My first loss of capacity (?) or temporary change....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow1

Ever since I started using leafspy around August (?) of last year, it has reported 22kWh at full charge. Last night I did a full charge at home and it is reporting 21.8kWh as current and fully charged. I have just crossed over 9K miles on the odometer and the battery was well drained before this charge (well, down to 10%) and it was left overnight on upgraded EVSE so plenty of time to finish charging and balance etc... Temp indicated by car was 48 with batteries reporting 62-68*.

So - is this my first quantifiable capacity loss or might this just be an anomaly? In the last couple weeks we've had a significant warm-up in temps (going from regularly below freezing to beautiful high 60's as highs). Mind you, I have expected some loss to show up sometime and frankly this 1% decrease isn't really much, but I wonder what I can expect going forward....

Slow1 said:
Ever since I started using leafspy around August (?) of last year, it has reported 22kWh at full charge. Last night I did a full charge at home and it is reporting 21.8kWh as current and fully charged. I have just crossed over 9K miles on the odometer and the battery was well drained before this charge (well, down to 10%) and it was left overnight on upgraded EVSE so plenty of time to finish charging and balance etc... Temp indicated by car was 48 with batteries reporting 62-68*.

So - is this my first quantifiable capacity loss or might this just be an anomaly? In the last couple weeks we've had a significant warm-up in temps (going from regularly below freezing to beautiful high 60's as highs). Mind you, I have expected some loss to show up sometime and frankly this 1% decrease isn't really much, but I wonder what I can expect going forward....

You can expect your battery to degrade :) Monitor the AHr reading instead of the stored energy as it more reliably represents the state of health.

Slow1 said:

If you have quick charge option try doing one quick charge and then repeat the full charge and check. I am seeing strange fluctuations, I can see anywhere from 64 AHR down to 62 on each charge. But I have noticed when I do a quick charge the capacity, or reported capacity, jumps.

Which is obviously against common wisdom.

epirali said:
I am seeing strange fluctuations, I can see anywhere from 64 AHR down to 62 on each charge. But I have noticed when I do a quick charge the capacity, or reported capacity, jumps.
Are you doing a "FULL" quick charge (and about to what percentage does that get to? Most quick charges on my 2012 get to about 75% before they stop (think they are done..)) or stopping early?

I quick charge a fair amount, but almost never full (either real full or what the charger thinks is full).

desiv

I just noticed an oddness in my capacity. I L2 charge to 100% every day at work (typically finishing charging at 1PM), and I use LeafSpy Pro to see the GIDs before I drive home.

All during the fall, the car would report somewhere around 266-276 GIDs at the end of the day. When the weather turned cold in December (below freezing), and I turned on the climate control timer, I found the car at 284 GIDs every time at the end of the day. Only on very cold days (< 10°F) would it be 282 or so (after the heater had been on for 20 minutes).

Now the weather is nice again and most of the snow piles are gone (only the piles that were over 30' remain... and they are rapidly disappearing at 60°F). Two weeks ago I turned off the climate timer. And all of last week, I noticed that once again my max GIDs at the end of the day has been in the mid-270s.

I doubt this is capacity loss, but I'm surprised I was getting a greater effective charge when it was cold out.

jlv said:
I just noticed an oddness in my capacity. I L2 charge to 100% every day at work (typically finishing charging at 1PM), and I use LeafSpy Pro to see the GIDs before I drive home.

All during the fall, the car would report somewhere around 266-276 GIDs at the end of the day. When the weather turned cold in December (below freezing), and I turned on the climate control timer, I found the car at 284 GIDs every time at the end of the day. Only on very cold days (< 10°F) would it be 282 or so (after the heater had been on for 20 minutes).

Now the weather is nice again and most of the snow piles are gone (only the piles that were over 30' remain... and they are rapidly disappearing at 60°F). Two weeks ago I turned off the climate timer. And all of last week, I noticed that once again my max GIDs at the end of the day has been in the mid-270s.

I doubt this is capacity loss, but I'm surprised I was getting a greater effective charge when it was cold out.

That is unusual. What are your AHr ratings? Constant? I believe GIDs are "elastic" in the amount of charge they hold.

Back