My new car, my deal and my driving situation...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeR

So I just got my new Leaf today and while I am exicted to use it, I'm very nervous as well. I decided to go with a lease with an option to buy as since these are newer cars, who knows if any bugs may come out a few years down the road, also the technology may be that much better in 3 years, so it just made sence for my situation.

The most important part of this deal was getting my dealership to included a charging station as well as $1k towards the install. When I spoke to my sales guy on the phone, he told me that While Nissan did offer the free charging station in the beginging of the month, they no longer had that available. So I decided to drive down to the dealership and press my luck anyways. While the negotiations were going on, I got them to agree to the $1k, but no charging station, then I got the charging station but no $1k for the install....So after a few well placed "attempted" walk outs on my part, they were all but to happy to call me back into the office with "great news!". I was leaving the dealership plus one new leaf, a new charging station and my $1k for the install!

I have my initial appointment the day after tomorrow and was told that my new charging station should be up and running within 1-2 weeks.

My daily commute is 50 miles so car seems to fit well for that. My work has two charging ports so this will be my main station for charging and I'll use my new set up at home for emergencies of for those days my "honey-do" list is to long!

I see an overwhelming amount of info here so Ill be lurking about in the forums for awhile and I look foward to learning alot from you guys during my stay!!

Congrats! Please check in with the EV Project ASAP to see if your area was included, and you would qualify. Other than that, you might want to look into EVSE Upgrade as well. Highly recommended if you had a washer or dryer outlet in the garage.

Congrats and smart move on leasing the Leaf. Let us know where you are located in the U.S.A. for advise. If in hot weather, keep an eye on the battery capacity bars as there may be an issue with early battery degradation. If in cool, weather you will be fine and reduced range whenever using heater.

Ian B

Congratulations on your Leaf, and getting your EVSE thrown in!
My commute each day is about 50 miles roundtrip as well. Range hasn't been a problem, but we're trying to get charging stations put in at work-or at least permission to plug-in to 120V. Great that you have them at work.
There is indeed a lot of info and helpful folks here.
Welcome!

Congrats, sounds like you worked them and got a great deal.
I am a fifty plus a day commuter as well. You will find that level two charging is the way to go, hopefully you don't have to wait months to have your EVSE installed like I did. The lesson I learned from that experience is to apply pressure until you see results.
Welcome to Forum, there is so much information in this forum and allot of really great/smart people actively contribute daily. So it will probably take you a few months to get caught up.
Don't be nervous and enjoy the freedom...

surfingslovak said:
Congrats! Please check in with the EV Project ASAP to see if your area was included, and you would qualify. Other than that, you might want to look into EVSE Upgrade as well. Highly recommended if you had a washer or dryer outlet in the garage.

Thanks for the heads up!

MrIanB said:
Congrats and smart move on leasing the Leaf. Let us know where you are located in the U.S.A. for advise. If in hot weather, keep an eye on the battery capacity bars as there may be an issue with early battery degradation. If in cool, weather you will be fine and reduced range whenever using heater.

Ian B

I'm here in Hawaii, mostly 80-90 degree weather. Hopefully I'll be okay!

KWG22 said:
Congratulations on your Leaf, and getting your EVSE thrown in!
My commute each day is about 50 miles roundtrip as well. Range hasn't been a problem, but we're trying to get charging stations put in at work-or at least permission to plug-in to 120V. Great that you have them at work.
There is indeed a lot of info and helpful folks here.
Welcome!

Yea, I'm very thankful that my company is very green!

HairyCairy said:
Congrats, sounds like you worked them and got a great deal.
I am a fifty plus a day commuter as well. You will find that level two charging is the way to go, hopefully you don't have to wait months to have your EVSE installed like I did. The lesson I learned from that experience it to apply pressure until you see results.
Welcome to Forum, there is so much information in this forum and allot of really great/smart people actively contribute daily. So it will probably take you a few months to get caught up.
Don't be nervous and enjoy the freedom...

Yes, ALOT of info here! I already got my $1k from the dealership and my first appointment is Thursday. I pretty good at applying pressure if needed, we'll see!!!

Congrats on the Leaf! I leased mine, going on 3 weeks old right now. I commute around 75miles RT. Im able to Trickle Charge at work most days, but there are 3 FREE L2's on my way to and from work if I ever need to stop. I get my L2 via ECOTALITY installed tomorrow. Its FREE however you still pay installation - 650 off install So thats still around $1000. Oh well..cant win all the time.

I with Washington DC traffic, i really push my Leaf to the max. Using the Seat and Steering Wheel heaters takes away from the urge to pump heat on and occasionally if i needed to last week i put the air on. I avg 35-40mph most of my commute. The Range Anxiety dies down after the first week. Im very happy with the ownership. Just need more L2's in my area and Ill be set.

Check out Plugshare.com for local owners sharing their chargers/plugs and even though you got some extra cash from Nissan for the charger, push to get the free ECOTALITY charger if available.

Congrats again!

where you located and let me clarify? you plan to charge only at work?

i believe this to be a mistake.

1) you should do 80% charging both at home and work.

2) your home electricity costs would be almost insignificant

3) charging only on one end (work) it would then be highly recommended you charge to 100%. you can do it on 80% but that leaves you no options to vary your daily routine.

overall; i think your choice (guessing its to save money) is unwise

Back