My LEAF saved my life last night.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devin! Thank God you're OK!

It's sad to see the Leaf smashed up like that! :(

Happy Birthday and don't forget to keep the EVSE!!!!

Sorry to hear about this incident, Devin! Glad you were able to walk away from it. Please let us know about the next chapter in your EV adventure.

Yes, we all appreciate what you went through and the good safety features of the Leaf. Thanks for sharing your harrowing story. Do you know anything about the other driver? Was he hurt? Was he drunk? Was he charged or cited with anything? Was he insured? Please fill us in when you learn more.

Rat said:
Yes, we all appreciate what you went through and the good safety features of the Leaf. Thanks for sharing your harrowing story. Do you know anything about the other driver? Was he hurt? Was he drunk? Was he charged or cited with anything? Was he insured? Please fill us in when you learn more.
I didn't speak to the other driver but he was not hurt. The LAPD allowed him to drive away afterwards (his car was drivable). He was insured, thankfully, and I've already been in contact with the adjuster from his insurance company (Progressive) and mine (Farmer's). When I last spoke to the Progressive adjuster he said that he just needed to get a statement from the other driver and then they'd proceed. Without actually admitting or agreeing to anything he did indicate that the other driver would most likely be at fault, so hopefully that will make the situation move somewhat smoothly.

pchilds said:
Now you can buy a 2014 RAV4 EV. :cool:

From the comments everyone is sold out of the RAV4 EV. I know that if I could work the numbers that would be my vehicle.

Glad you are OK!!!

I was rear ended a few months ago stopped at a stoplight. The other driver was going 35mph. No airbags deployed and I was a bit whiplashed but fine. My leaf needed a new rear hatch and a new rear bumper but was in pretty good shape after the accident. The car that hit me looked much worse. The leaf is pretty safe from my exp as well. It cost 2500 to fix.

wow feeling a bit hypocritical saying happy birthday (mine was on Monday) to a fellow pieces but now you can get the upgraded LEAF and its definitely a better car.

one thing i see in the picture is passenger space that looks to be completelty in tact. no distortion visible here and definitely nothing even approaching risk of a crush injury and that makes me feel good. a side collision on the passenger side I am guessing makes it the easiest to survive but the multiple after effects is scary. so happy you have no physical effects as of yet.

having been in 4 accidents (only driving in one) none of which we were at fault, you should have no issues getting the claim filed but might want to ask police if there are any traffic cameras in the area. in our cheapest collision in parking lot at ~ 5 mph, the other driver claimed SO was backing out and hit him as he passed by. well a surveillance camera showed he hit her before she even entered the car!

I went over to get the rest of my stuff out of the LEAF this morning and meet with the adjuster. She said she was impressed that I was standing there talking to her given the damage. She said it was an obvious total loss and that I should be hearing from the total loss department either tomorrow or Thursday. Seeing the car in the daylight definitely makes me realize how lucky I am. I took some more photos: http://imgur.com/a/my9AH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm looking at leasing either a 2014 SL + Premium Package or a 2014 RAV4 EV right now.

Glad to hear you are ok. Good luck finishing with the insurance co. Let us know what you end up with.

oh, and I did not realize it got so cold in soCal (-22F).

palmermd said:
Glad to hear you are ok. Good luck finishing with the insurance co. Let us know what you end up with.

oh, and I did not realize it got so cold in soCal (-22F).
Neither did I! And here I was wearing a t-shirt. :lol:

Update!

Insurance wound up paying $19.2k, which I thought was pretty fair all things considered. I tracked it down, it's pending auction if anyone's interested. At the time of collision it had about 50% SOC. My last LEAFSpy reading was 54.11AHr. I'll be curious to see what it ends up going for. Here's the listing (the wrecker's seem to have inadvertently swapped the headlights :lol: ): https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=16409436&RowNumber=16&loadRecent=True#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wound up leasing a blue 2014 RAV4 EV. So far so good. Nice to have a legitimate 100 miles of range, and that's on a normal (non-extended) charge.

My little scar from the LEAF's airbag is nearly gone. I'll probably be putting the floor mats and cargo organizer up for sale soon. I took everything not bolted down out of the car because I wasn't sure if I was getting another LEAF or the RAV by then.

Back