being tight.

now another volt owner, with a youtube video with screen issues too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnEKjehTnac&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toasty said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnEKjehTnac&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is the Volt's MFD the 1st model to use this exact screen? The Gen II Prius had the same issues - which eventually lead to a recall. Our 2004 took 3 years to finally exhibit symptoms prior to having it changed out.

mwalsh said:
toasty said:

I wonder if he's tried the battery disconnect trick?

Nah, he can't Mike. As soon as you disconnect the battery, the gas generator starts up to keep the charge sustained. :lol: :lol:

((I'm joking, but couldn't resist))

hill said:
toasty said:

Is the Volt's MFD the 1st model to use this exact screen? The Gen II Prius had the same issues - which eventually lead to a recall. Our 2004 took 3 years to finally exhibit symptoms prior to having it changed out.
Recall? I know the 04-05 Prius had MFD issues (which hobbit figured out at http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but I don't recall (pun intended) that Toyota did a recall.

Some got it fixed under warranty, and I think some got it fixed out of goodwill but others I think were stuck w/a bill.

As far as I know there was no recall for the MFD issues. I had mine die @ 80k miles. Luckily I had an extended warranty, otherwise I would have been charged $1400!

toasty said:

That video shows a software bug -- I can't imagine why that would be a hardware issue.

I've had one serious display bug that manifested itself on only one occasion. The center display in my early 2011 Volt froze while the "config" screens were being used. After a couple of minutes, I pulled into my destination (a restaurant) and turned off the car. The center display stayed frozen on. When I came back an hour later the center screen was off and when I started the car everything was back to normal. As in many computers, there was probably a low-level "watchdog timer" that eventually detected the frozen screen software and did a reset/reboot automatically. Not long after that the car had some standard software updates installed at the dealer and I haven't seen the problem again.

The only other problem is one I just recently noticed. I was driving with the alternate ('B') trip odometer displayed on the main driver screen and I switched over to the main ('A') odometer and noticed that the total miles and gasoline consumed fields were shown as "dashed" values similar to "----" but the average trip mpg field was displayed correctly. After switching between different options for data to display in that area of the screen (rotating the display information knob), the 'A' odometer data eventually was shown correctly. I consider that a minor issue but it's interesting that I'm just noticing it recently after 2 years of driving the car.

I haven't experienced any of the problems you have been having and have not seen much discussion of others having your car's issues. The service techs working on your car rseem to have competence issues.

Update. After 6months of issues, Its Finally Resolved.

A few days after this post.
GM/chevy offered to exchange my car for a new VOLT.

So Today, I got a BRAND new 2013 Chevy Volt.
GM recommended i should go to another dealer (not the one i had the problems from).
So i went to Jim Ellis Chevrolet ( http://www.jimellischevrolet.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). Its about 30miles from my house, but WELL worth the drive.

The sales manger personally helped me pick options (nav,leather,gps, lane departure warning, forward collision alert), color.

They handled all the paperwork issues, And had me in and out in a few hrs.
Gave me the full tour around the dealership, and even mentioned should i ever need service, they have a loaner Volt to use (hopefully i never will need it).

They even have a 6 EVSE solar powered charging station.

Similar to these

tracking-solar-tree-volt-charger-2.jpg

Chevrolet-Volt-solar-charging.jpg

toasty said:
A few days after this post.
GM/chevy offered to exchange my car for a new VOLT.

So Today, I got a BRAND new 2013 Chevy Volt.
Excellent news!! Thanks for the follow up.

Please consider putting an update at the TOP of your initial post with something like: UPDATE: <brief update> in Font Size: Large

DoxyLover said:
toasty said:
Slightly off subject, I want to see those planted all over! Beautiful!
But limited to L1 if they're running direct, otherwise you'll need a big battery bank and charge fewer than 6 cars. I count 60 modules; assuming they're a nominal 200W each that's only 12kW peak, times say 4 hours* average/day = 48kWh, divided by 6 = 4 kWh/car/day before the inevitable losses. It may be green, but you'd need far more modules per car to be a practical solution to charging vehicles that are being used (as opposed to waiting to be sold at a dealer). Drop it to 3 hours/day minimum for winter, and you're only getting 36 kWh on average.

*see Atlanta solar insolation data, Lat. +15 deg., fixed tilt, not tracking @ http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1961-1990/redbook/sum2/13874.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awesome that they took care of you and awesome that your new dealer has that solar array. :D

Mitt Romney should take a look this futuristic solar array picture and at the tesla supercharger stations and see what oil import independence can look like instead of his I hate EV funding and we should drill more oil stance... What a Loser. Speaking of losers, your other dealer employs a bunch of losers as well. I can't believe how they abused your car during service and then had the nerve to blame you... Losers.

Glad you had a happy ending.

Given that a solar panel setup of this size will generate no more than 40-50kWh per day, the Tesla's supercharger setup will generate enough juice for no more than one Model S per day, or even less.

So Tesla's claim that they are generating power for free, or generating power enough to offset the charging done in a Supercharger station is facetious..

Who cares. The fact that they are putting in charging stations is all that really matters!

mkjayakumar said:
Given that a solar panel setup of this size will generate no more than 40-50kWh per day, the Tesla's supercharger setup will generate enough juice for no more than one Model S per day, or even less. So Tesla's claim that they are generating power for free, or generating power enough to offset the charging done in a Supercharger station is facetious..

Back