My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
csriram45 said:
While the quotes are nice can people list their deductibles as well as coverages? Without them it's useless. My quote with Ameriprise came to $430/6 months with multi car discount etc.

Coverage $100,000/300,000 deductibles $100,$100
You won't see too many people listing deductibles and coverages due to the risks involved. The primary purpose of my post was to show that quotes can vary to the extreme and that it will (literally) pay to shop around.

DarkStar said:
csriram45 said:
While the quotes are nice can people list their deductibles as well as coverages? Without them it's useless. My quote with Ameriprise came to $430/6 months with multi car discount etc.

You won't see too many people listing deductibles and coverages due to the risks involved. The primary purpose of my post was to show that quotes can vary to the extreme and that it will (literally) pay to shop around.

Interesting. What risks? We are merely speaking of quotes aren't we? What am I missing?

csriram45 said:
DarkStar said:
csriram45 said:

Interesting. What risks? We are merely speaking of quotes aren't we? What am I missing?
The risks are that lawers do a lot more data-mining these days and love to know what insurance coverages people have. :D

Stoaty said:
DarkStar said:
The risks are that lawers do a lot more data-mining these days and love to know what insurance coverages people have. :D
Yes, but how will they find out my real name and address?
The "art" of data-mining is one that could spur a huge debate... If one wanted to know bad enough (and had the resources) they would be able to get it. Rule #1 of the Internet is to never post anything you aren't comfortable yelling in a public space (or putting on a jumbo-tron, for images).

Just got a quote from 21st Century. I have very good coverages, but 2002 Camry costs $644 for 6 months, while the Leaf was quoted at $997 for 6 months with the same coverage. For both cars $1332 for 6 months with (11-12 K miles estimated for Leaf and 3-4 K miles estimated for Camry). I live in LA, but cost shouldn't be this high. The woman who gave me the quote wasn't even sure that they would insure an all electric car until she checked. Looks like time to shop around!!!

I had progressive and was originally quoted $229 for 6 months but when I called back and said the car is here how much is my policy it jumped to about $800. I called Geico and got same coverage 100/300,00 etc for $306.40 and with my other car included $470 6 months.

csriram45 said:
There are so many things that go into the insurance quote - zip code, driving history, age etc etc. You just can't compare with what others get. It only makes sense relatively i.e. how much does Leaf insurance cost compared to what we pay for other cars in the family (or my earlier car).

Just went online with Geico and added the Leaf and dropped a 2002 Lexus ES. Net impact was about +$20/month, which I think is reasonable for the higher book value on the collision/comprehensive coverage.

So, I would say Geico is charging reasonable rates for the Leaf.

Zip code 94070, San Carlos, CA. 100/300/50 coverages, 2 drivers, 4 cars(including Leaf) 10,000 miles a year for Leaf, 30 mile round trip commute, kept in locked garage at night, excellent credit(over 800) $355 every 6 month for Leaf with State Farm.

Let's think about what an insurance company might do if , through no fault of your own, somebody smashed into your Leaf and totalled it.

IMO, you would want your car replaced with another Leaf. I know I would. Which would mean going to the back of the 1 year wait line. Or could you push the insurance company to find a similar Leaf in the used market, at whatever price it took to get it.

You would be dealing with the 'at fault' drivers insurance company, so it would be their responsibility to make you whole. Waiting a year would not be acceptable, IMO. Any precedent for how this would be handled ?

AmarilloLeaf said:
Let's think about what an insurance company might do if , through no fault of your own, somebody smashed into your Leaf and totalled it.

IMO, you would want your car replaced with another Leaf. I know I would. Which would mean going to the back of the 1 year wait line. Or could you push the insurance company to find a similar Leaf in the used market, at whatever price it took to get it.

You would be dealing with the 'at fault' drivers insurance company, so it would be their responsibility to make you whole. Waiting a year would not be acceptable, IMO. Any precedent for how this would be handled ?
Sorry to say, but they will simply cut you a check. There's zero chance you will be compensated for having to wait. If I found myself in such a plight, I'd try working up to high levels at Nissan to see if I could get a car. Of course the fun wouldn't stop there...you'd have tax credits and rebates to deal with.

Farmers looked for the prices of nearly-equivalent condition, same model cars, and even accepted our input, before the check amount was decided upon.

Presumably, they do not have a max at new MSRP, otherwise the loss of an older (or not available new) model that had appreciated would be not compensated fairly.

I will try to check with my Farmer's agent.

Got my quote from Allstate yesterday. For comparison, the car I will be dumping is a 1987 Honda Civic SI=$147.00/6 mos. The Leaf will be $190.00/6 mos. Same coverage($0 ded on comp).

rawhog said:
Allstate. The Leaf will be $190.00/6 mos. Same coverage($0 ded on comp).

Allstate with cheap rates? NO WAY. Do you have the car now? If so then good for you. But if it is just a quote that low rate may change.

Never had them change a rate from the quote before. No reason to think they will now. My agent said give him a call the day I pick it up and they will turn it on. I have always had good rates with Allstate. Might be because the same agent has all of my insurance.

FWIW, I just got a quote from our Farmer's agent. Having the VIN came in handy! Given the same policy limits, etc., the premiums on the LEAF will be almost identical to our 2010 Prius II, which I find to be very reasonable considering that the LEAF is a more expensive car. Farmer's does have an "alternative fuel" discount which helps some, and in general, we have found them to be competitive. Our agent is in the Los Angeles area and has served us well for over a decade. Feel free to PM me if you would like his phone number.

Also, I ended up on the phone with my agent for a long time talking about current EVs. He is into cars and currently drives a big muscle car with a V8. But he had plenty of questions about EVs and mentioned that perhaps he should purchase a LEAF. :)

Back