My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WWBD said:
With my insurance company the coverage begins retroactively from the date of purchase, no matter when you call to set up the new policy. I.E., you are going to end up paying from day 1 of ownership, whether you call them right away or wait the month.

That's standard.

EVDRIVER said:
WWBD said:
With my insurance company the coverage begins retroactively from the date of purchase, no matter when you call to set up the new policy. I.E., you are going to end up paying from day 1 of ownership, whether you call them right away or wait the month.

That's standard.

Whenever I buy a car, I discuss the rate before-hand with my insurance company, get a quote, and then call from the dealer while they're handing me the keys to activate the insurance. I like my insurance company, but the fine print is written BY them in THEIR favor....I don't want to rely on any 'policy' concerning insurance. I flat out ask them on the recorded phone call "So as of this second, this new car is covered?"

I belong to the "better safe than sorry" club. :cool:

Just got the quote from Geico. They do have LEAF in their database. Quoted price for 12 months is about $650.00. That seems to be reasonable going by the quotes from some other insurers. I might try to get in touch with Ameriprise (Costco) and AAA. I still have time till at least March unless dashboard goes to April.

Harvinder

Harv said:
Just got the quote from Geico. They do have LEAF in their database. Quoted price for 12 months is about $650.00. That seems to be reasonable going by the quotes from some other insurers. I might try to get in touch with Ameriprise (Costco) and AAA. I still have time till at least March unless dashboard goes to April.

Harvinder
I got $229 for 6 months from Progressive.

Gonewild said:
Harv said:

Harvinder
I got $229 for 6 months from Progressive.

Thanks Gonewild. It seems worthwhile exploring Progressive as well.

Harvinder

My insurance agent (with Allstate) gave me a quote today of "$282.00 every six months" to insure a LEAF. Of course, that's with discounts for our driving records and all our other policies with them. Not bad, IMHO.

Yanquetino said:
My insurance agent (with Allstate) gave me a quote today of "$282.00 every six months" to insure a LEAF. Of course, that's with discounts for our driving records and all our other policies with them. Not bad, IMHO.

That sounds insanely inexpensive.....they DO know the Leaf is a car and not a motorcycle, right?? :mrgreen: :lol:

Jimmydreams said:
That sounds insanely inexpensive.....they DO know the Leaf is a car and not a motorcycle, right?? :mrgreen: :lol:
Allstate refused to insure my first motorcycle, which is why I'm not an Allstate customer anymore ;)

Jimmydreams said:
:lol: Yeah... they know. And now I've got them seriously interested in the LEAF. Of course, they make their money off all our other policies, so it's not as if they are living hand-to-mouth. ;)

Too bad I have to wait another year to take delivery, huh? Today for the first time my solar array generated 30+ kWh... yet I still can't drive on all that sunshine. :cry:

Allstate- google them . Crooked company, I sued them and won a settlement, they attempted to scam me (their model) but they expected me to fold and go away, also their model. You find out how good your insurance company is when you file a claim or someone sues you. I have to say AAA has never given me a single issue of any kind and I've used them for over 25 years.

Geico FTW. Only $45 more than the Prius every 6 months. I have unfortunately had a claim before and they were great.

Farmers agent told me that they don't have the LEAF in their system and could not give me a quote until the get it added. AAA gave me a great quote that was also lower than my current Farmers pricing on the other car and the house. Hmmm.... time to switch I think. I left it in Farmers court to come back with a better quote and get me a quote on the LEAF, but I am probably not going to be patient enough to wait on their quote in a couple weeks... :?

malloryk said:
I've always had the minimum required coverage before. NMAC requires bodily injury liability of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence, property damage liability of $50,000 per occurrence and $1,000 max deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage. I didn't really read the lease contract before I signed it so I should've done that. But I think the dealership should've mentioned it too. I certainly wasn't covered for all that when I drove off the lot.

So I got it straightened out with Mercury today. It's only going to cost me an extra $15 (for the 6 mos.) to make sure I'm covered. They gave me a little workaround: I still have the same coverage as before but if Nissan ever steps in, they'll insure me to the amount that Nissan requires. I have to say that I've had good experience with Mercury. I've filed two auto claims with them in the last 4 years and they were great to work with (the most recent accident my fault, the other one was not my fault but they determined no-fault which didn't affect my rates). I also have renters insurance with them so I get a discount for that.

malloryk said:
malloryk said:
I've always had the minimum required coverage before. NMAC requires bodily injury liability of $100,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence, property damage liability of $50,000 per occurrence and $1,000 max deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage. I didn't really read the lease contract before I signed it so I should've done that. But I think the dealership should've mentioned it too. I certainly wasn't covered for all that when I drove off the lot.

So I got it straightened out with Mercury today. It's only going to cost me an extra $15 (for the 6 mos.) to make sure I'm covered. They gave me a little workaround: I still have the same coverage as before but if Nissan ever steps in, they'll insure me to the amount that Nissan requires. I have to say that I've had good experience with Mercury. I've filed two auto claims with them in the last 4 years and they were great to work with (the most recent accident my fault, the other one was not my fault but they determined no-fault which didn't affect my rates). I also have renters insurance with them so I get a discount for that.

Good to hear. I have Mercury too and was wondering what kind of rate increase I would be looking at. When I phoned my agent back in November they did not yet have any information on the LEAF but based on the drivetrain and price of the vehicle they suggested the difference would be nominal. Also, its nice to see that someone else has a LEAF who is not a home owner! (Having a cool landlord helps!)

LBCev said:
Good to hear. I have Mercury too and was wondering what kind of rate increase I would be looking at. When I phoned my agent back in November they did not yet have any information on the LEAF but based on the drivetrain and price of the vehicle they suggested the difference would be nominal. Also, its nice to see that someone else has a LEAF who is not a home owner! (Having a cool landlord helps!)

It does help! I take it you also have a cool landlord? Yeah, Mercury is basing it on the price of the car, which is a lot more than my other car. Hope you get a good quote from them!

PDXLeafer said:
Farmers agent told me that they don't have the LEAF in their system and could not give me a quote until the get it added. AAA gave me a great quote that was also lower than my current Farmers pricing on the other car and the house. Hmmm.... time to switch I think. I left it in Farmers court to come back with a better quote and get me a quote on the LEAF, but I am probably not going to be patient enough to wait on their quote in a couple weeks... :?

my agent did better than that (also Farmers) they told me it would be $65 a month (which i knew was BS) but then again, could not specify why since it was not in the data base. so got forms today and insurance has miraculously dropped to $278.57 for 6 months. ok. np

Mercury called me to see what the mileage was on my other cars so I asked them how much would it be to add the Leaf to my policy with the same coverage, 250/500 with a 1M umbrella. $42.50 per month to add the Leaf :D

It' funny to see people compare rates which is pointless unless you have the EXACT same coverages, age, record, discounts and live in the same zip code and park in the same place. Just changing my zip code to blocks away is a $200 difference.

EVDRIVER said:
It' funny to see people compare rates which is pointless unless you have the EXACT same coverages, age, record, discounts and live in the same zip code and park in the same place. Just changing my zip code to blocks away is a $200 difference.
Yes. What is useful is comparing to other cars of the owner ....

Back